Would you lie to your spouse?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. jpcmc profile image90
    jpcmcposted 11 years ago

Would you lie to your spouse?

2. neeta chauhan profile image60
    neeta chauhanposted 11 years ago

I would never lie to my spouse the reason being that if you lie once
    there is no end to it and it starts to become pretty fun for you to make
    fool of your spouse but when your spouse gets to know about all
    your lies to him/her will put him/her off you for good leaving you
    in an uncomfortable situation where all justifications will prove as
    making matters worse and ruin your relationship of trust in pieces
    in no time . So why not be brave and face the music so much so that
    because of your honesty he /she falls in love with you even more then
    before, God for bid if not then he/she was never meant for you and
    your communication is lacking something .......

3. content4life profile image61
    content4lifeposted 11 years ago

It depends on what the situation is.. I know we aren't suppose to lie to anyone but sometimes in different cases you may have to with hold the truth to save someone's feelings.  This is the only time I would fib a little..

4. CriticalMessage profile image66
    CriticalMessageposted 11 years ago

If I had a spouse and she asked me the dreaded question of 'Do I look fat in these pants?'... And knowing the truth would devastate her. Which would result in more anguish that I wish to put upon myself... Yes, I would likely lie...
    Sometimes it is a good thing not to have a spouse... *grins*

5. mackyi profile image63
    mackyiposted 11 years ago

It has been said that "honesty is the best of policy". I rather to be honest, because lying only makes matters worst, if she comes to find out that I have told her a lie. She wont be able to trust me again, and might even begin to question my loyalty and everything that I had told her in the past. Ultimately, this will only lead to an irretrievable breakdown in relationship.

6. michememe profile image60
    michememeposted 11 years ago

I agree with content4life, it depends on the situation. I actually prefer to omitt answering certain kinds of questions.

7. avorodisa profile image78
    avorodisaposted 11 years ago

Fool me, but skillfully fool me... You know, the question is not as easy as it seems. On the face of it, lying is no good. But if the truth that I tell hurts my spouse? There are ways to tell the truth, also. And what do you call lying? Some people lie just for fun of lying. This is definitely very sinful. Keeping in secret things that, revealed, could cause unwanted and destructive circumstances for the realtionship is probably even more ethical than telling the truth. There are so many situations in life... and in relationships. It's a jeweler's art to keep good family relationships, especially when your spouse is a person of strong temper.

8. Brittanie2216 profile image75
    Brittanie2216posted 11 years ago

No I would not I have in past relationships and will never again.  I want a real relationship with a real person not sugar coated at all.  Since that is what I want I do the same for my spouse.  If you really love someone you accept them for who they are and if someone really loves you they should do the same.  You can lie or alter the truth so you don't hurt their feelings but that is not giving the other person a chance to really understand you and who you are.

9. libby1970 profile image68
    libby1970posted 11 years ago

No. I don't think lying is ever healthy. I think once you break over into lying it becomes too easy to lie. You forget what honesty is all about and it becomes habit-forming.

So NO lying is never a good policy! I always try to be truthful.

10. yssubramanyam profile image60
    yssubramanyamposted 11 years ago

no, one lie needs 1000 lies to cover up, and needs lot of memory, be honest and discuss. be open minded with life partner.

11. JideAlexander profile image59
    JideAlexanderposted 11 years ago

Honesty is always going to be the best policy as mackyi pointed out and I rather keep it that way. Although there may be certain circumstances where you want to be mindful of ones feelings so not to hurt them, but I think that telling them a lie will hurt worse than the truth because in the end when the truth is revealed, he'll/she'll be looking at you asking "why? Why didn't you just tell me?"

12. joanake profile image59
    joanakeposted 11 years ago

This seems more toward the grey areas of life. There isn't a clear cut black/white situation here as to whether you should never lie, or you'll be lying to your spouse all the time. Sometimes there are certain things that you should not be too truthful because you are trying to be tactful. Most people would want to be a good partner and tell their wives that they look beautiful everyday. But perhaps there are just some of those bad hair days that they happen to look less than dapper. Would you be truthful and tell them they look not too great?

Surely that does nothing good on their self-esteem and it will either invoke a negative response or leave an awkward silence hanging in the air. I live by being truthful in major and most situations, but sometimes a little white lie is good for any relationship.

13. markberch profile image59
    markberchposted 11 years ago

honesty is the best of policy

if you lie him/her what else matters?

14. BraidedZero profile image85
    BraidedZeroposted 11 years ago

I would never intentionally lie to my spouse but I would definitely keep something from her. Some things just aren't good things to bring up and are better kept a secret to avoid confrontation.

15. adjkp25 profile image90
    adjkp25posted 11 years ago

Lying is a part of our society but are there times when a lie is OK?  In some cases a little lie might but alright, but lies can also be bad too. read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)