Will Artist ever live in the glory they deserve while they're living?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (32 posts)
  1. sparksdaniel2000 profile image72
    sparksdaniel2000posted 14 years ago

I think Warhol was the last Living Legend Art has had...

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

have you heard of
      Candido Portinari, Howard Hodgkin, Francis Bacon, Michael Hussar, Michael Hutter, Fernando Botero... and many others?
      I think some of them are greater than Warhol and they are living  ,or had lived the glory they deserved.
      Looks as you don't know much about art !

1. jiberish profile image80
        jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I admire anyone who can appreciate abstact are, but I can't get into Hodgkin, and don't like Botero, would never hang one in my house.

I wouldn't either lol But he's great nevertheless. The artists I named, I did because they are/were famous , I like Michael Hussar very much though.

2. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thomas Kinkade is alive and is living proof that he is basking in his Glory. His art is absolutely stunning and beautiful. smile

3. Rod Marsden profile image66
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who knows? Probably not....depends on what you mean by art. Jack Kirby and Gene Colan were always able to make a nice living as artists. I believe Gene Colan is still around so he can be our living legend. Some people see Frank miller as a living legend.

2. irenev17 profile image60
    irenev17posted 14 years ago

Andy is an iconiclast. and for that he will be a legend.
    but to say he was the "L" word, i think is a far cry from true.

Art is an evolution & a revolution.
    The beauty of it is that no one person can say this is their legacy, their art because in truth, it is everyones.

The inspiration behind any artist is the vision of the people and the expression of that idealism in the particular style or genre of the art form.

If he were the last, then art is dead.
    If art is dead, we live in a sad, sad world.

1. spiritactor profile image60
      spiritactorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Irene-- lovely response (and many others were as well, in my opinion)!

If you understand the term "glory", defined as "praise, honor, or distinction extended by common consent"-- artists are anything but "common" and are not bound by popularity. Yes, Warhol was most definitely a popular artist (even more so after his death). Yet "glory" can also mean "great beauty and splendor" (according to ancient Greeks). That, if you choose this definition, is far too vast a condition to say that Warhol is "the last" or even a "legend" in.

I choose the latter definition, "great beauty and splendor", as it reflects the full magnitude of art, artists and their effect on society and cultures. Artists strive to express their impressions of truth (and beauty) found, excavated or manifested within themselves-- irrespective of people's reactions to them and their works; therefore irrespective of "popularity." The human race is far too complex as individuals to limit the "glory" of the effect of any single artist above another-- as there IS room and need for ALL artists. Just like every other aspect of life, we're effected by popular or admired fellow artists (as we are all "fellows", as Irene pointed out)-- but, ultimately, we are only responsible for and answer to our Inner Selves. Without such individualized integrity, there could BE no Warhols or any other popular artists.

Fascinating ideas from all-- and thanks for the forum!

3. blue dog profile image60
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

i guess the term "living legend" is as subjective as one's take on warhol's "art".

4. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Another bashing thread in the arts forum?  Sigh... 

You know, the sophisticated (oh, sooooo sorry for that word!) response is to realize there are many voices, many outlooks...many institutions....many shams.  Especially as the art world stands today.

--a painter who hasn't painted in a couple years.

5. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Nothing wrong with sophistication if one can afford it. Nothing wrong with  artists living the glory they  deserve. Luckily, nowadays a lot of artist can leave of their art, if they are good enough, althoug sometimes being 'good enough' has to do with institutions,  good press and the like.
    And about bashing...sigh....

6. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I think art is a lifestyle choice in a way. I mean, if you are an artist, you have to create. It's something you are driven to do. Can you make a decent living at it? Sometimes. Will you 'get famous' in your own lifetime? That's an 'off' question in a way.

I honestly think that question misses the point. A creative life is its own reward. It would be nice if we valued creative people more. Many people think of art-as-product and so, if an artist is pumping out a salable 'product' those same people consider that artist to be a good artist, but really when it's being done at that level it's more like craft. That's OK--I love craft. it's just not usually what society as a will value for generations or look back on as genius.

It's often only in retrospect that we recognize someone's exceptional gift.   

It's the nature of the beast.

i agree with you. But lately, many good artists are lucky enough to be able to live from their art.  You have Fernando Botero, for example.You may like it or not, but his technique is awesome.

2. Tadeusz598 profile image76
      Tadeusz598posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with all this. I'd add that the best comparasion ios with playing a sport you love. Some sportsmen become wealthy, most don't.

The idea of using the amount of money an artist or a sportsman makes to measure their success is a stupid one, because the main motivation of the artists or sportsmen I've met has never been to become wealthy - though naturally they don't complain when they make sales.

7. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

BTW regarding Warhol--Part of the reason we remember him as an important artist was because his work by its nature criticized, parodied, and exploited the consumer/fame aspect of 'art', so it's kind of ironic you bring him up as an example.

I always thought Warhol sounded like a bit of a dick. His stuff was closer to performance art I think. His paintings--I think he was making fun of us with those.

I think he was making fun of all of us a lot, actually.

8. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Personally I think that a 'legend' is something you leave earth when you are no longer on it.

Before 'legend' it is 'fame', and with 'fame' in this day and age normally comes money.

