Have you ever lost it at church, as in you just couldn't stop crying?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. MissMelissaK profile image80
    MissMelissaKposted 11 years ago

Have you ever lost it at church, as in you just couldn't stop crying?

Today's sermon touched a nerve in me today.  It was about fathers and how important they are in the spiritual development of their children and how they help to shape their children's lives.  I was never particularly close to my father (my parents divorced when I was little.) and he believes the Bible is a bunch of fairy tales.  Is it painful to see him act this way?  Yes, but all I can do is pray that one day he will realized the value of God's Word and how it is more precious than gold.   I wonder sometimes what it would be like to be raised by a father who loved and honored the Lord.

2. heavenbound5511 profile image63
    heavenbound5511posted 11 years ago

No but others I know have. It's like God's spirit touching us and causing healing. Maybe this is the time God wants to heal your heart of the things from your childhood.
    Now I have been at home and felt as you said- couldn't stop crying. Just be sensitive to how God is trying to lead you- listen and act on his direction.
    Even if God brings to your rememberance past events of childhood- it would be for you to pray over those moments- and give it to God and let him heal you by taking the stuff out by the roots-where it began.
    God bless you and I hope this serves as an confirmation.

Once we have forgiven the person and allowed healing-than we can truly pray for them how God wants- God will have his way with your Father, Just let him have his way with you first!

MissMelissaKposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  That was beautiful.  Tears are from heaven.  They allow our souls to bleed.  I definately need to give it to God. Thank you for the gentle reminder.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Yes. When the Holy spirit comes over you, You aren't in control of your feelings. That's the good stuff. Just the mention of His name "Jesus" can bring me to tears. God Bless you Miss Melissa!!

Thnak you.  Isn't that the truth?  It's the Holy Spirit within you that makes every fiber of your being feel in a way that is beyond one's control.  God bless you JThomp42 for the gentle reminder.

4. Efficient Admin profile image87
    Efficient Adminposted 11 years ago

Yes.  It was around 1990 I was regularly attending a really good southern baptist church up in Arlington, VA and the preacher was really good and did a sermon on abortion and I just could not stop those tears running down my face the whole time.  The sermon was about how God values us even in the womb - that everyone is very valuable to him and He knows the number of hairs on our heads and knits us in the womb. He knew us before we were ever born. 

The tears were because at that time in life I just realized that the people who were supposed to love and care and support me were not doing so and never would. They were a bunch of mean users and back biters and I felt really worthless like a piece of trash because that's how these people treated me. I realized at that sermon that God didn't think that way about me. He knitted me wonderfully in the womb and knows my name.

Long story short those people are not in my life anymore and I am the better for it and my depression has left me long ago. So if anyone has depression problems -- you might want to take a look around you.

Beautifully said.  I have a met a few harsh critics in my lifetime but now that I have God confidence versus self confidence, their words don't affect me anymore.  I know that God loves me and that I have value because I am his child.

5. Seek-n-Find profile image69
    Seek-n-Findposted 11 years ago

Oh yes, oh yes.  Holy Spirit almost ALWAYS brings tears to my eyes.  Tears can be very healing.  I went through a year when I cried--no--BAWLED--almost every day.  I wasn't depressed--I was spending intimate time with God in a lonely season and He was touching and healing deep places in my heart.  I didn't know how to respond or what to even pray for.  I would just barely start praying and the tears would flow.  I believe God set me free from a lot of emotional wounding that had taken place in my life during that crying year.  Keep praying for your father--prayers are SOOOOO powerful.  Not one goes without the Kingdom of Heaven moving on your behalf.  Your heavenly Father knows how to Father you and will make up for what you may have lost from the lack from your earthly father.  Just soak in the Father's Love and let Him wash you clean.  You will have time in eternity (and a lot of it!) where all sorrows in this life will be turned to joy on the other side.  Weep in God's presence and make room for the joy that He wants to fill your heart up with.  Blessing to you!

That was beautiful.  Thank you for sharing.  It's amazing how the Holy Spirit moves and flows through our lives with such transforming energy.

6. Vegas Elias profile image61
    Vegas Eliasposted 11 years ago

Yes this has happened to me several times and I could not even know why tears rolled out of my eyes. Sometimes I have shed tears continuously for 10 to 15 minutes continuously. I am told this is sort of a inner healing by God.

It feels so good after, doesn't it?  Almost like you're being freed from some type of bondage.  I feel more humble and meek after a good cry, that's for sure.

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Yes, my husband is (was) a Lutheran pastor.  He suffered an injury and had to give up his work and his congregation. He was their pastor for over 15 years and loved each and every one of them, even the difficult ones.  When he did his final service and it was over and he went to the microphone and told everyone how honored he ws to have been their pastor, my daughters and I sat there with tears running down our faces. We couldn't hold it together. It was so sad for this loving man to lose his entire career due to a freak injury.

On personal note, every time we do the confession, my eyes involuntarily well up and I am very close to losing it.

Sorry to hear that duffsmom.  I can only imagine what you and your family are going through.  I pray that God gives you the strength to carry forward.  God bless you.

8. daleamy profile image60
    daleamyposted 11 years ago

Absolutely! Sometimes, it has been because of a difficult season I'm going through and feeling God's Spirit wash over me and feel His reassurance that He is bigger than my circumstances, but sometimes it is just the intensity of His Spirit and there isn't a reason. Those are some intense, beautiful times.
    I've been trying to sort through emotions during worship, trying to ask myself, am I crying in response to what God is telling me? Are my tears drawing me closer to Him? Sometimes that answer is yes, but sometimes I feel like my emotions get in the way, that because I'm feeling sorry for myself or focused on myself, I start crying and then I'm not able to worship as well. In that case, I have to try to push those emotions back, because I don't want emotions to get in the way of keeping the worship focused on Him.
    I don't know if anyone else has struggled with feeling like the unstoppable tears are sometimes a hindrance (they're certainly not a lot of the time!) but I'd be interested to hear other's opinions on that.

1. Vegas Elias profile image61
      Vegas Eliasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes I have. You can read my comment above. I really do not know. But this does happen when you really connect with the Supreme Soul. It may be repentance, love or just a feeling of ecstasy that some people do cry ceaselessly sometimes in a Church.

2. MissMelissaK profile image80

I understand what you're saying.  I was at my Uncle's memorial and his daughters speech made me start bawling but I knew the focus was supposed to be on him and I didn't want to make a spectacle so I rushed to the bathroom for a great big cry.

9. Ellana317 profile image69
    Ellana317posted 11 years ago

Yes ma'am... It has happened to me on several occassions.  Most times I just felt overwhelmed by God and his glory.  Other times it happened because I'd been holding emotions that I needed to let go of.  I will say this though, every time I've cried I felt better afterwards.  It proved to be very therapuetic for me.

That's beautiful.  Thank you for sharing.

10. profile image0
    rgmg50posted 11 years ago

Yes, it is the presence of God. Sometimes the crying is for healing, sometimes it is because of the awesomeness of God, sometimes it is truth that comes to the surface, and sometimes it is repentance.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)