Are you afraid you'll get bitten by a shark if you swim in the ocean?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. rutley profile image64
    rutleyposted 12 years ago

Are you afraid you'll get bitten by a shark if you swim in the ocean?

Did I watch Jaws to many times?

2. DanielNeff profile image59
    DanielNeffposted 12 years ago

No, you didn't. You're probably smarter than the rest of us.
    I don't think about it despite the fact that I am well aware they are out there.
    Two particular incidents heighten my awareness. When I was at the Gulf Coast years ago, walking on the beach at night, I witnessed a 10' shark about 50 yards off shore. As a wave broke, you  could see him in the wave, reflecting light from the shore.
    Another time, we were near a campground at San Destin, FL one summer day in 2006, swimming in the surf. A couple days later we heard on the news that a 14-year-old girl was attacked and killed at that very spot.

3. Moon Willow Lake profile image68
    Moon Willow Lakeposted 12 years ago

I absolutely am afraid of that! Whenever I visit an ocean again (as I do not live near one currently), I do not plan to go in the water any deeper than my knees! I'll save swimming for my local lakes and other indoor/outdoor pools!

4. toys-everywhere profile image62
    toys-everywhereposted 12 years ago

No, not swimming, but I do worry about surfing and boogie boards, as they make one look, literally, like Shark Bait. From the bottom anyways.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

I grew up at the beach and spent my youth in the Pacific Ocean - and never gave sharks a thought.  Then when I was about 20 I saw JAWS---it scared me to death and I never really looked at swimming in the ocean the same way again.

My brother lives in No. Calif where there have been a lot of great white shark attacks and he still surfs daily - I live away from the ocean now but I don't think I could get in the water in that area daily without huge fear.

6. Adventure Colorad profile image78
    Adventure Coloradposted 12 years ago

I'm pretty well landlocked in Colorado, so I don't get to swim in the ocean a lot. When I do, I try to research the amount of and type of sharks in the area and the chances of encountering them. Just as a little precaution goes a long way in preventing lightning strikes while outdoors.

7. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

No.....I fear my inability to swim for my life.

8. sportgames profile image60
    sportgamesposted 12 years ago

The probability of getting bitten by a shark is very small.
    You shouldn't be scare of sharks, you have a better chance to get hit by a car.

9. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

Definitely... and in the last few months people have been attacked by sharks. I get uncomfortable if friends decide to swim in the ocean too.

My attitude is: We came on holiday together and we are all going back home together.... in one piece. lol

10. samtenabray profile image60
    samtenabrayposted 12 years ago

Not at all and i live in Australia, just a bit of common sense should be fine to keep you out of harms way.

11. teaches12345 profile image77
    teaches12345posted 12 years ago

I live near the ocean and that is a real concern when you are in the water. I always swim at beaches with lifeguards for this reason. However, I still venture out because life is about taking risks and trusting you will make it.

12. hawkdad73 profile image61
    hawkdad73posted 12 years ago

Yes, the fear petrifies me.  Is it bad that I have the same fear on land?  I'm also afraid of giant toddler-sized rats biting off my feet.

13. mikejhca profile image93
    mikejhcaposted 12 years ago

Yes, but not enough to stop me from swimming where it should be safe.  When I was fishing in the ocean a shark bit my large fish in half when I was reeling it in.  I also saw some small sharks when I was in shallow water near shore.  However I felt the beach was safe enough because people were using the beach and the small sharks I saw near shore were not dangerous.

14. SuperheroSales profile image58
    SuperheroSalesposted 12 years ago

I didn't use to be afraid of being bitten by a shark while swimming because all of the data says it is very rare.  I would snorkel without a care in the world.

However, this past summer I began a blog that one day a week summarized all of the shark attacks that had happened that week.  I had no idea that horrible shark attacks were happening so often.  It definitely opened my eyes up to the possibility of being bitten, how bad those bites could be, and how many different types of sharks are out there that could bite you (along with aggression levels).

I haven't been in the ocean since but I know it will take some bravery when I do get back in the ocean water.

15. truthisntstupid profile image60
    truthisntstupidposted 12 years ago

They say the chances of being attacked by a shark are very small. I think they must be right, since when I was a young man stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa, Fla, I became addicted to sharkfishing. I and a friend of mine used to go to Clearwater beach on weekend nights before I ever owned a boat. I had a huge Penn Senator 16/0 reel on a deep sea Ugly stick.
    That reel held a half-mile of 130-lb test line. No way you're casting a big, bloody, 10-pound hunk of cut bait more than 5 feet with that thing! My buddy would hold my rod while I swam (yes, SWAM!) my bait out a couple hundred yards, then when I got back, I would hold his rod while he swam his bait out. It was after dark when we were doing this! Talk about spooky!
    We caught 8 - 10 foot bull sharks pretty regularly. They never bothered us when we were swimming our bait out, but looking back on it, I sure wouldn't do it now.
    A couple years later, I was stationed on Diego Garcia, a small island right on the equator smack in the middle of the Indian Ocean. The water was crystal-clear...and beautiful. Often while snorkeling I would wind up over a half-mile from the beach in 50 feet of water. The coral reefs, the six-foot barracudas, the fantastic abundance of life was intoxicating...but the waters were shark-infested.
    The first time a 10 or 12 foot oceanic whitetip reef shark comes and circles around you while it's checking you out (can I eat that?) it really freaks you out and you don't go back in the water for a week. You can see its eye, looking back at you while you're watching it. Pretty scary the first time or two, and you never do really get used to it.
    But I never had any trouble...even when there was blood everywhere, once when a friend tried to follow me down to 60 feet. He didn't know how to equalize the pressure and burst an eardrum. We were in 60 feet of water and over a half-mile out.
    No, sharks don't consider us a normal part of their menu.
    If they did, I wouldn't be here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)