How can you be more efficient and get more done?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 11 years ago

How can you be more efficient and get more done?

How do you focus to get done what you need to do? How do you choose what to do next? What if you're overwhelmed and pulled in different directions? Career, family and friend obligations, housework, yard work, pets, appointments, etc....How do you keep it all going and get the most done possible? When I have so much that needs done, I feel almost paralyzed. Any ideas that work for you?

2. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Here is a question of ALL questions!!   Your description, Vee, are my exact words!  ALL that we have on our plate and how it can "overwhelm" and "paralyze."  Those are the perfect words to describe how it effects me, as well.
    Obviously, having said this, you may guess that I don't have an answer!   I will cross my fingers, that hubbers will come by the hundreds with their wonderful advice!!!...............I'll be reading and learning with you!!

Victoria Lynnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We're two peas in a paralyzed pod, Effer! I feel this way the time! Or maybe I'm just lazy.No, I really like to piddle around with stuff but need to be a whirlwind moving from one project to another--like my mom! Hopefully we'll get our answers! Help

3. Hui (蕙) profile image58
    Hui (蕙)posted 11 years ago

This is a big issue, because efficiency is the key for life success! How to increase it? I guess schedule time in a neat way is the first thing. Based on the biological clock of your own, having different thing done in different time zone. But the most important thing is, at least I do think so, the passion! You got to like what you do! So, the problem here to me is actually how to grow passion!!!

4. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

Categorization! That's what works for me. I like to stay busy, so I tend to have a lot on my plate. But sometimes that can be overwhelming. I started keeping a planner. At night, I spend 15 minutes planning the next day. Everything falls into a category. I have the following categories: Household, Yard, Work, Social, Outside Errands. It seems obvious, but Household includes cleaning, paying bills, laundry - all the things I do around the house. I include church under social, calling friends is social, I put school activities under social - things I do with other people is considered social. Outside errands includes, shopping, going to the bank - anything that takes me away from the house and is not a social activity. I use to write everything out under each category, but now I have everything typed out so I can just circle things (saves time). I don't place a time for doing things unless it is for an appointment - and I put appointments on my calendar.

At night, I make sure everything I want to do for the next day is on my list. I estimate how much time I think it is going to take (including driving time). When I do this, I can clearly see when I am about to overbook myself. I can eliminate things or place them on another day. Some days I check mark things as I go. Other days, I check mark everything at night. Either way, I can see how productive I was that day. 

There are occasions when I am so tired that I just go to bed without planning the next day. But, then I suffer because I wake up the next day feeling unorganized and scatter-brained, feeling overwhelmed.

Different things work for different people. I can't say that my technique would work for other people. It might be a lot to do, but it works for me. I'm way less stressed since I started making my lists.

I do make lists all the time, often a list from previous lists for the next day.LOL.Sometimes,though,there are unpleasant things that I don't want to do or Imjust too overwhelmed w/everything,  the same things keep going on the backburner.What then?

2. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah! Ye old' back burner. That right there is my main issue. When I started making my lists, I saw a pattern of me putting the SAME things on the next day's list. It woke me up. And, then I realized, like Daughter of Maat said, I need to do those firs

3. Victoria Lynn profile image88

Great idea, Marlene! If it's on the backburner long enough, it needs to finally go to the front burner. :-) With that said, I really need to go build that cat tree I've been trying to finish for 2 years! LOL

5. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

Well... lol I've recently had this problem Vee! I created my Home Management Notebook, which has kept all my lists together. But I do still have things that I really just don't want to do, and I keep moving them to the next day. So I delegated them! I had my hubby do the chores I had been putting off, since he didn't mind doing them as much as I did. Sometimes you can't do that, and when that is the case, it's mind over matter and I try to get that one thing I don't want to do out of the way first. I just have to force myself to do it. It's like writing when I'm not inspired. I need to do it, I need to make money, writer's block is not an option. It is a test of strength let me just tell ya lol. Once that task is completed though, you'll feel so much better!!

Writing about it helped too. I wrote my first SAHM hub, and while I was writing I figured out that my way of doing things at the time was completely chaotic. That's when I made the notebook, and then I wrote another hub on the subject. Writing about it can help you see it from another person's perspective (ie: the reader). big_smile Hope this helps!!

Awesome ideas, DOM! I don't have anyone to help me unless I pay them. :-( The notebook sounds great. What are the names of your hubs? I want to read them. Thanks!

6. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

Organic energy - in other words go to the task you are drawn to.  Put on a timer and set it for a realistic amount of time in which to complete all or part of the task. Do not stop until the timer beeps or the task or as much as you can manage in that one session is finished.  Give yourself a reward break and snack or drink.  Then start on the next task - when we go with our energy we use both sides of the brai.  Lists deal only with the left side and that gets in the way and as you say makes us paralyzed.  I will be writing a hub about organic energy very soon!

Ineresting, Lizam1! I wonder if that is why a timer for 15 minutes works for my housework? 15 mins in a room--I can get a lot done w/a timer on. Looking forward to your hub on organic energy!

7. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

Learn to say no!  Mind your own business.  Stay off the computer and phone and stop watching TV!

I'm on the computer b/c I write on the computer--LOL.I hate the phone so no problem there. I don't watch much TV except for a break at night.I'm alone most of the day (minding my own business!) but still get overwhelmed w/all there is do.

8. livingabroad profile image71
    livingabroadposted 11 years ago

Organisation is the key! I don't have as many commitments as you as of now but always find being organised helps at home and at work. But where do you find the time to be more organised?!

You must be stressed with that on your plate, but make time for yourself. Try to find a little time each day to both exercise and relax.  Maybe give hubpages a break for a while?! I'm just at the end of 6 hour stint here, my brain feels like it has been fried!

Hope this helps! Good luck in your trail for efficiency and productivity!

9. rtburroughs2 profile image73
    rtburroughs2posted 11 years ago

Obviously career and family come first. Next visualize each project as a finished product with the whole being a final product. Start with the project that will take the most effort, this will most likely be the housework. Break this into even smaller projects, doing laundry, vacuuming, doing dishes, cleaning bathrooms, cleaning bedrooms, dusting. Take advantage of automatic appliances, use this time to do other projects. For example when the dishwasher is running wipe the counters, sweep and mop the floor. Get help where and when you can, delegate certain projects to other family members. If you have ever played video games you may have noticed that when you accomplish things you get rewards, do the same thing for yourself. Do not schedule two large projects back to back, even God rested. Put at least one day between large projects, or have someone else do one. Remember to have fun and to reward yourself.every time you accomplish a large project.

10. annart profile image83
    annartposted 11 years ago

Concentrate on what you have to do and make lists!
    I find that as time goes on and my memory is not as good as it should, I need lists to keep me going. 
    Do things in order of importance and don't let anything sidetrack you.  That way, things get done and you feel all the better for it.

11. Ciel Clark profile image72
    Ciel Clarkposted 11 years ago

Great question, I ask myself this every day! 
    I do make lists, and they help for the day to day stuff (sticky notes in a central area!), but the main thing that has helped is GETTING RID OF STUFF. 
    Get rid of the stuff that you don't love or need-- stuff that you are just care-taking.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)