Babies on a leash???

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 86 discussions (263 posts)
  1. onthewriteside profile image61
    onthewritesideposted 15 years ago

I think that all little "animals" should be kept on a leash until they have learned how to act properly in public, and this includes little human animals.

And for those of you who don't know me well enough yet, of course I'm joking.  But seriously...what do you guys think about these people that have their kids on tethers?

1. ledefensetech profile image67
      ledefensetechposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We had my sister on one.  She needed it.  We went to Disneyland one year with some friends who were moving to Okinawa, so they came to visit with us before they left.  They made fun of us for putting her on one of those leashes.  They weren't laughing by the end of the day.  They had become true believers.

onthewritesideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, like I said...I guess there are exceptions, but I could never imagine needing to do it with my daughter when she was young.  When I had her out, she didn't play until she learned how to behave...even if it meant that I had to sit there with her all day...

2. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I remember as a child in the early 50's seeing other parents with a child in tow with a harness on and a leash attached. My own mother used twine on us at times in large crowds. No harm to us at all. As a young parent long ago I learned the value of this as I had to retrieve my own youngin' from the lost and found from the Mall and once at a fair. All it takes is a second for them to wander off in a crowd as you are paying for a ticket or an item.
      Remember the closing scene from Brother Where ARt Thou?

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

my son learned to walk at a very early age, and let me tell you, those little guys move FAST. which is why, when you go anywhere with your little one, practice due diligence and watch him like a hawk! if you have more than one little one in tow, put them both in a shopping cart or detain your shopping trip until someone can accompany you. if you are at a mall with more than one little one, get one of those big plastic carts they have available at the customer service desk and put them in it. if it's just you and your child, hold their hand constantly and teach them to never stray from you or they will get lost.

restraining your child in any way, especially with a leash, is humiliating and doesn't allow them to navigate their own way in the world. people will undoubtedly look at them and they will wonder why is everone looking at me, then you have all sorts of problems down the road.

4. smokenchic profile image60
      smokenchicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When they first came out in my area, I was furious, with parents putting there kids in one of those. But then we (ex, and children) went to a fall foliage thing, and the streets where so packed that, it wouldn't have been to hard to lose your children if they let go of your hand. So that's when I thought hey those darn things I was criticizing, (and of course putting my foot in my mouth) I was actually wanting one. Never did get one, but then again I never took my toddlers back to a place so crowded again. So I think there OK for certain outings.

5. profile image0
      annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think they don't want their child to get away and be abducted.

6. profile image48
      tina.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have ever heard a story that a boy was been kept on a leash  by his fatherin the day time.because the boy is a thief and always thieve neighbor's things.but the father need to go out to make money for live in the day time.finally one day the father became really disappointed and angry with his little son.he said he have no choice but to keep him on tether when he go out to work!!!
         before this,I still couldn't believe there is some one who will keep his son/daughter on tether,but it's really happened in this world!

1. hinckles koma profile image61
        hinckles komaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what planet are you from?

2. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 15 years ago

I'll never forget the time my mother and I were out shopping with one of our family friends and we saw a child on a leash. Our family friend said : "I have three kids with severe ADHD and though at times, I've felt I have needed a leash, I would never use one!"

There are some other devices that can be used such as wireless devices that you can tie to your child's shoe and you keep the transmitter. If they get lost, you hit a button and an 80 dB noise will emit from their transmitter, I know a few people that use those. They've never had to use them, but they certainly give piece of mind when out in crowded places.

Obviously parents that put their kids on leashes are doing it out of love and concern, but I personally don't think I could do it... smile

1. Misha profile image65
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I could be mistaken of course, but I think most of them are doing this for personal convenience. And don't really think how much they affect child development smile

1. profile image0
        girly_girl09posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Very true, personal convenience could definitely be a factor. I could never bring myself to use one. I really don't think they're necessary....billions and billions of children have grown up perfectly fine without a leash! big_smile

2. megs78 profile image61
        megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am inclined to agree, Misha.  However, I do believe it is also referred to as Lazy Parenting.  Just teach your kids how to listen and how to behave in public.  Whatever happened to teaching our children???

1. MauKat profile image78
          MauKatposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Please don't be so quick to judge parents. You don't always know the whole story.

Just have your two year old autistic daughter, without warning,  yank her hand out of yours, run into the street, and come within two feet of being hit by a car.

You will then put up with all the rude comments you receive when you put your daughter in a harness because you know she is safe.

