What frustrates you the most as a writer?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (26 posts)
  1. SkySlave profile image71
    SkySlaveposted 11 years ago

What frustrates you the most as a writer?

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

For me, the most frustrating part of writing is starting an article, getting halfway through it, and completely losing inspiration to finish the piece. It happens constantly. I have so many articles in a folder on my laptop that remain unfinished it's insane. Although I'll never run out of things to write about, at this rate, I'll never finish any of them either! lol

3. Patty Kenyon profile image68
    Patty Kenyonposted 11 years ago

Writer's Block...lol...enough so that I actually wrote a poem about it.  Other than that, I love writing!!  Regardless of how others feel, writing is a passion, and if it your passion follow it through, and never give up...words are very powerful and can relay important messages.

4. Jennifer Stone profile image71
    Jennifer Stoneposted 11 years ago

I agree with both Daughter Of Maat and Patty Kenyon, but the most frustrating thing for me is finding the time to write! I find inspiration comes when I'm busy working, and then when I actually get the chance to sit down and write, all too often inspiration has left me and I find myself with either writers block or half way through an unfinished piece stuck for words!

5. jlpark profile image80
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

Trying to find the word I want - I'll have it and think "Pen, need a pen" - find a pen....what was that word again? Damn it!  Oh, and the dreaded Writers Block!

6. marwan asmar profile image66
    marwan asmarposted 11 years ago

After a while it becomes harder to think of new off the head topics, so your writing slows down, but the way to overcome this is to read more and keep on the look out for what might be interesting!

7. Lin02 profile image57
    Lin02posted 11 years ago

When I know about the topic I wanted to write but can't think of how to write the first line.

8. prettynutjob30 profile image83
    prettynutjob30posted 11 years ago

Writers block frustrates me the most I hate having something in my head that I am going to write about than as soon as I actually start writing my mind goes blank.

9. alifeofdesign profile image89
    alifeofdesignposted 11 years ago

Time. I never have enough time to work on Hub Pages, write, research, create my graphics. I have a pile of ideas and notes that sit on my next and all I need is the time to sit and write.

10. bizzymom profile image62
    bizzymomposted 11 years ago

I get upset when I think of something to write and I don't have time to properly sit down and write it.  By the time, I do have a spare moment, I can't remember exactly what I was going to write and it doesn't sound as good!

11. profile image0
    AaronHubb89posted 11 years ago

Having a full-on plan and yet somehow straying away from the original plan. I'm going through that right now in my fantasy novel titled Wings of Elyium: Birth of the Iron Angel. I had planned it all out based on actual events in my life...I guess somewhere along the line my life became uninteresting lol. No but seriously this sucks, also...when you writing and have your mode going and then someone starts crunching or blaring their music...happens almost all the time while I'm at work.

12. Steele Fields profile image69
    Steele Fieldsposted 11 years ago

Not getting read.  Even with Internet exposure, people have short attention spans and don't take the time to read- which makes it tough if you're a writer!

13. dmhenderson profile image60
    dmhendersonposted 11 years ago

For me the most frustrating part of writing is not being able to do it all the time. My day job and all those other day-to-day responsibilities always seem to get in the way.

14. Lightshare profile image41
    Lightshareposted 11 years ago

As a writer, my frustration is upon subject selection.

15. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

Lack of time, as a busy teacher, volunteer and mum I struggle with finding a peaceful corner, where 'I can open my mind and heart and take a free ride on the wings of imagination' and just write and write...without worry in the world, without time pressure and without deadline.....

16. CriticalMessage profile image67
    CriticalMessageposted 11 years ago

Never knowing for sure as to whether my writing is actually being read... That seems to torment me pretty good...

1. profile image0
      AaronHubb89posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I sort of lost my inspiration when I only had one person who took the time out of their day to read what I had been writing.

2. Ushnav profile image60
      Ushnavposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So very true and this happens for ALL the writers in the world. But, once you are on the radar, skilled and ready, no one can remove you- you make your own mark in it. In life ! smile

17. midget38 profile image87
    midget38posted 11 years ago

I agree with Steele Fields. Not getting read is the most frustrating thing about writing.

1. ladybug187 profile image61
      ladybug187posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It almost makes you feel like whats the point of writing if you cant reach anyone, because they dont even want to read it in the first place...

18. debugs profile image61
    debugsposted 11 years ago

Procrastination, until later, I realize I could have written the whole book instead of  just gathering ideas about it on my mind.

19. dwachira profile image77
    dwachiraposted 11 years ago

As online writer, i get frustrated when my internet connection is down and i can't do anything. I feel like am cut off from my readers and writing community.

20. Ushnav profile image60
    Ushnavposted 11 years ago

The occasional (sometimes frequent) inability to express what I need to -perfectly and properly- so that no meaning is lost in transferring my idea to the readers. That irritates and dampens my spirit sometimes but, I guess it's all part and parcel of the game known as 'life'.

21. CBartelmey profile image70
    CBartelmeyposted 11 years ago

I am fairly quick at writing my thoughts down and getting everything out.  However then comes the revision process, which for me is the most frustrating part.  I can have a rough draft in an hour, but then revising it all into its final form can take days, weeks.  It is frustrating because I really just want it to be done, but I am tremendously particular about how my writing flows and if it doesn’t have that, I will just keep revising until it does.  Often times I even remove myself for my writing for a couple of days and then come back to it, only again to find that I think it needs more revising.  It is a long process and I wish that I could find a way to shorten it, but I guess that is just the way that I write?

22. profile image0
    SageBiasposted 11 years ago

I get frustrated by endless possibilities. I have a story I want to tell, and I begin writing it, but then I can never settle on one idea. Is the main character a teacher? Why? What if he wasn't a teacher? What if it was female instead? What if it were a child? What if it wasn't even human? It could be told from the perspective of a butterfly. Sometimes this is simple, but other times I begin telling a story and I lament that there isn't enough time to observe all sides of this story, and try on every different size, so to speak.

23. EmirS profile image61
    EmirSposted 11 years ago

Self criticism; I will spend hours, days, writing a story, article or whatever and after reading it over will decide I hate it and delete it, while not letting anyone tell me that it is actually good. If I hate it, I don't let anyone tell me otherwise.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)