What Dog Leads (leashes) would you recommend for large and strong dog breeds and

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Linda Bliss profile image84
    Linda Blissposted 12 years ago

What Dog Leads (leashes) would you recommend for large and strong dog breeds and why?

2. Minnetonka Twin profile image89
    Minnetonka Twinposted 12 years ago

I have tried them all as an owner of two black labs. I don't get the leashes that are the thin, rope like leashes because they always end up getting knots in them and eventually there is no more play in the leash. Get the thicker or wide leashes that don't tangle and are stronger. They usually mark them for the weight of the dog too. I hope that helps a little.

3. profile image0
    DoItForHerposted 12 years ago

Leather is my fav because it is easy to hold onto and is plenty strong, too. If you are in moisture a lot, buy two so you can alternate- leather gets pretty gross and stinky if it stays wet and dirty all the time.

The flat, nylon webbing type will pull right through your grip and cut deeply into your hand. Nylon anything will slip and burn.

Chains are strong, but will bloody or blood-blister your hands in short order unless you wear gloves, but few care to don gloves every time the leash is needed.

If the dog has a tendency to bite or chew the leash, you can use Apple Bitter or some sort of taste deterrent to discourage that. (Remember to wash your hands afterwards!) Some dogs, however, will bite the leash no matter the taste. For those stubborn nibblers, using a chain until the dog is leash-trained may the best initial choice. Then you can move on to what you prefer.

4. moonfairy profile image74
    moonfairyposted 12 years ago

a harness leash works really good. We have an 85 pound golden retriever who is incredibly frisky even at 8 years old...and is dog aggressive, so it's pretty much the only way I can control the beast. It loops through the front legs and sits snug across the chest so that you have better control. hope that helps.

5. Dragonrain profile image80
    Dragonrainposted 12 years ago

The brand "Lupine" makes leashes and also things like collars and harnesses for dogs of all sizes.  They come in a bunch of fun patterns and the best part of all is that their leashes, collars, and harnesses come with a lifetime guarantee.  If your leash is damaged in any way, even if your dog chews on it, Lupine will replace it for free.

6. Minn.purplerose profile image61
    Minn.purpleroseposted 12 years ago

Years ago when I started obedience training my dogs, the school recommended a one-inch, six-foot, leather leash and I have pretty much stuck by that.  It is strong, does not tangle and dries well if it gets wet in the rain or snow.  If you take care of it, it will last many years.  Part of the trick is knowing how to "hold the leash" properly.  Train the dog to walk on your left side.  Hold the looped part in your right hand and further down the leash let it slip through your left hand.  If the dog tends to bite the leash, just tell him "no bite" in a stern voice  and take the leash from his mouth.  Eventually he will get the idea and be a great walking companion. 

The real trick is obedience training your dog, whether large or small.  You want your puppy to obey your voice without having to move him or her physically via the leash.  Even small dogs are troublesome on a large leash if they are not trained.  Both you and your dog will be happier.

7. anchoraly profile image60
    anchoralyposted 12 years ago

Having experience with a 120 pound rottweiler/doberman mix, I feel confident to say that strong gear is very important with a strong dog. From chewing to pulling, vigorous usage, and the elements outdoors, some gear just doesn't cut it.

Going on a walk and having a clasp break partial way through your adventure can be more than annoying. Nylon flat leads are easily chewed, and an unexpected "off-leash" walk could get you or Fido into a pickle.  I have seen it happen on more than one occasion, with my dog and others' Houdini hounds. All it takes is 3 seconds peering through that camera lens or pair of binoculars, and chomp chomp your dog is loose.

I have found one brand of dog gear that has proven over many field tests to out stand most others. RUFF WEAR has many products for outward-based dog accessories. My favorite leash is similar to a mountain climbing rope with reflective material intertwined. The handle is quite comfortable as well, lined with a firm pad. The clip is made with a climbing style carabiner that locks.

I recommend this brand highly for large, strong active breeds. I have not been disappointed yet.

8. datahound profile image47
    datahoundposted 12 years ago

I have two hard pullers (Labrador retrievers) both 65 to 75 pounds and it is quite a workout to take them for a walk.  The EzyDog shock absorbing leash system has given me some relief from the sudden lunges and good control. http://alldogsguide.com/ezydog-dog-leads/

9. transcriptioncity profile image60
    transcriptioncityposted 12 years ago

I have a Boxer and always use a thick rope type of lead.  Otherwise it hurts my hands when she pulls and I get scared that the lead will break!

10. Mell Beard profile image59
    Mell Beardposted 12 years ago

Actually, I would recommend the gentle leader. Its a head collar. It doesn't hurt them, choke them and they won't pull... it might take a few times trying to get them comfortable to where them but it'll be worth the effort. I had a couple of large dogs, a husky and a Shepard mix, the Shepard was young and strong enough to pull be down when i walked him on a regular leash. I got him comfortable with the the gentle leader in just a couple hours by using a technique that was on the DVD that came with it, and was able to walk him with no problems with pulling. It helped to keep his attention on me because it works sort of like a horse bridle, in with the slightest pull with a finger, your dog will react to it in a desirable way... With regular collars and leashes dogs feel the need to pull, its instinctive.. .. .... ( you don't leave the gentle leader on them all day, only use when your walking them and watch some training videos on how this type lead works, so you be well informed on what to expect and get some great train tips)

11. dogmama58 profile image78
    dogmama58posted 12 years ago

I like leather best, having Rhodesian Ridgebacks who are very strong. The main thing is DO NOT use a Flexi! (one of those things wiht a plastic handle grip, that allows you to lengthen or shorten the amount of lead out for the dog.) I have a strong grip and those things will jump right out of my hand.  Then you have a dog running with something bumping along behind him "chasing" him . A dog on a loose flexi can be a hard dog to catch.

12. Beege215e profile image58
    Beege215eposted 12 years ago

I agree that obedience training is a must for all breeds and expecially for large strong dogs.  Having said that, I use two different types of leads with my shepherd. I have a long leather lead when we are going out for a casual doggy walk, giving him room to find a place to sniff around and do his business without me standing right there next to him.  I also have a very short leash, also leather, only about six inches long for when we are going for a healthy walk and we expect to be near other people or animals. He stays at my left side as he was trained to do, and I don't have to hold six or ten feet of leash so I have absolute control over my dog. This is not just to protect the world from him, but to protect him from the fast cars and the cyclists and running children around him. He is mine to care for so I use two very different leashes dependent upon the circumstances.

13. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years ago

A plain leather or nylon leash. Period. Learn how to walk the dog, not restrain it. I do not recommend choke chain collars or prong collars. We know those devices cause neck and eye damage and it doesn't help to teach the dog to walk. Those devices are aversive and unnecessary. A head halter may be helpful, especially if the handler has a disability or is elderly or weak, but proper fitting, counter-conditioning to the collar and proper use are important.

14. alexadry profile image94
    alexadryposted 12 years ago

Wondering what leash is the best for keeping your strong dog under control? Learn what leashes work best, but most of all, learn how to train loose leash walking. read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)