1. megs78 profile image61

You're right maukat!  I'm sorry that I said what I said.  But today, more than ever, people are relying on tools and the newest gadgets coming off the line to get their kids to do or behave the way they want them to.

I, for one, think its insulting to the intelligence of our children and their capacity to listen and understand their parents when we don't teach them but instead rely on things like leashes.  Yes todays world is scary and everyone is afraid, but we can't let that fear replace the value of teaching good behaviour.

Thats just my opinion though.  I think we have let fear guide us (and for good reason in todays world), but that is never a good thing.

1. profile image0
              Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good post Meg.  I like your style, smile.

Hi to all just got a chance to type kids a sleep school tomorrow.  Lita i can tell you are very hard on your self and others i was like that before i must admit, that's why when i said be open mined i meant don't be a hard head and be open to new ideas yes this includes leashes.  I talk to Misha about sushi because in his hub me and sushi i said don't be cheap when trying sushi he had a hard time feeling cheap sorry Misha my fault.  hes basically holing a grudge its ok iam not mad.  I love all people and i don't use the hate world a lot lol ok sometimes. Anyway please talk to me about leashes on my hub because my 1st one is about that iam working on more. Please lets start over and i have no hate for nobody just opinions we all got them they are like a... les, everyone got them. If you want to call me a joke clown or hold a grudge because of my opinion please don't comment on my hub i only want fair opinions were not in high school anymore.     It is not called a leash but a Harness and our children should not be referred to as dogs.   Talk to me on my hub if you want to .  Misha if you want to get pleasure of causing some kind of nonsense please don't even comment i don't like butlickers,or insecure people like your self. You told me ohh now iam having fun, when clown words and joke words were said to me your a man stuck in a little boys body.  Iam never in the hiding and i cant talk right to peoples faces, I have no problem don't try to guess were iam from or what languages i speak.  Iam honest not lazy person an not afraid of criticism at all.  If you nee to speak to me go to my hub.  Love you all Sorry if anyone got offended again.  Excuse me for my spelling iam doing a lot right now.  I don't depend on my harness i use it an it works for my child's safety and for my security. I ont shout oohhh my go be careful or ohh god watch were you going I just teach him while using the leash to his and my advantage that all.  Just ask me anything.

3. Joelle Burnette profile image70
    Joelle Burnetteposted 15 years ago

I don't think I could ever do it with my kids, but my mother certainly wishes they had them when we -- specifically my sister -- were kids. Let me put it this way...my hyperactive, dyslexic sister managed to get lost at Disneyland EVERY year that we went. We'd spend half the day on rides and the other half of the day looking for Michelle. She was just one of those kids that never stayed with our parents and my mom is quite jealous of the parents with leashes on their kids.
    I think it is gross and looks ridiculous, but I understand with some kids.

4. onthewriteside profile image61

I guess I should have given you my take on the subject.  Back in the days of the "Yuppies" it was almost considered en vogue to have your kid tied to a leash when you had him/her out in public.  It had something to do with the "classiness" of being so wrapped up in your career that you didn't have the time to deal with your own child's natural curiosity and rambunctiousness.  To me, I think it was just a blatant display of poor parenting, or rather the lack of desire to take the time out of one's busy schedule to do the job properly.  I could MAYBE understand if someone had a "special needs" child or something like that, but I used to see perfectly normal children being herded around in this fashion.

It isn't as common as it was back in the late 80's/ early 90's, but I still see it from time to time...

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If I tried to put leashes on my three year old gkids they would bash me up again, so out of fear alone I would not consider it!

2. Chris1|Chris2 profile image61
      Chris1|Chris2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

EN VOGUE?? Haha, oh that's more than a bit disturbing! I find those leashes so demeaning. I can't imagine the ways in must psychologically influence some kids to wear them. I do understand though, if the kid has some serious developmental issues and would be puttin him or herself in danger without it. Otherwise, I say, be a parent and just keep a good watch of your freakin' kid!!

5. SweetiePie profile image80
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

My sister once tried putting my nephew on a kiddie leash to walk around the mall, but then he started barking at people and acting like a dog.  She was so embarrassed and never used it again.  My mom used one with me because I learned how to walk at a very young age, about nine months, and I never used like to be pushed in a stroller.  By the time I was a year and a half I was already going on hikes with my family, and sometimes my mom would carry me, and other times she used the kiddie leash.  It worked for me, but maybe not for all kids.

1. Misha profile image65
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL Your nephew is brilliant! smile

2. onthewriteside profile image61

lol  Sounds like your nephew is going to grow to be quite the negotiator!

