Do women expect more from their best friends than men?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. dashingscorpio profile image78
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

Do women expect more from their best friends than men?

Aside from picking up the tab now and then or lending a few dollars if needed, It seems that men have less expectations of one another when it comes to friendships. They tend to get together just to enjoy each other's company whether it be to watch a sporting event, participate in some activity, or have some drinks and shoot the breeze. Rarely do they have any deep or heart to heart conversations. It also appears there is less falling out between them. Most of the questions I see on hubpages regarding friendship problems appear to come from women. Do men expect less from their friends?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6853106_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

Do men expect less from their friends?

Men are expected to be strong all the time. It is how society  has programmed everyone.

Men have to keep appearances with other men..I think. They can tell the women their deepest emotions as a sign of trust but..if they do other men, it might be construed as a sign of weakness...I do not know.

Women have no such expectations from their friends..men or women alike.

For the most part, all the women need is someone who will listen to their complaints..We never expect each other to solve our problems...at least none of my friends do.

3. Rastamermaid profile image67
    Rastamermaidposted 11 years ago

Men are from Mars,women are from Venus it's kind of like that. Things that girlfriends do and what men do with male friends is totally different.

Women borrow each others clothes,swap recipes,go shopping together,men on the other hand aren't like that. Yeah they'll meetup for the game,have a few beers but believe their talking all sports or chics,not the same depth as a girls night out.

I have male friends quite a few and our discussions are always hot topics,current events and they don't want recipes,they want the dish made for them and brought with you and for you to set up the food and drinks when you come. They like to put the ladies to work. When the girls hang we all chip in,everyone makes a dish or a bottle of wine and we chill,converse a laid back chill aura. Men get togethers aren't usually so chill,calm after the first case of beer the volume goes up and the party is on.

I'm not going to say men expect less from their friends,just that women expect more from theirs.

4. Lady Summerset profile image71
    Lady Summersetposted 11 years ago

Since the age of 7, most of my best friends were boys then men.  I love the ability of being frank, honest, and logical with them.  I've always enjoyed having the male view to balance decision-making in all areas of my life.  In fact, my husband always tell our friends, "if you see a circle of men, you best be assured that my wife is in the middle of them!"

5. profile image54
    Squirrelgonzoposted 11 years ago

Nope, I think that women and men react different to certain situations though and those reactions can be perceived as greater expectations because we are programmed differently.

I dunno...maybe I'm oversimplifying things... Ah well. smile

6. cat on a soapbox profile image94
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

My husband is my strength, and I can feel totally vulnerable around him. Girls are better listeners and can relate more effectively. We give each other validation by sharing our problems and concerns. At this point in life, I find that we girlfriends are not judgemental. We share the same highs and lows  and that just strenghthens the bonds of sisterhood. Also, most of us have lost our moms. We fill that void for each other. I still expect my husband to make the decisions for me if I am incapable. I trust him with our child, and I look to him first if I am having a tough time. My girlfriends run a very close second.
    Men bond w/ each other differently than women. They don't as often confide in each other or let on to problems unless it is a best friend. I think they get validity from physical presence rather than words.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)