What makes a "Good Parent"? What key attributes do good parents possess?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)
  1. J.S.Matthew profile image78
    J.S.Matthewposted 12 years ago

What makes a "Good Parent"? What key attributes do good parents possess?

2. roxanne459 profile image79
    roxanne459posted 12 years ago

There are many different qualities that would qualify someone as a Good Parent. That being said, my personal experience has shown me that if someone has the courage to always put thier child's needs and welfare ahead of their own, they are a pretty darn good parent.

3. KDF profile image61
    KDFposted 12 years ago

Once you become a parent, you must acknowledge that your needs are secondary and that you set a lifetime goal of providing for your children. Strive to give them everything positive that you had as a youngster and more. Create a path and walk beside them as they grow. Be prepared for discussions and moments of truth both good and bad. As long as you can look yourself in the mirror every night and know that you gave it 100% you will be fine.
    Keep your eyes and ears open for them as well.
    Roxanne I agree with your post as well@
    Great Hub js and horgo

4. jenntyl99 profile image76
    jenntyl99posted 12 years ago

Good parents are supportive and encourage their children but at the same time they are consistent and fair with regards to discipline.  Having 4 kids has made me realize alot, including the struggles of raising kids in such a cruel world. 

Good parents put their childrens' needs before their own and will be there to pick their children up when they fall.  All children are bound to make mistakes and if we as parents do not teach them when this happens, we essentially fail them.

5. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 12 years ago

A 'good parent' has happy children and if ever their child is not happy; a 'good parent' will know about it because their child will come turn to them.
    A good parent let's their child make mistakes.
    A good parent loves their child regardless and a good parents' child knows he/she is loved.

6. dragnhaze profile image61
    dragnhazeposted 12 years ago

What makes a good parent is a parent who realizes that their child is an individual who is new to the world and needs both parents who brought them into the world to make sure that their needs are met, their best interest and welfare is first in mind, to teach them about the world, society, life, limits, healthy relationships, and to help them develop into a responsible, prosperous, and individually empowered adult.  Making sure your child feels loved and not pressured to be something they are not, being supportive and encouraging as well as fair and consistent with every individual child in the family.

7. profile image0
    nikashi_designsposted 12 years ago

In my opinion what makes a good parent is listening to what your kids are saying and finding time to be with them. Realize your child's strengths and weakness's and develop and strengthen those personality traits.

8. horgo profile image60
    horgoposted 12 years ago

Thanks for reading...
    Good parent is one who leaves a child to be a child, and one who own complex, unrealized and unfulfilled goals, not implemented in child.

9. xethonxq profile image66
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

They are consistent, fair, loving, and engaging with their child.

10. sandrafowke profile image60
    sandrafowkeposted 12 years ago

Patience, tolerance, and a sense of humour XD

11. Scott Stephenson profile image61
    Scott Stephensonposted 12 years ago

I think a good parent realizes that the truths to right and wrong already lie within their children. The source of truth being amoral at best. Good parents will spend much time teaching their children how to connect to these truths as they relate to the world around them as well as how those truths relate too themselves. That is where I feel the focus of parenting should lie; defining the path to the enlightened mind. Defining things as right and wrong places limitations on your child’s freedom, development, and their trust in you as a parent. I think that’s why some kids get in so much trouble. They want something better but they just don’t know where to find it. I speak from my own experience here.

12. CorieBarba profile image60
    CorieBarbaposted 12 years ago

Good parents know exactly the extent as well as the limitations of what most people call "obligation." They know when to say yes and when to say no. They know their children from the top of their hair down to their toes, even if they have 12 children. They know when to listen and when to give advise.

13. ikechiawazie profile image60
    ikechiawazieposted 12 years ago

A good parent is one who directs his children in the right path without selfishness and ignorance.

14. moonfairy profile image74
    moonfairyposted 12 years ago

good question! My experience taught me that I needed to love, teach, nurture, protect, respect and to listen. One of the most important things I learned about being a parent is that even though I was the adult, I made mistakes...and saying I'm sorry was a very huge thing.

15. profile image0
    susanm23bposted 12 years ago

I think one of the most important traits of a good parent is that they HAVE and SHOW unconditional love for their child/children.  Not love that is based upon good performance or bad performance but love that is steady and unwavering.  Times may come when a parent is not pleased with something a child does, but the love is still there--like a rock.  And the child knows this.

16. RJ68 profile image60
    RJ68posted 12 years ago

First of all - A parent should have love for their child.  A parent should be responsible and be an example for their children in a good way.  A parent should be honest and trustworthy. Parents should be supportive of their children and allow them to make their own mistakes as long as it doesn't cost them harm. I parent should be respectable and carry themselves like a parent.  I see too many parents that are childish acting/temper throwing and they wonder where their children pick it up.  I parent should be stable and offer security for their kids.

17. thepathtohealthy profile image60
    thepathtohealthyposted 12 years ago

I'm not a parent by any means, and I think this question really depends on the age your child is... because you can't be the same parent to your 2 year old like you could your 12 year old. I think the number one thing is letting your kids know they can talk to you no matter what. Of course protect them when you can, but if they can't talk to you, and you don't know what's going on in their lives, then you won't know them. I think not knowing your kids would be a horrible thing.

18. sukena@gmail.com profile image46
    sukena@gmail.composted 12 years ago

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
    If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
    If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
    If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
    If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
    If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
    If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
    If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
    If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
    If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
    If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
    If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
    If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
    If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
    If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
    If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
    If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
    If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
    If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.
    by Dorothy Law Nolte

19. profile image51
    JMW38posted 6 years ago

Knowing when to read between the lines, and when not too.
    Actually listening and hearing to what your child is saying.
    When your child knows something that you don't know, ask them to tell you more.
    Parents should always admit when they are wrong or have made a mistake, even to their children.
    Ask for your child's input about things that will affect the family, big or small.
    Never lie to your child.
    Give your child the same respect that you want from him, it goes both ways.
    Don't ever think that because you are the adult, you are better.
    Know when to let go, then, no matter how much it hurts you, let them go.
    They will come back.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)