3. profile image0

omg that is hilarious. I can totally see a few kids I know doing that. Thanks for sharing! smile

4. Plants and Oils profile image67
      Plants and Oilsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nephew 1, sister 0.....

6. SweetiePie profile image80

Yeah I thought he was also to do that!

7. SweetiePie profile image80

Bryan has always had a fun little personality like that smile.

1. ledefensetech profile image67
      ledefensetechposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Smart kid, he'll be a handful when he gets older.

8. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 15 years ago

Oh yea my son would do something like that. lol

9. onthewriteside profile image61

I'm still laughing just imagining Sweety Pie's nephew on a leash and barking like a dog!  lol  That kid certainly had his mom's number!

1. profile image0

I know, it'd make a great youtube video!!! Absolutely hilarious.

OMG!  How true!  Hey Sweety Pie?  Ya think you could work on that?

10. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 15 years ago

We were in a mall, and my younger sister (age 2) kept wandering off.  My dad got tired of 'loosing' her, so he bought a length of rope and tied it around her waist.  She thought it was great, and that rope was kept in the car for years. 

I have one of those baby harnesses, and it works OK, but I find having a length of string for them to hang onto works better to move the crowd through a store.  They have to focus on where they are supposed to be going, instead of running every-which-way as far as their leash will allow.

11. SweetiePie profile image80

This was back in 2001 and he is ten now, so unfortunately I think he would really mad if I got him to wear a leash.  I did make a funny youtube video of him playing with a stuffed dog though smile.

12. Lissie profile image77
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

I think its perfectly reasonable - I remember my brother was in one up until about 3 yr I think. Its for the child's safetly - its stops them running out into traffic before they've learned how to cross the road sensibly. Its either that or a stroller I would have thought. I suppose these days kids are driven everywhere and don't really need to learn how to cross the road or walk sensibly

13. Stanley_19802 profile image60
    Stanley_19802posted 14 years ago

Ok, I do think they are a good tool when used the right way. I do see a need for the small toddlers 1-3 year olds, Maybe 4. But not the 8,9 & 10 year olds I have seen on them. If you don't want to watch your child, stay inside. Why take them outside if they can only go 5 feet in any direction? Kind of pointless. I do see them often used by parents who are too wrapped up into what they are doing that they don't want to watch their kids. Like they don't want to be bothered by their children. Every tool or product has it's use, but everything can become a weapon of neglect or abuse if used the wrong way. Just sayin, older kids, use your eyes to watch them, not a leash.

-Stanley

14. Davinagirl3 profile image59
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I think it is a bit overprotective, but I can't fault the parents who are making an effort to "wrangle" their children.  Between the tetherers and the parents who just let their kids fly free, I prefer the tetherers.  More parents should make an effort to try to corral their kids.  I just don't think a leash is the way to do it.  But, my daughter hasn't reached the age to be running off on her own.  I may change my story when that time gets here.

15. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

I keep my wife on a leash when I occasionally let her out of the basement, so I guess I shouldn't judge people who walk their kids on leashes.

16. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

what do you mean by leash? Like around hte neck? A choke collar? Or one of those things that zips up the front, like a harness. It isn' uncomfortable, but it makes it so the kid cant run off. If you mean the last one, I say the leash itself is nothing bad. My sister had one, for going out in large gatherings. It had nothing to do with my mother not wanting to watch her child. It is the fact that, in a busy environment, and your the only adult...(some of us have to go shopping with more then one child and no other adult)...you dont know who else is there. At some ages, you can pay attention and say all you want, but the kid just wont listen. She was in no way harmed, and never had it at home, and she barked. We thought it was funny, and let her do it, and no one was embaressed. When she was big enough to know better, not run off, we got rid of it. She would sometimes say..where is my leash? I want to play doggie again? But, we told her she was too big for the leash and could pretend to a dog at home. Anything used for its intended purpose is fine. if you abuse it, not good. A leash in its own right is not a big deal. people who complain about it never had 3 kids under the age of 5 at the same time all by themselves.

17. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I wish the parents in my neighbourhood used gags instead of leashes smile

18. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Gosh darnit, Ron! You stole my idea. Well, what works for the goose works for the gander, I suppose. I think my Hubby would like to put me on a leash sometimes. I've been known to wander off....

So which looks weirder: A toddler on a leash or a person walking an imaginary pet on a leash? Personally, I find them both absurd.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wife on a leash does get some looks, but she runs pretty fast and I'm getting too old to keep chasing her down.

