Idiot On The Internet

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (27 posts)
  1. lostgirlscat profile image61
    lostgirlscatposted 14 years ago

I'm 45. college educated, and I've been on the Internet for approximately 4 months. (O.K., so I'm little slow on the uptake]
    I like writing for Hubpages but some of the technical aspects are beyond me. Alright, embarrassing to admit,but I don't know how to cut and paste a link. OK, I don't know how to cut and paste period, so sue me! I've yet to get one comment on my Hubs and I don't know which aspect of my ineptitude is causing this.
    any help will be appreciated, but, B.A. in English Lit aside, when it comes to the computer world, keep the K.I.S.S. principle in mind. [Keep it simple [cause I'm] stupid!]

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most of us were like you when we first started using computers and the internet.

Just keep on spending time on the internet and you will learn everything in a short time.

2. dohn121 profile image81
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Okay, before I can help, what link are you trying to cut and paste? (I have a B.A. in English with a minor in Creative Writing = I'm a Creative Writing Major)  Is the link an outside link (outside of Hubpages) or is it a link to another hub here?  Or are you trying to do a hot link within the text of your hub?  Let me know what you are trying to do.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dohn I never knew that ,now I know why yer cool as smile

2. lostgirlscat profile image61
        lostgirlscatposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    3. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Hey there  lostgirlscat,welcome to you!! whoever you are and wherever youre from- I dont care if you have been on the internet for one day or one thousand days , whatever you think and feel will be UNIQUE~

Its true, its the world wide web and Im a Kiwi living in the USA

so Im in box 13 ,lol j/k...enjoy smile

4. emievil profile image65
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL I have to laugh when you stated your K.I.S.S. meaning. I was pretty much like you when I started with online writing (before I joined hubpages that is). I slowly learned by trial and error. Not yet an expert by any means but I do get by. I got great help from several hubs I read during my two months here. Plus a lot of hubbers here are more than willing to lend a helping hand for those in need. smile

5. darkside profile image67
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

On the bright side, I don't think there has ever been a legal precedent of a person being sued for not knowing how to cut and paste.

But it is easy. "Copy and paste", "cut and paste" they're very similar. One cuts the original, the other just copies. But it allows you to paste it somewhere else.

How have you been creating your hubs thus far? Do you type them straight into the capsule, or do you write them on a Wordprocesser or text document?

If you do the latter, then you're probably copying and pasting already, to get your information from one place to another.

6. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm... Don't know how to make suggestions because I visited a couple of your hubs and found NO content at all.  Hope you find the key here somewhere.
      I was lucky enough to have my own children who taught me some basics.

I will be looking for you.

1. darkside profile image67
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Scroll down, she's got the Comment Capsule at the top of the hub.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
          Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well that explains a lot. I'm not used to commenting before I read the hub.

7. dahoglund profile image70
      dahoglundposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I sort of came into the computer world reluctantly because of my job at the time. It was a Darwin thing, adapt of become obsolete.I'm still struggling with with a lot of things but I've survived so far. Good or bad, at that time everyone else was in the same situation, but the younger people were more oriented to the computer world, so help from coworkers was hard to come by. Like all learning curves it is painful at first but sooner or later it comes to you. Use every resource available. I've found the library often has course and librarians are the experts on the internet, so ask them quesstions.

2. spease profile image59
    speaseposted 14 years ago

Everyone has to start somewhere.  You do need to learn how to copy and paste.  It will save you so much time.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

emievil is such a sweet and kind person, cant go wrong listening wink there, hell just add her as a fan!

1. SweetiePie profile image83
      SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Loved her recent hub on stay home dads smile.  I suggest everyone check it out.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image70

Why can't I find that hub in her profile. sad

4. Beth100 profile image66
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Congratulations on taking on the internet and the computer world in general!  It takes a bit of work, but learning how to navigate and work the programs will provide lots of education and information at your finger tips.

Cut and paste is very simple.  What you do is:

1.  Use your mouse and place the cursor at the beginning of what you want to highlight.  Then click the left mouse button and keep it held down.  Then drag the cursor to the right and stop at the end of what  you want to highlight.  Let go of the left mouse button.  The item that you want to hilight will be highlighted.

2.  With the mouse arrow pointed over a portion of the highlighted text, click the right mouse button.  A drop down menu will appear.  In the drop down menu, you will have the option of "copy".  Click the mouse arrow on "copy".  Nothing will appear as the copied item is "invisible" until you paste it.

3.  Go to the document or the place of where you want to paste the information.  Place the cursor at the point of where you want this to be inserted.  Click the right mouse button, and the same drop down menu will appear.  With the mouse arrow, choose "paste".  The item that you had just copied will now appear as the "pasted" item. 

That is the simple version of cut and paste.  Also, copy and paste can be done between tabs on a browser, different programs (such as Excel/Word, Word/Internet...).  The "copied" item will remain on your clipboard (memory) until it is changed with the next "copy" or "cut". 

I suggest that you take a course on Microsoft Word, which will teach you many of the basics of working in a word processor as well as on the net.  Many of the commands are similar plus it will let you become more familar of the looks and how things work.

Please give me shout if you need further help.  smile

5. emievil profile image65
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Thanks Eaglekiwi. Where are those kiwis from the previous thread? LOL.

Thanks SweetiePie. It's always nice to hear your thoughts and read your words smile.

UH, actually its the switching roles hub. You already left a comment smile.

1. SweetiePie profile image83
      SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry I got the title wrong smile.  It is a very informative hub.

Em which Kiwis? , they probably in our tomorrow as we type wink

1. emievil profile image65
          emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

SweetiePie, no need to apologize. It meant a lot to me to receive your comment smile.

Eaglekiwi, hmmmmm the ones in the picture (oh no, here I go again) LOL.

ohhhhh, they are shy (so they say!) but have it on good authority they like hamburgers, oh like we are surprised they like meat..hahha

How bout we throw something on the grill and mingle lol

Em the warrior waits for your response:

http://kevingong.com/Hiking/Images/200203NewZealand/03Rotorua/NZ054P29MaoriWarrior001.jpg

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image70

Got it, yea, that's one cool hub. big_smile

6. blaise25 profile image74
    blaise25posted 14 years ago

no one is idiot ;p

try following and understanding these HP tools to guide you...

http://hubpages.com/_hpcapsule25/guide/hubtool/capsules

7. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

think lostcat is lost ,oh dear

8. emievil profile image65
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Eaglekiwi, I like the last one better smile. Okay, me veering off the topic again smile.

9. lostgirlscat profile image61
    lostgirlscatposted 14 years ago

I'd like to try to link to members of hubpages and also outside links. The objective is more traffic. Anything you can tell me will help. Thanks for responding. Sorry I took so long to get back, but I have to steal the time to get here. Thanks again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)