Does hubpages act on copyright infringements?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (21 posts)
  1. beta1070 profile image60
    beta1070posted 16 years ago

I ask because I flagged a hub over a month ago for being a blatant copyright infringement (hub/Earn_Money_at_Home2) and it seems to still be very much around.

Does Hubpages actually do anything about copyright infringements? How long do they take on average once a hub has been flagged?

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

They don't do it based on flagging - while I think they lower the hubscore. You need to file a DMCA complaint for them to take a decisive action.

3. StefanMDP profile image77
    StefanMDPposted 16 years ago
  4. beta1070 profile image60

Thanks for your answers, guys. From that link:

So, presumably, in cases like this Hubpages is aware of the violation but chooses to do nothing till it gets a formal complaint from the copyright owner?

It appears that "appropriate action" can be complete inaction wink (even when there's clear evidence via archive.org and copyscape). What I'm getting at is that there may be no proactive efforts here to ensure clean play - the reliance is on the copyright owner noticing the violation and filing a complaint - and if he doesn't notice then.... let's keep it quiet.  To further dissuade the copyright owner - he can't email it or fill a form but he's got to write a letter and send it by post! Nice one, hubpages, that'll get rid of a lot of them.

I can't believe that's true of Hubpages. There's got to be another explanation and I'm keen to see what it is.

Misha, nice to see you in Don's group. Smart.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

We become aware of a copyright violation when the copyright holder informs us of it.  There is no way for a 3rd party to determine definitively whether something that happens to be copied actually violates a copyright.  That's why we suggest that you contact the suspected rights holder directly, so that they can contact us if they so choose.

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

LOL Beta, I figured this out a while ago - and don't know where you are real - here or there big_smile

As for HP and copyright - I think this is your usual strive for perfection. wink Guys have limited resources, and it does not make any business sense to waste those resources on the cases where even owner of the copyright don't care. I think they are pretty reasonable with their approach smile

6. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 16 years ago

Beta the eternal critic is back. smile

The copyright owner can email the copyright infringement complaint.

And no, we don't plan to research all 100,000 Hubs and verify independently if they are, in fact, published by the owner or by someone who has permission. That is, frankly, a ridiculous thing to expect any site like ours to do.

7. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

*agrees with Misha*

8. beta1070 profile image60

paul, I refer you to my quote from earlier. You are saying that the appropriate action you take is monumental inaction? Either you take appropriate action or you don't, which is correct?

Jason, if it wasn't for me ... you and Paul would end up slacking! smile Yes, it does appear that you can submit a complaint by email - it's right at the bottom of all that detailed explanation about sending a letter in the post and fax and the multi-point description of the procedure the original owner has to follow if he has the audacity to submit a complaint...

Back to the point. I appreciate that in some cases it's difficult to ascertain first use ... however, your policy is to wait and do nothing even in those cases where you know for certain there has been a copyright violation? Please clarify.

>>it does not make any business sense to waste those resources on the cases where even owner of the copyright don't care
    Misha, I love you to bits but I believe you've made a serious misjudgement. That someone doesn't know of a theft and/or doesn't have the resources to chase it up and get it removed does not mean that he doesn't care. If someone is encouraging copyright violations by their inaction, it's not cool to find excuses for them.

9. Jason Menayan profile image60

Beta,

Fortunately, there is a U.S. law that deals exactly with this sort of thing, and we follow it. It makes our job simpler.

http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf

10. beta1070 profile image60
    1. Whitney05 profile image84
      Whitney05posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Beta, they cannot 100% guarantee that it has violated a copywrite.

What if the hubber got permission to copy the information and post it as a hub? 

Until the person that's work was stolen says something, the team cannot take down a hub because it may be somewhere else, even if it clearly somewhere else. The hubber could have gotten permission to copy the information, which would not be violating a copyright.

11. gamergirl profile image85

Your question has been clarified.  *points up to Jason and Paul's posts*

12. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 16 years ago

If you do know who the copyright belongs to, you can let that person know it has been violated and have them report it. Most websites will let you know how to contact the writers.

13. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 16 years ago

Here's a couple more choice quotes from Hub Team members...

14. beta1070 profile image60

<deleted, as it would provide a disruptive element the opportunity to take the discussion off course>

15. beta1070 profile image60

Actually, they can in some cases. There are several well known sites that don't licence their content. Articles stolen from there are obviously stolen. When there is reasonable cause for doubt any decent site would challenge the poster for copy of the permission. If it's hubpages' policy to NOT do anything (I notice pauldeeds doesn't confirm whether his "action" is actually "inaction") even when it knows something is stolen then hiding behind DMCA arguements is weak. Hubpages isn't an ISP and won't quality under the section 512 exemption so, sorry Jason, one interpretation could be that you aren't complying with the legislation.

Facts:
    People are stealing content and posting it as hubpages
    They are using this tactic to get linkbacks to their own sites
    The more hubs with stolen content that they can put up the more links they get
    Hubpages, in most cases, ends up doing nothing about it

Thought: Is there a market for a tool that
    A) Trawls hubpages for those copyright violations that are long standing
    B) Identifies the source sites of that content as easy targets
    C) Finds other content from those sites that is not already in hubpages
    D) Sells this to punters via an easy interface - they type in the URL they want links for and the tool steals content for them, inserts a link and gives them stuff ready for posting in hubpages.

Not that I would do anything like that. Call it a hypothetical....

16. gamergirl profile image85

Why don't you email the team about it?  You would receive answers on a one on one basis, rather than making it appear as if you're trying to call the staff of the site out publicly.  You come back every other month or so and make accusations against the way the site is run, on a public forum, when they could - faster and easier in some cases - respond via email.

Also, please note this thread:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/3617

17. beta1070 profile image60

I didn't, get over it.

There are some serious questions on the table. If you don't want to participate in the discussion feel free to leave.

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
      Zsuzsy Beeposted 16 years agoin reply to this

It is a very serious question that is on the table as you say but You blowing in on the east wind occasionally is not going to solve anything. As I don't think you are the discussing type. You blow in every so often stir up a lot of dust then disappear until your bored  and then do it allover again . The solution to this question has been given to you numerous time by the hubteam and some other suggestions by hub members. So now go and do something about it if YOU can. Better yet was something stolen from You? No? Have you contacted the person whose writings were copied or stolen? No? Why not? The question still comes down to the main thing  if you're so concerned about this theft WHY DON"T YOU USE YOUR ONCE A BLUE MOON TIME AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
      kindest regards Zsuzsy

18. Jason Menayan profile image60

beta1070,

If you are still unclear about our rules and procedures, or want to lodge a complaint against a user who has illegally published content that you own the copyright to, then please contact us via email.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)