19. jiberish profile image79
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

My sister used a leash with both her children, it was merely for safety reasons.  She was always afraid someone would grab them and run. She also felt that it gave the kids enough freedom to move around without having to hold their hands, or tie them in a stroller.

The leash never bothered me one way or another, what does bother me is going to a fine restaurant and having to sit next to a child who throws a tantrum everytime the parents say 'NO".

20. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

I would never in a million years have considered using a harness on my children or grandchildren. I always say its the responsibility of the parents to make their children fit for "human consumption".
    If they're raised with some control they do not need leashes...

1. Davinagirl3 profile image59
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said!

21. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Hi Giberish. I agree with you, although learning to eat in a restaurant is a rite of passage. Until the kids have reasonably well developed manners they should not be taken to fancy restaurants. They can earn their stripes at family restaurants then graduate to nicer establishments.

But while we're on the subject of public tantrums, how about ADULTS who throw tantrums in nice restaurants? I've seen some beauts in my day...

22. dineane profile image81
    dineaneposted 14 years ago

what about holding their hand until they learn to listen to instructions and walk close by? That's what I did. Granted, I only had one child, and I'm sure it's harder if you run out of hands ;-)

Honestly, I had never heard of such a thing until a few years ago. My now 17 yo daughter saw an associate of mine at the mall with her two toddlers on leashes. She was appalled! She made it clear when she told me about it that she did NOT want to babysit for her :-)

I personally think it's too much of a convenience and not much else. I'm also a big fan of leaving your kids home with a sitter when you shop - there's little I hate worse than hearing a crying/screaming child in the grocery store!

1. Davinagirl3 profile image59
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.  You are my hero!  I feel exactly the same way.  I save shopping for days when Daddy can stay with Baby.  P.S. Daddy can't be trusted at the supermarket, either.  If he was allowed to go in there, we'd be bankrupt.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always had my little kids hold my hand.  That, using the child-seat in the shopping carts, and doing things like making sure they're in the car before you start unloading the carriage full of groceries, can all keep kids close pretty effortlessly.

1. fortunerep profile image67
          fortunerepposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That was what i was looking for.  That and good home training.

As I said its ignorance and not laziness I Am not a lazy person just the opposite and to be a closed minded person i just also think is weird..  I started my son at the age of 8 months he was begging to walk fast and into walls , i had a huge stairs and a guard always closing it..   When i got the harness my home trip to the park, store,and riving was the best. He was confident because no one yelled ohhh my god watch out!@#$  Ohhh God watch out@#$%^!  The child begins to feel scared to walk that is why some kids are late bloomers they lack confidence.  Try it or do research online about harness they are not called leashes Leashes are for dogs If that's inhuman than take the leashes of the dogs and walk them hand to hand lol

2. megs78 profile image61

I hear ya davinagirl!

23. Plants and Oils profile image67
    Plants and Oilsposted 14 years ago

Generally, I don't like them (I assume they are the same sort of things as harnesses here in the UK, rather than a collar and lead for a dog).

When I was at primary school, though, a mate of mine had triplet siblings. Their mother did put them in harnesses when they were aged about 2, and with 3 of them, can't blame her.

24. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I have seen the leashes and some are actually cute. And I would seriously think about using them on my kids when I have them in the future if they misbehave or did what I did when I was younger. Yea I hid on my mom when we went shopping until she hid on me and I couldn't find her and it freaked me out. lol But yes I do think leashes are a good idea but like people have said they aren't for all kids. and yes that is funny about SweetiePie and the nephew barking while on the leash lol

25. Valerie F profile image59
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Once my kids were too big for strollers, we had a strict "hold hands" rule when out and about where they might otherwise get lost. I never needed a tether.

26. profile image0
    sbeakrposted 14 years ago

My parents put me on a wrist leash.  I will never forgive them for it.  I was a very good child who never wandered off...8 years old when they did this, not a toddler.  They inflicted inappropriate rules on me 'to be fair' to my younger brother...tantrum-throwing, wandering little shit that he was.  What they failed to recognize was that this was terribly UNfair to me.

Leashes are not cute and generally unnecessary, in my unhumble opinion, even for animals.

I HATE LEASHES.  There, I'm done.

1. Simply Redd profile image75
      Simply Reddposted 14 years agoin reply to this

While I don't necessarily agree with leashes for children, I think all animals should be on one when walking them or when in an unfenced yard. Although, not that they should be left tied up all the time.