There are hundreds of living artists that are making a lot of money and have a lot of fame.

Damien Hirst, Tracy Emin, those are a couple of so called 'artists', although their works are often pathetic (especially the latter), who are both famous and multi millionaires.

Banksy is another who, despite being completely anonymous, has without a doubt made a lot of money - passing on works directly to dealers on occassion.

A wealthy distant relative of mine recently bought a potrait of herself for £50k - obviously straight from the artist. That is the artists going rate, and she has a 12-18 month waiting list, she does 6-8 commissioned works per year. You do the maths wink

I would say that there are plenty of artists with fame, but Legend (in the sense of a legacy) is something which even many famous and rich artists will not achieve.

9. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

Art is a crazy subject since it seems the art is worth so much more when the person dies.  The artists sometimes do not make much money and when they die, everyone wants to pay millions for their work.  Artists do not get enough credit while they are alive.  If I was an artist and knew I was dying, I would probably burn all of my paintings.

1. thranax profile image73
      thranaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But that's against the whole point! The only reason why art flourishes after death is its then original and can never be made again!

All artists create art to be shared with the world. Making a drawing no one wants is the last thing an artist wants. They want to be seen and known, not just make money. You have to remember, writers immortalize themselves though poems and books, but artist immortalize themselves in what they create!

In concept, buying that million dollar painting is like privately owning the artist yourself in a way.

~thranax~

1. irenev17 profile image60
        irenev17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

dieing only increases the value (both $$ and ooh-ah) not because it was an original but because, generally, society realizes its worth without having the artist there to agree or refute. thus, the stigma of social classes determining what is 'good' art remains. ridiculous, isn't it? Funny how things have not much changed since the end of the renaissance period.

if M. Angelo were alive today and he were speaking to Aristotle what would be their take?
        Both artists, famous, extraordinary renaissance men. both now viewed as relics (even if people can't touch them and be enlightened). ironic indeed.

1. thranax profile image73
          thranaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe that's only people people don't think they can go talk to the artist when there around. After there gone art advances and there stuck in a different time. People who like art look back on these and only in the process of looking back do they have the ability to rate it in the first place. Maybe society should look at coming up artists more then old dead guys, the ones who have 3 or 4 public comments because in a few hundred years that same piece that you say "its nothing special" could be all anyone talks about.

~thranax~

2. tantrum profile image61

what about your heirs ? wouldn't you leave them to somebody ?? yikes

1. jiberish profile image80
        jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm a self taught artis, my children love my art, I of course don't.  However If they could make $$ after I die, more power to them.  I'm just vain enough not to burn them.

10. jiberish profile image80
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

If you get a chance check out Csaba Markus.

http://www.csabamarkus.com/CsabaMarkus/Originals.html

thank you Jiberish!!! this man is great. Really !! smile

11. mirajraha profile image59
    mirajrahaposted 14 years ago

what about Vincent Van Gogh.

1. irenev17 profile image60
      irenev17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

driven to schizophrenia by the society he so loved, brilliant none the less, but still i would not call him a legend.

12. yasmintoo profile image61
    yasmintooposted 14 years ago

To be alive is glorious, to be creative even more so.

13. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

Some artists may---the Beatles for instance.   But that was largely because they met up with the moment for their style, message and artistic vision.                    Their fanbase was waiting for them.
    Probably no  artist discerned to be  "great"  by later generations would ever enjoy their full and proper glory in their own day, if only because a full appreciation of art requires the passage of  times,  both social and artistic.     
    The passing of those times provide a reliable backdrop for forming  a comprehensive assessment of artistic influence and durability per artist or artist clique.
    Passing fads and the ultimately trivial are thereby filtered from the pool of genuine art.

14. Rebecca E. profile image77
    Rebecca E.posted 14 years ago

I think every one has the potential to be a legend while they live, but I als think some don't want it while they live, they are content with "enough"

It all begins wiht a few people and then goes from there.

15. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm not sure "glory" and art really go together.  I think "respect" goes with art, and I think artists can get tremendous respect while they're alive (even though some dont).

To me, "glory" is more for heroes who save lives.  I don't particularly think artist deserve glory.

16. susansisk profile image81
    susansiskposted 14 years ago

I don't think artists are ever fully appreciated until after death.  I have an Aunt who painted all her life.  She stored most of her paintings in the closet, because she didn't think they were good enough.  After she died, everyone wanted them.

17. monicaelayne profile image61
    monicaelayneposted 14 years ago

You may be interested in a company called GYSTIink.
    www.gyst-ink.com

GYST-Ink is an artist-run company providing information, technology and solutions created by artists for artists. GYST–Ink stands for empowering and educating artists instead of exploiting artists for profits. Our software and services aim to streamline the business aspects of an art career, saving artists money and freeing up more time for work in the studio. Spearheaded by Cal Arts professor and renowned artist and curator Karen Atkinson, GYST-Ink has been the leading resource for professional practice, art advice and art business services in Southern California for over ten years, and helping thousands of artists from all over America get on the road to career success.

It has been a phenomenal resource to me, to my peers, and has brought light to the BUSINESS of art, rather than just the proces and/or hobby of it. Check it out!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)