Do you talk about social inequalities with your children? Why or why not?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. KrystalD profile image67
    KrystalDposted 12 years ago

Do you talk about social inequalities with your children? Why or why not?

We live in a world full of change. Inequalities exist and people are again rising to show their distain for it. Do you think it is important to teach children about these issues or do you think these topics are better left for later?

2. Ian Dabasori Hetr profile image74
    Ian Dabasori Hetrposted 12 years ago

I don't have kids yet but when just few years back when I was a kid, mum and dad use to talk a great deal about social inequalities. Dad would say social in quality is great divisional factor in good social relations leading to hatred, ill-will. immorality and in general a chaotic society.  Good times lost. Learnt a lot from my parents and should impart the knowledge to my kids when the time is right.

3. lawdoctorlee profile image82
    lawdoctorleeposted 12 years ago

I believe it is important to teach children about social inequality from the perspective of the past, present, and future.  In other words - what types of social inequality have existed in the world, what current social inequalities do we have, and how can we effect the future.  Teaching children about these issues promotes critical thinking skills and getting them to express themselves about how they feel about social inequality helps to develop confidence in their expression.  Of course, all conversations with children should be age appropriate.  A general rule of thumb is:  if they ask, then they're ready to know.  Always make sure the lines of communication between you and your children are open - that nothing is off the table.  You will be respected and trusted as the parent.  I raised my three children that way - they are now all in their 20s.  I've been told that discussions related to social inequality helped them to appreciate all they have; and they learned not to prejudge someone else. 

Read my related hubs at:

http://lawdoctorlee.hubpages.com/hub/Ra … on-Society

http://lawdoctorlee.hubpages.com/hub/Af … st-Century

4. Josak profile image61
    Josakposted 12 years ago

Don't have kids but I am raising my little brother and I think its incredibly important, he and I go to volunteer at homeless shelters every weekend together and when he works with me in my shop half his wage is his to keep and half is donated to a charity of his choice, its been great to see him develop a social conscience ad learn to care bout those less fortunate.

5. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

My son sometimes comes with questions to me. I always let him know since...always. Why? Because, I want him to have knowledge and clear vision to make the right choices for himself now and in the future.
    If we know as children those things, we may be more tempted to do job training during summer, take extra classes, ponder what we want to do in the future...not to get caught like so many who have great potential but no preparation or wrong ones!
    I also want him to embrace the world and work through it, not fight or get stuck...knowledge gives light, light makes the way clearer for one, especially young ones.
    Love and peace to all and blessings.

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 12 years ago

I sort of try, but I am hampered by a wife who tries to spoil them and an ex-wife who spoils them even more. I want to instill curiousity in these kids, which is difficult with so many stimuli out there. The toughest thing is getting them away from video games and television so that they can spend time with me, enjoy the outdoors, and find time just to think. Thinking is important for children. They used to be able to do it while riding in the car. Now they have portable games and movies to keep them preoccupied 100% of the time. I don't want to shove political issues down their throats without them asking the questions first. The most I get is to read with them and sneak in some history lessons here and there.

7. xethonxq profile image67
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

I absolutely talk about social inequalities with my kids. I do it in a way to invite discussion and abstract thinking rather than impose what my beliefs are...although they do know what my beliefs are too.

8. perfectperception profile image60
    perfectperceptionposted 12 years ago

Yes because they are young me and need to know how to handle themselves in different situations.

9. inspired2excel profile image60
    inspired2excelposted 12 years ago

I am so thrilled to have an opportunity to answer a question on this topic. For many years I have been frustrated with listening to the things people would say to their children about their cultural heritage or color specifically.
    It has always... read more

10. inspired2excel profile image60
    inspired2excelposted 12 years ago

I was am so glad you asked this question. I began to answer it and it turned into a hub because of the amount I had to say about it.

My bottom line is - It has always been my belief that if the negative seed is planted, it too shall grow, but not into the pure and precious flower it could have become without the negative influences. We live in a land of TOTAL opportunity and if you don't find that to be true where you live then it might be best to look inside of your mind to see what kinds of conditioning you grew up with and try to change your self-perception. If it is a fact that you are in an area that doesn't allow your own growth and dreams to foster, then do research and MOVE to the right climate that would allow you to thrive and develop into the person you desire to become and share that with your children. You have permission to be anyone you want to be and the right to live your dreams in this country. That is what children believe until someone ruins their beliefs or plants an unproductive seed in their mind.

Read my related hub at - http://inspired2excel.hubpages.com/hub/ … hould-know

11. MarleneB profile image90
    MarleneBposted 12 years ago

I can talk a lot about social inequalities and I share this fact of life with my children. Nothing can ever be equal. There are going to be rich people and there are going to be poor people - good/bad, honest/dishonest - no matter what we do, we can never make things equal. All we can do is have the attitude that we are going to do the best that we can to do right by ourselves. What I have learned in life is that even when I come across someone who is bent on making things wrong for me, keeping a positive attitude about myself allows me to respond in a way that keeps me dignified, gaining a little more respect, and in most cases, a little more favor than I would have received had I not maintained my composure and levelheadedness.

12. Starr Poetress profile image61
    Starr Poetressposted 11 years ago

Yes I do. I tell them that people look at one another differently because of social inequalities. Yet, what I teach them is regardless of who a person is socially, they still bleed the same as we do, they still want to be loved like we do, and they still work hard at what they do. Therefore, we need to treat everyone the same regardless or race, creed, work place, religion, monetary status, fame status etc...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)