Just today, my husband and I were on our way to town and had two Chihuahuas run out in front of us. Fortunately, he was able to react quickly enough that we didn't catch him with our tire, but one of them did get hit by the undercarriage. We rushed him to the vet while two other concerned citizens tried to catch the one that wasn't injured. Luckily, as we found out later, the poor little guy only suffered from a concussion.

However this was traumatic for the dog, and for us as well. I would have been devastated if we had killed him.

The owners were contacted and arrived shortly after we left the dog at the vet. They said they had been in the backyard with the dogs and decided to let them off the leashes and the dogs promptly ran off. Even a well-behaved pet can get distracted by another animal or even a squirrel and take off on ya.

As Martha would say... leashes are a "good thing!" big_smile

27. Elena. profile image85
    Elena.posted 14 years ago

I can't believe half the things that are said on this thread.  It makes me think, more than ever, that humans should come wihout the genetic ability to reproduce, which would be only switched on after BOTH would-be parents passed some sort of aptitude test.

Thankfully, I also read very sensible posts, fundamentally stating that education is what ought to be used, not a f-ing leash. 

Gawds.

P.S. Whoever feels like ranting at me, go on, go on mes enfants.

1. Chris1|Chris2 profile image61
      Chris1|Chris2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

YES. Now here is someone with some sense!!
      And sbeakr, I am so sorry you had to endure such a horrible and unfair leash-ing.
      We should start a movement:

***FREE THE LEASHED!!*** big_smile

28. hinckles koma profile image61
    hinckles komaposted 14 years ago

I have a hub about leashes because i use them and they work for my kid and us. My back was hurting me all the time. You have to try it to know how it works and how to use it properly without hurting your child. Its really not about the looks its the health and comfort along with confidence that i don't have when holding his little mischief hand.  You are never sure god forbid, what can happen when you hold your child's hand. I started the harness not leash unless you see a dog or puppy. lol     Don't compare dogs to children its 2009 were humans and they are dogs they have leashes we have clothes.  Harness are excellent in parks, airports,  Streets ect........  I just wish they make the front softer and sell them more.  Thanks excellent hub you made.  The parent with a leash(harness).opsss

29. babedoll50 profile image59
    babedoll50posted 14 years ago

Through out the years hubbie and i have seen this quite a few times and I have to say it makes me irate.  I just cant stand to see children being carted around like dogs.  Dam parents are just too lazy and couldnt give a dam.

Sorry about the language but this has been one of my biggest pet peeves since I started seeing it.

30. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

I have raised (and am raising) a total of 12 kids.  I have NEVER used a leash and never will.  It all boils down to common sense, teaching the child from a very early age the rules of going out (including the repercusions of not following the rules) and having respect for the child as a human.  I do not agree with kiddie leashes (or soothers for that matter, but that's another argument smile  ).  I haven't lost any children yet (including one ADD).  If parents want a pet on a leash, then they should adopt one that runs on all fours.  lol

OK can you explain the ADD part please! Just like you explained the "leash Part?  No I really don't think you can. You not know unless your have an open mind.  I have it and it does wonders for my whole family 12 is just a number its how you feel and look also as a woman.

1. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So where is your open mind ?? yikes

1. Beth100 profile image68
          Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second that, Tantrum!

2. hinckles koma profile image61

You forgot that our children are not dogs or puppies, there for: They are our children from god. Your opinion is goo for you i like it iam very happy that you see your child and think its an animal lol. When you hate something for how it looks you are a negative person to be very honest with you. Iam a very honest religious person who is never lazy for 1 second. You must be an older person to make such a totalitarian remark. My  love Anna

1. Misha profile image65
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Umm, if anybody hates here, this seems to be you. Looks like you have some kind of language barrier, too - this might be a big part of the problem. Be careful with words, please...

2. Beth100 profile image68

First off, where is your open mind?  Just as Tantrum pointed out.  Second, I did not refer our children as dogs or puppies -- you did.  You should read carefully of what I wrote.  Third, where did I state that I "hated" something or someone?  "Hate" in my vocabulary is a very strong and emotional word.  I do not use it lightly.  Fourth, where does religion come into this thread.  Fifth, who called you lazy?  Not I.  Sixth, what does age have to do with this?  Finally, before commenting on another person's comments, you should read carefully.  Do not misquote or make assumptions that are not there. 

I do not agree to tethering, leashing, or harnessing children.  That's my opinion, and one that I am entitled to.  If you do not agree, then that is your opinion.  I do not attack others who differ from my opinion.  Therefore, I display an open mind -- I listen, read and can accept that everyone will have a different response to the same question.  This thread was a simple comment on an opinion -- it is not meant for personal attack.

31. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Tying a leash on a toddler should be avoided by all parents who when old, expect attention from their children.
    I reminded my parents of this when they wanted to take me for a walk, on the end of a rope! 
    Thankfully I did not have to return the favor when walking them in old age! lol

32. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

This cannot be for real.  OMG...

Sorry..inclined to believe that anyone putting their child on a leash should NOT be a parent.

Iam sorry that people like you come out of their closets, not only you are closed mined but rude and silly. I like you,   You probably hate and dread being a parent that explains your barbaric views.   You watched to much Flintstones,  Anyways this was not a 1 st grade welcome party like oh my god right. You hate to love i understand you.  You are the best everyone with a harness puff be gone. lol  You are funny

lol lol You're a clown. I wonder who's alter ego are you ??!! yikes  big_smile

My thoughts exactly.  The only hub this person written is exactly on this subject....let's take a guess who it is!  You first .... wink

I don't know. I thought it was the OP , but maybe not. This was posted 2 months ago. It could be anyone. I'm rather new here. Do you have any clue ?

The only sad part about name calling is your hatred for some kind of attention,i really don't care about you or your name calling by the way i had hubs before you existed.  Iam sure you are not a clown but a 15 year old boy with no other activity.  Iam very proud of my self and my harness for the job that it does. When you try it let me know ok. If you don't like it for other reasons except it looks weird or what will people think?  let me know.  What is a clown or a dog have anything to do with the safety of the child. i love anyways good night  Sorry if anyone got offended.

So you're a baby on a leash ? yikes So that's why you sound so childish! big_smile. Poor baby !!Don't you feel like a dog ??!! lol

33. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL For once we agree on something smile

1. profile image0

That's just wrong.

34. Luciendasky profile image60
    Luciendaskyposted 14 years ago

I grew up in Japan and I remember every time we traveled my parents would put a bracelet leash on me, as I had the habit of running off and looking at things. As they were carrying luggage and stuff, they wouldn't be able to carry me as well. I was four and I was curious, but I didn't mind the lease... I thought it was fun! And it helped them not worry about where I was - especially in a foreign place.

35. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Now I can take a vacation Lita lol

1. profile image0

Why?   Because we agree?  lol

I'm damn tired tonight...  But, this is just wrong.  A kid is a human being...should not be restrained.  A separate person.

Any way, I'm pretty sure the last poster is a joke.

1. Misha profile image65

No, because this girl will go after you on a daily basis I guess smile

And you are preaching to the choir smile

You guys are a sushi joke i dint know we have a communist society until i talk to you misha.  Nobody will go after you except god you people have a good night and take care of your children teach them against leashes or else.... they will be bad bad parents lol Iam nobody, just a joke with my opinion that you don't like.  Lets rule NO Harnesses Club.   Opinions are like as...everyone has them.  Misha your are really funny hope you always make people laugh.

36. Beth100 profile image68

Your guess is as good as mine.  Kinda reminds me of the panda guy-thingy and a few other possibilities.  But, who knows...I'm heading off to la la land instead.  Let me know if you figure this one out!  smile

37. Beth100 profile image68

Hey, Tantrum, looks like she's run away for now....  no more name calling tonight!  woo hoo!  lol  smile

I'm off to bed. LOL ! good night ! smile

38. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Now i got my dose, too. big_smile

BTW Koma, how are things going on Staten Island? wink

OM!!!  I'm going to have nightmares and laugh throughout them tonight!!!  Good night and hang up them leashes!!!!  The kids are all tucked in for goodness sake!!!  lol

2. profile image0

Think so? wink

Sure they are not Russian?

39. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

They definitely know some Russian, yet I don't have enough data to tell if this is a native language. And connect from Staten Island smile

1. profile image0

So, now I'm just curious.  How can you tell that from a forum post?

Misha I know you are funny and smart But whats with the personal stuff, guessing were iam from and what other languages i speak has anything to do with our subject.

1. Misha profile image65

It is here to show you that you are not completely anonymous behind your screen, and watching your language is a wise thing to do smile

40. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL They commented on one of my hubs smile

1. profile image0

Oh! smile

And you got offended that's why you have nothing to say just bark out some UN important words.  Stop you are not just cheap just on sushi.! lol

1. profile image0

I, for one, would really like to understand what that reference to sushi you keep using means. wink  I think you should explain.

41. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

OK, to the above.  A special needs kid in special circumstances.  Otherwise, it is my personal opinion...for most normal kids...that this would be wrong.

