What are some meal ideas for the summer? (Preferably without turning on the sto

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. whaturmissing profile image77
    whaturmissingposted 11 years ago

What are some meal ideas for the summer?  (Preferably without turning on the stove or oven)

2. DDE profile image48
    DDEposted 11 years ago

A great idea is having fresh salads, fresh green lettuce, sun ripe, tomato. some fresh garlic chopped, and onions, You can chop up the ingredients and some olive oil, salt and some balsamic vinegar, maybe some sugar to give it a slight sweetness, A healthy way as well

whaturmissingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this sounds farmer's fresh.  I have to get to my farmer's market this week to get greens.

3. vespawoolf profile image91
    vespawoolfposted 11 years ago

Buy a rotisserie chicken, remove meat from the bone and dice it. Now make some fresh pico de gallo and guacamole...I just wrote hubs about them if you need a recipe. Heat up some flour or corn tortillas in the microwave and assemble your homemade tacos. It's fresh, delicious and perfect for a summer day!

This does sound delicious and easy!  I'll have to try it!

4. artist101 profile image61
    artist101posted 11 years ago

Use your crockpot, place chicken, or a pork roast a cup of water, and your favorite seasonings in. Set on low for about three hours. If its barbeque, serve on crusty rolls, with chips and coleslaw. If its taco seasoning, serve on tortillas, with toppings of your choice, tortilla chips, and salsa. Place chicken and fahita mix, in a crockpot. Simmer for about 3 hours, an hour before serving, put about a cup of rice in the crockpot, the rice will soak up the juices and seasoning. Serve with crusty bread, and a salad, for a complete meal. Taco salad is another idea, you will have to turn on the stove to cook the hamburger but, only for a little while. Cooking on a grill is also another idea. I have many recipes for a crock pot. http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/pork- … pork-roast

Unfortunately I don't have a crockpot.  My limitations but grilling is a good idea I could try.

2. artist101 profile image61
      artist101posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can use many of the same flavorings, and grill. Slice the pork roast, into pork chops, then marinate for about 30 minutes. Chicken can be used as a substitute for the pork. Serve on tortillas

5. weekend profile image60
    weekendposted 11 years ago

Guacamole. There are so many good recipes for guacamole on HubPages. Take a look, but make sure it's for a GOOD guacamole -- not one of those feeble, five minute preparation ones.

I love guacamole.  Yummy!  Hard part is finding ripe avocados.

2. weekend profile image60
      weekendposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, I've put up a recipe that requires stone hard, unripe avocados.

6. joanwz profile image80
    joanwzposted 11 years ago

There are always the cold items, like those mentioned in other answers here, like salads and fruit. There are deviled eggs (do them in the evening after the sun goes down or early in the morning before things heat up), tuna salad, egg salad, pasta salad.

There are counter top machines used for cooking like a small rotisserie, and the "flavor wave oven". Of course I don't know how much those heat up your kitchen.

Make good use of the grill. It cooks things outside so your kitchen doesn't get hot. Anything and everything can be cooked out there, including vegetables, which taste great by the way. My favorite is grilled corn on the cob.

7. Rosana Modugno profile image73
    Rosana Modugnoposted 11 years ago

This is my kind of question.  I live in FL, so I avoid the oven like the plague because it give off too much heat.  It's always so hot here, I usually eat things that are cool and quick.

I am big on salads.  I will put just about anything in them, including fruits and yogurt.  I also love yogurt and make shakes using fresh fruits that really are meals in themselves because they are so filling.  I use a hand mixer for that.

There's also the sub.  A nice Italian bread sliced in half and lots of yummy cold cuts packed with lettuce, tomatoes.  You can also use hamburger buns instead if you want to keep the portions under control.

Gyros are great fun to make too.  You can pack them with anything!  They are low in fat, (get the whole wheat).  I use tuna a lot for these.

Don't forget the wrap.  If you're like me and don't eat white bread, they have wheat and spinach.  Spread some re-fried beans on them, put in lettuce, tomatoes, some cold cuts there too or leftovers (chicken, beef, turkey).  Stick them in the microwave for a little bit if you like it warm or just eat cold.

What about the microwave?  There are tons of things you can put in there.  You can't go wrong with a baked potato, depending what you put on them.  How about chili, bacon or broccoli with cheese?

This is a great question!  Thank you!

I like the wrap idea.  Think I'll try that with homemade guacamole.   I had a baguette sandwich with salami, harvarti cheese, and cucumber on the weekend.  It was gourmet.

8. Amanda Gee profile image62
    Amanda Geeposted 11 years ago

Salad is a great meal. You can do just about anything with a salad and top it with whatever you wish. There is already prepared and sliced grilled chicken in the fridge section at the store that you can heat up in the microwave and put on the salad, with croutons and ceaser dressing. Mmmm

1. artist101 profile image61
      artist101posted 11 years agoin reply to this

sounds good

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)