Do you think that a person who does not agree with same sex marriage is homophob

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (26 posts)
  1. breathe2travel profile image73
    breathe2travelposted 11 years ago

Do you think that a person who does not agree with same sex marriage is homophobic?

2. profile image0
    NikiiLeeReyesposted 11 years ago

I know a few gay couples, who refuse to get married because of their christian beliefs;  as contradicting as it may sound or seem, it doesn't change who they are.  There can be people who dont agree with the same sex marriage, and still have friends who are involved in same sex relationships. Point is, we believe what we believe. We shouldnt let it stop us from living our lives, or risking the possibility of friendship because of a mind you cannot open. Know what I mean? I think this can be a yes and a no. smile

-Nika

breathe2travelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think someone is homophobic based only on their view of marriage. I am asking this question because of something I read.

2. profile image0
      NikiiLeeReyesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't think you thought that-lol, I like to think that sometimes all questions are general. Usually based on things we see, hear--or are influenced by. But I really think this is a yes and a no.

3. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 11 years ago

I don't think that there is a 1-on-1 relationship between those who oppose same-sex marriage and those who are homophobic.....    There is LIKELY some overlap, but - even if there is - what difference does it make?????

I agree.  But I see, too often, the word "homophobic" thrown into an argument simply because someone views marriage differently than others.  I was curious what others thought.

4. MilesArmbruster profile image60
    MilesArmbrusterposted 11 years ago

Agreement is based on principles, fear is irrational. Some people are more prone to fear in the face of issues, others work hard to be logical. Some people present themselves in a way that causes fear in others, and some people are pleasant in the midst of the most controversial circumstances. Given this diversity in temperament, it is possible to disagree with someone without fearing them. I disagree with plenty of people who I don't fear at all.

1. profile image0
      NikiiLeeReyesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like this--but I really dont see how you answered her question?...

2. breathe2travel profile image73

Reading between the lines, Miles is saying you can disagree with same sex marriage without fearing/hating homosexuals.

5. Attikos profile image81
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

No doubt some are, though homophobes are few and far between, rarer than homogynists, who are scarcer than misogynists or androgynists, of both of whom there are not large numbers. A great many people oppose homosexual marriage, far more than fall into all those categories combined. They do so out of all kinds of reasons. Homophobia as a motive of disagreement with the concept of same sex marriage is one so minute it disappears in the numbers.

Perhaps you should include footnotes with this answer. wink

2. ackman1465 profile image61
      ackman1465posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Attikos:  "Cute" submittal... but sufficiently transparent so that anyone can see that you are trying to be "cute"....and that really doesn't advance the discussion, does it?????

3. Attikos profile image81
      Attikosposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, ackman, there's a good deal to the line of reasoning, if you can get past my cute figure, and your presuppositions.

6. profile image0
    Chris Hughposted 11 years ago

I wonder why this question is showing up on my feed. Nothing against the answers, which have been thoughtful.

7. Clive Donegal profile image67
    Clive Donegalposted 11 years ago

This issue troubles me.
    Usually I have no trouble figuring out where I stand on an issue, but although I have no question that I am as far from being a homophobe as is possible, gay marriage troubles me. Maybe not troubles, it just doesn;t feel right. A good (male)friend of mine is married to another man, and we frequently go out to dnner and he seems to find it amusing that I get squirmy when he calls him his husband,
    Despite my own uncertainty though, I find that I have negative feelings about those who vociferously oppose gay marriage. I suspect is because those who most vigorously oppose ir often do strike me as homophobes.

8. Canditj profile image60
    Canditjposted 11 years ago

I think they don't have enough going on in their own lives to be so concerned with what someone else is doing. There are so many other things that could be protested that would really help a lot of people. Gay Marriage is NOT one of them. Who cares and why? Find something more productive to do is what I suggest to those fearful subjects.

9. Express10 profile image84
    Express10posted 11 years ago

Some people who disagree may be however, I don't automatically think that people who disagree with same sex marriage are homophobic. Many people in this world have different beliefs, life experiences, or have been raised with one idea of marriage.

Their disagreement on this issue doesn't make them wrong or right. Their opinion is theirs and doesn't necessarily make them homophobic.

10. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years ago

No.  A phobia is an irrational or excessive fear. People who disagree with same-sex marriage do not have a fear of homosexuals or homosexuality. They just hold to a different belief system and moral code.

11. Becky Katz profile image81
    Becky Katzposted 11 years ago

Homophobia is by definition an irrational fear of homosexual. All people who do not agree with same sex marriage do not have this irrational fear. There are many reasons for not agreeing with same sex marriage. They are people just like the rest of us. So the answer to your question is 'NO'.

1. BrianMI6 profile image61
      BrianMI6posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What's really important, though, is we have to define what "irrational" is. Other nations who embraced this type of thing soon fell because of the collapse of their moral structure. 'm fearful that we might repeat their mistakes. Am I irrational?

12. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 11 years ago

Actually, the answer to that question is in the eye of the beholder. Many believe that individuals who are opposed to same-sex marriage are  "homophobic" and others believe that is not necessarily so.

Personally, I am strictly opposed to same-sex marriage; however, I am not "homophobic" -- and that is because I do not have a phobia of "homosexuals," nor am I prejudiced towards them.

13. kmaskreations profile image58
    kmaskreationsposted 11 years ago

No. What I "fear" is what's coming next.  The fact that we even entertain such ideas is scary.  Same sex marriage?  In twenty years, will it be that a group of people have proven animals have the ability to love and therefore it is only right that I be allowed to marry my dog?  When people return to God and his written word, such topics will go the route of other historic ignorant practices.  Unfortunately, few will seek God's truth and will continue to live to please Satan.

14. profile image54
    Squirrelgonzoposted 11 years ago

IMHO, Those who do not agree with same sex marriage are NOT necessarily homophobic.

Does this make those who are against same-sex marriage hateful human beings, were brought up wrong or had horrible parents?

Not necessarily. It just means that they have a different opinion than those who do support same sex marriage. 

People are different, that is all.

Gonzo-Out.

15. IDONO profile image60
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

No. However, I think many of them are afraid it threatens the validity of their own heterosexual marriage. Not the legal part, but the strength of their relationship as a couple. Can you imagine ones relationship being on shaky ground and realizing a couple in a same sex marriage have a much stronger foundation, understanding and future than yours? That would be the ultimate humility and some can't face that . That's why many are against same sex marriage, but won't admit it.

1. Becky Katz profile image81
      Becky Katzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally disagree with you on this. Most do not care if people are even in a relationship. They just believe that same sex marriage is wrong. I believe that it is wrong. I have gay friends and most of them believe that it is wrong.

16. FasterBullbus profile image60
    FasterBullbusposted 11 years ago

I once had to think about this fishy feeling. Believe it or not, my best friend was a gay; and I never knew it until he told me, which was a long ago. I must have been like a child then, always tripping in Good Mood. But since then, I always have a fear that each fellow I meat, be it a stranger as I don’t have any friends, may possibly be ‘A Homo’.  And being a Homophobic, I always trip in my mind, anytime.
    Personally, I don’t like the idea of ‘Same Sex Marriage’. I believe it’s fishy and an illiterate thing to do. And also, I am ‘Homophobic’. And if in my power, then I would want to be the first person to ask for stopping this madness, and be decent.
    On the contrary, Vice-versa is true, too.  However, I think that a person who does not agree with Same Sex Marriage may sometimes be homophobic, or else he is just standing against it as he is standing against violence.
    Life is a trip, itself!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)