I would have hated my parents if they ever did anything like this to me.  A child is an individual and must learn how to navigate life...in about a million different ways...on his/her own.  Symbolically to most viewing, and to a developing child, this just sucks, and physically the restraint would suck, too.

Cannot believe people are taking this seriously, in all actuality.

42. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I'll fess up here. My oldest had a very bad case of the terrible two's from 18 months until about 4 years old. She was incorrigible, and too smart for her own good. She had a bad habit of running off when we were out in public, and it was getting dangerous (for her and for others). She actually caused a car accident in a parking lot one time.

When we went grocery shopping, I had to stop putting her in the seat in the carriage as she figured out how to unbuckle the belt and she always tried to climb out -- pretty dangerous. Sooo...I bought a kiddie leash. Yes I did. It had a velcro thingee that went around my wrist, the leash itself was rubber and coiled up like a telephone cord, and it had a harness kind of thing that buckled in back on her so she couldn't undo it.

Do I regret it? Yes. But not for the reasons you're thinking. My smart little daughter learned very quickly how to trip up other shoppers. She also learned that as we were getting to the end of a grocery store aisle, she could run ahead and take the corner very sharply, effectively knocking all of the products off of the end cap.

Sheesh. Had my daughter not learned how to exploit that tether, she would have been on the end of it for quite some time when we were out of the house! smile

43. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

My nephew Ben was born at the same time that Adam Walsh was taken from a Sears. Probably because of that and a few other famous missing children cases, he was put on a tether. It actually was a little harness, we were afraid that he would pull is arm out of the socket without the other kind.

He loved it. He could explore without always hearing the word no. Or hearing people yell come back here. It also gave me the confidence to take him to very busy places such as Quincy Market in Boston or the Science Museum when he was only two or three. And he truly loved those outings. When he was ready to turn 4 we all stopped using it. Because he could listen and communicate and he had by that time learned the rules of our outings.

He turned out to be an adventurous human being who is a successful film editor for the Learning Channel and Discover Network and travels everywhere. He doesn't seem to be stifled or inhibited or felt anything but cared for.

44. profile image0

I just read all of the posts again about just "hand holding." On a hot day, hands get so sweaty, that they could just slide away in a crowd and it's really uncomfortable.

And little kids really want to use both hands to explore or eat. When we went to the the Science Museum he wanted to always push all of the buttons. In Quincy Market, he usually had a cookie in both hands.

Lita I think you're being really narrow minded. Because of that harness we went to every museum in Boston, had adventures on the subway. And we did it safely. I don't think I should have had my Auntie rights revoked or that I was a bad Auntie.

You apparently have "leash issues" from your past smile

1. profile image0

I don't particularly like the tone and am surprised that someone like you would take it, Nelle.

I did say that this was my "personal opinion," and didn't appreciate at all the escalated verbiage here.  I for one, absolutely, unless some special circumstance made it a necessity, would ever put a child on a leash.  Period.  For exactly the reasons I stated.  ...And, just in case anyone has a hard time reading satire, parts of this were something of a joke post, omg, people.

If you want to know about 'my past,' I will tell you.  Don't make ridiculous assertions you know nothing about.  I remember at 4 or 5 being separated from my mother in a store...I remember getting lost during first grade walking home.  They were good experiences where I learned to navigate a bit more of life by myself...though they might have a bit frightening as a kid, I saw myself through it.  And yeah, yeah, I understand the world has changed, and I grew up in a fairly affluent Midwestern community, I was a pretty independent and self controlled kid, etc., etc.  STILL.  I don't know what other "issues" you are assuming?  Perhaps you want to spell them out for me, since you apparently know me so well?

Go for it, those who want to use leashes on their kids, wink.

I for one WOULD NOT do it. I'd even question the need to take a toddler who can't appreciate museums yet out on a leash...like it might be more about the adult and not for the child.  Of course that might not be my assertion to make.  You think?

Jeez.

1. lrohner profile image67
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lita -- I assume you are not a parent or a grandparent or an aunt or sister to a very young child? If you're not, then you have no authority, expertise or knowledge here. If you think that getting separated from your mother in a store, or getting lost on the way home from first grade was a 'good experience', then you do have issues. Both of those 'experiences' are every mother's nightmare. And for many, an ongoing nightmare as they search for their missing child for years.

1. tksensei profile image60
          tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But she reads the newspaper and went to college! That's everything!!!

LMAO!!!!

1. profile image0

Destroys your credibility and any assumption I'd respect you completely.

1. Misha profile image65

Did not destroy her credibility for me smile

1. profile image0

Um, lol, sushi.

