How often do you lie?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (24 posts)
  1. donnaisabella profile image73
    donnaisabellaposted 12 years ago

How often do you lie?

Whom do you lie to most, your spouse?  family? Friends or workmates? Why?

2. Author Cheryl profile image81
    Author Cherylposted 12 years ago

I dont lie ever to anyone.  I tell it like it is whether painful or not.

3. FduToit profile image70
    FduToitposted 12 years ago

I don't like to lie and I hate being lied to.

Reminds me of something old JR once said in Dallas. He said "why tell the truth when a good lie will do?" I thought it was funny when I heard it but I can't be like that.

4. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 12 years ago

Never, at least never knowingly, lies are the destruction of trust.

I once had a serious argument with two friends who insisted that by not lying I was going to hurt others, however when placed in a position where the truth would initially hurt the inquirer, I accept that we have a responsibility to exercise caution when we reply, but not to lie.

In the worse case one could simply ask "Do you really want me to answer that?" but to lie would be wrong.

Disclosing less than ALL the truth is one way to save someone from damage, but from experience when someone asks a serious question, they expect and are able to receive the whole truth, even when it hurts.

Of course we then assume the responsibility of guiding them back to a secure shore to stand upon, where they can recover from learning that what they feared has been confirmed.

5. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6230308_f260.jpg

I lie all the time. In fact I'm lying right now. Except for that ... and that .... and that .....

http://ptosis.hubpages.com/hub/liarliar

This sentence is false!

6. pingthis2012 profile image61
    pingthis2012posted 12 years ago

Whenever the situation calls for it. When some people ask for opinions, I have to gauge the situation. Will they take this the wrong way or will they understand? Will this do them more good than harm? After I consider those things, I determine my course of action.

And if a cop where to pull me over and I know a realistic lie can get me out of the situation, I'll do it. I'd rather deal with my conscious shaking it's finger than an outrageous fine or jail time!

7. Max Shelley profile image60
    Max Shelleyposted 12 years ago

I don't lie very often however when I do I don't feel bad about it afterwards because I only lie when necessary. I would say I lie to the government most often though... like once I did a job and got paid 4k cash I didn't tell anyone about it because I didn't want my money taxed...

8. SidKemp profile image84
    SidKempposted 12 years ago

I wish I could say "never," and that is my goal. But, in all honesty, I've lied about five times in my life. That's once every ten years. But I'm doing better - the last one was about 20 years ago.

I think it is hard to be honest. My definition of honesty is: My words match reality. I can say, "I don't know," or "I don't want to tell you," or "I don't know how to say this," and all those make telling the truth easier.

9. feenix profile image58
    feenixposted 12 years ago

I lie all the time, mostly to myself.

And the primary reason why I am always lying to myself is it helps me to deal with life's harsh realities.

For example, when times are hard for me, I always lie by telling myself that times are good.

10. alisha4u profile image40
    alisha4uposted 12 years ago

I don't lie, instead I just twist it the other way...

However, in my childhood days, I used to lie a lot to my parents and friends...to get an upper-hand or to get something done.

11. Smart is Good profile image61
    Smart is Goodposted 12 years ago

Oh my lord, I can't lie. It's not because I think it's so damn wrong but because I would start laughing and pulling all these weird faces that would give me away immediately.

Honestly I do hate lying, specially to my significant other. I cannot lie to him ever, I'd feel terrible and he'd notice right away. I've lied to my parents without remorse but about tiny things just to make things easy going. And sometimes to my classmates when I can't make it to class I'll fake some excuse. But I do hate lying. And I'd feel a zillion times worse if I was being lied to.

12. BrilliantlyDull profile image58
    BrilliantlyDullposted 12 years ago

I don't lie very frequently, but I occasionally do to my family or friends - for example, I might tell a friend I enjoy their writing when it's actually unbearable. I'm a young teen, so I figure that I have to lie more because I have to handle more rules - I've sneaked another cookie by saying I've only ate one plenty of times before. wink

However, I could never tell a larger or more serious lie - like lying about cheating on a boyfriend - or lie to an authority figure like a teacher (for example, saying I'd finished a book I hadn't) since I'd either burst out laughing, or in the latter case freak out because I'm sure the teacher would give me an impromptu pop quiz. big_smile

13. zzron profile image56
    zzronposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/2296239_f260.jpg

To tell the truth, I never lie. LOL..............................

14. laziam profile image61
    laziamposted 12 years ago

Every once in a while.

You cannot really say how often as you cannot say you never lie.

15. Marisaupa profile image73
    Marisaupaposted 12 years ago

I never lie.  My entire life has been lived with honesty and sincerity as the main driving forces for my existence. 

Friends, family, acquaintances, casual passers by, if they ever thought for a moment that something that I have said was so much as a half truth they surely have been mistaken.  You see, I live surrounded by liars, people scheming to get me purely due to feelings of jealousy of my truthful ways. 

Mom... when you accused me of lying about the space aliens eating all the cookies from the jar when I was 8, I know that you are in on it.  How could you mom, I'm your own flesh and blood!

To previous employers who could not fathom that a person might call in sick for an entire week with the flu and return 2 pounds heavier and several shades tanner... SHAME ON YOU!

To the ruggedly handsome highway patrolman who simply snickered as he gave me a speeding ticket right after I poured my guts out about the life and death battle to the death that I had with a mosquito in my car which distracted me temporarily from the speedometer enough to reach speeds of 85 MPH... have you no shame, does your uniform mean nothing to you?

Ah... who am I kidding, yes, I lie.

16. petersavage profile image59
    petersavageposted 12 years ago

Nearly every person in the world lies everyday. Maybe not knowingly, but they do.

Think carefully about the words that come out of your mouth, are they "the truth" or simply "your truth". Everybody perceives information, knowledge, and situations differently.

Just because you believe something is true doesn't make it so.

So how can anybody tell the truth?

17. giocatore profile image88
    giocatoreposted 12 years ago

I'm pretty much incapable of lying, thanks to my parents. Besides being the right thing to do, it makes your life much simpler when you don't have to cover yourself because you didn't tell someone the truth.

18. profile image0
    mcals71posted 12 years ago

Reading most of these answers I wouldn't want to be the adulterer woman in the Gospel that was about to be stoned to death just before Jesus said the famous words, "He who is without sin let him cast the first stone."

19. Hypersapien profile image45
    Hypersapienposted 12 years ago

I have an inherent aversion to lying, and it manifests itself in various ways.  For instance, if I call into the office sick and I'm really not, I will develop psychosomatic symptoms.  In other words, I will actually get sick if I'm not.  In short, I try not to lie, but it means I've had to learn to think and my feet, become a pro at sidestepping some questions ("Does this dress make me look fat?"), etc.

20. mightylearning profile image52
    mightylearningposted 12 years ago

When a lie can do good, and if I had to lie every day I will do it

21. cost-segregation profile image58
    cost-segregationposted 12 years ago

I used to smoke cigarette daily and i have not told to  my wife about bad habit of cigarette . on that time i have told a lie in front of wife and i know this is bad but i do

22. annabelles fun profile image59
    annabelles funposted 12 years ago

every day i try to make a honsety persom of my slef but it just doesnt happen sad it sucks big time smile

23. Danish Dero profile image58
    Danish Deroposted 12 years ago

i don't lie and i never want to lie because lie is a way of disconnection with your friends and family.

24. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

I have lied a few times to my family but it's to keep them from getting upset. There are times I am going through very difficult times and when my Dad calls me from abroad, I will say everything is fine and put on a cheery voice.

I don't wanna give him any heartache........ but when I see him in person, I will confess and tell him the truth - Easy for him to bare then. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)