How much tea is a safe amount to drink per day?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)
  1. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 11 years ago

How much tea is a safe amount to drink per day?

Most people drink a cup of tea every couple of hours, so exactly how much is enough before you start damaging your health?

2. Pamspages profile image67
    Pamspagesposted 11 years ago

Hi Brian, I have been steadily drinking between 1-3 cups of tea a day all my life. Sometimes more and I've had no ill effect. In fact I strongly believe tea does you good with all the antioxidants is contains. When I went to a trainer recently, he did tell me that I shouldn't drink too much caffeine as it can give you false highs and end up depleting your energy. But he was happy with my consumption. I never feel the shakes with tea that I get with full caffeinated coffee. I always drink half-caff coffee for that reason. There's a lot more caffeine in coffee. I do have one steadfast rule and that is to not drink caffeine, tea or otherwise, after about 5pm as it does keep me awake. I turn to PG Tips or Tetley decaf tea or redbush. Green tea is just a bit too "organic" for me but lots of people swear by it. Hope I've helped!! Take care and happy tea drinking! Pam

3. gracenotes profile image88
    gracenotesposted 11 years ago

Well, you have to experiment to see what you can tolerate.  I would never be able to drink more than 1 cup of coffee per day, due to its acidity, but tea is a little different.

There is not that much caffeine in green tea, and I think there is even less in white tea.  I would not feel badly about drinking several cups per day of either one of these.  For the kind of black tea that I like (organic Assam), it is quite strong, so I limit myself there to no more than 2 cups a day.  And certainly make sure that I don't consume much of it after dinner, because it might keep me awake.

Oh, yeah, and the more black tea you drink, the more it stains your teeth.  This is another good reason not to consume too much.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

eh--true about the teeth, but you can get whitening treatments or toothpastes these days.  ;-)

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

I drink tea, both hot and iced--mostly iced, especially in the summer, and have for well over 40 years.  I was the sole tea-drinker in the family when my kids were young, and now that it is just hubby and I, the same is true. 
    I go through about a 1/2 gallon pitcher every couple of days, more if it's really hot weather, and I've never noticed any ill effects.  It does have anitoxidants, and has actually been discovered to be good for you.
    Everyone has to discover their own tolerance level for the caffeine..."they" say it has less than coffee, but I suspect that depends upon how it's brewed.  I like my tea  plain black, and "strong enough for a mouse to walk across."  ;-)  Poured into a cup, it's hard to tell from coffee....I believe I've actually become immune to the effects of caffeine--I can drink tea at bedtime, and not have trouble going to sleep.
    Best wishes.

5. Mazzy Bolero profile image67
    Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years ago

I'm British and I drink tea all day.  It has far less caffeine than coffee and so is refreshing without making you nervy.  Tea contains antioxidants, particularly green or white tea.  Green tea is even supposed to help you lose weight by speeding up your metabolism - you have to drink five cups a day to get that effect, though.  Tea apparently contains minute amounts of arsenic - but I think you would have to drink a heck of a lot to get a significant amount of it.   I don't think a cup every couple of hours would do you any harm.

6. meditatio profile image60
    meditatioposted 11 years ago

I guess it depends on the kind of tea we are talking about *and* your own reaction to it.
    One cup of black tea and I am jittery for the rest of the day, but I can easily drink 3-4 cups of green tea feeling well and refreshed and sleeping perfectly well.
    White tea and herbal teas can be consummed without any real concern as far as I know.
    If you happen to like Rooibos tea, you could drink as much of it as you'd like (though it makes me sick in my stomach but that might not be your case).
    Outside of the tea in itself, you also have to consider the type of sweetener you put in that coud be detrimental to your general health if you consume too much of it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5281046.stm

1. cloverleaffarm profile image68
      cloverleaffarmposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Herbal teas should not be consumed willy nilly. Herbs are medicine, and act as such on the body. Many herbal teas should not be drank by certain individuals. You'd be surprised at the contraindications of herbs.

7. ChristyWrites profile image79
    ChristyWritesposted 11 years ago

I like to drink black tea and I do so on a daily basis. I would say that two cups of regular (not de-caffeinated) tea would be the limit per day. Having more than that could make you jittery and increase your blood pressure. Enjoy the beverage, but in moderation!

1. Mazzy Bolero profile image67
      Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But remember that tea also contains l-thianine which creates calm alertness. Green tea has been shown to lower both blood pressure and blood sugar. The average amount of caffeine in a cup of tea is 27 mg whereas in coffee it's 80 mg.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)