1. Misha profile image65

What about it Lita? You keep bringing sushi up, what's the reason?

2. profile image0

You assume very incorrectly.  I assume you are older and assume some things about me you should not.  Your issue...not mine.

I am an aunt.  My bf has two sons and we have been in a long term relationship so that I have seen them grow up.  He would absolutely agree with me as far as parenting and my ideas regarding this leash.

And it was not a nightmare for my parents.  We saw ourselves to school when we were old enough to do so...every day.  As did most children in the neighborhood.  When I was separated from my mother in the store, it was of course, for five minutes or so...she usually kept a watchful eye on her three daughters and we were taught to stay together...  We mostly all seem to be adjusted adults now with lives of our own, responsible for children of our own.

Although the Walsh thing and abducted children is horrible, yes, I personally (and note the word 'personally') do not believe that living life in what amounts to fear, basically, is the answer.  Better to teach children how and why to be careful and the correct things to do... As they are sentient human beings & will be responsible for their own lives one day after all.  Not 'on a leash.'

Yes. I am older. Hear this -- not less intelligent. Just older. It sounds to me like you were raised with parents who didn't give a rat's ass what happened to their kids. That's not the way most parents do it. Oopsie. Forgot. You're not a parent.

On a more serious side, Lita, when you do have children (and I'm sure you'll make an amazing Mom -- and I mean that with all due respect), your views will change and they will change drastically. I have always said that the only person that can understand unconditional love is a parent. I'm not saying a tether is right in all cases for all children, but you shouldn't be saying it's not. Peace out, mama.

See lita that's a fair reply not everyone is like you, we all learn that somehow.

P Lease comment on my hub only if you have children please.(little request) its just easier to talk to you if you have at least one child.  Thank you!!!

2. tantrum profile image61

lol lol

2. profile image0

No, my parents raised 3 pretty well adjusted daughters.  Nice insult, though.  Again, different parenting styles. 

You have fun with your kids on a leash.  The more power to you.

I beg to differ. Evidently they didn't.

1. profile image0

Not interested in the trolling remarks of an older whatever...

Thanks for insulting my parents, Ma'am.

Any time, Lita. I only give constructive criticism where it's due.

And just remember, you can't stop the clock. You will age too. I wonder what the young'uns will call you....?

Lita you a good girl but...   You have a lot of hatred why?  Its not your parents its you with all the nightmares wow. Are you religious if so than i understand and over stand your comments other wise girl!!! you need to stop talking here and go get pregnant its good for you. Ill talk to you in 9 months call me.

2. tksensei profile image60

Uh-oh! That could be trouble. She'd better watch herself or you might have to tell her how much you admire yourself again...

.............. roll

45. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I completely agree with you, Nelle. I suspect my kids were born around the same time as your nephew. Adam Walsh was always top of mind.

46. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I think the leash is O.K. if you think it's O.K. Every parent knows better what to do with their child.

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ever the voice of reason. (I wish I knew whose alter-ego you are, I'm very curious.)

I'm not an alter ego.

47. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Wow! Such a drama over such an issue! lol

1. profile image0

Sushi is the word for you, wink.  lol

48. profile image0

Oh my Lord Lita, I added a smilie. I was being facetious about "leash issues."

But I do think that you're being very harsh about a parenting style. That's all. And I wanted you to see the other side. I had resisted particpating in one of these threads because they get so heated. I just wanted to help you see the other side.

But it's apparent that you have no interest in doing that. So I am stopping my part of the discussion.

Misha is right, way too much drama on this issue.

1. profile image0

Understood.  I also understand sarcasm, even laced with a smiley.  Still don't appreciate the idea I have had "leash issues" part, sorry.  And perhaps when you see the trolling going on in the political forums these days, you might understand why I would take it especially negatively.

I also understand that this was a joke post, and my previous postings around it reflect that...

There are about 10 different dialogues going on in most of these forums at the same time, to be honest.  Nothing is apparent.

And again, I clearly labeled my opinion as my personal opinion.  So there should be no issues...just a difference in presumed parenting styles...to adults.

1. tksensei profile image60

Then maybe you should stop.

49. profile image0

However, your assumption that my outings with Ben were for my benefit and not his is way out of line. He had an early love of art and people and can actually remember some of our outings.

Your assumption that I was acting improperly and selfishly is also way out of line.

You are basing this on you're upbring and being unwilling to understand another way.

50. Nickny79 profile image67
    Nickny79posted 14 years ago

What a snooze of a thread...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)