If you could, would you want to know the date of your death?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (20 posts)
  1. KevinC9998 profile image74
    KevinC9998posted 11 years ago

If you could, would you want to know the date of your death?

2. KristenN4Boys profile image60
    KristenN4Boysposted 11 years ago

No. I would obsess over it, especially if it happened to be within the next few years. (I'm only 39) I'd rather not know and just make the best of each day right now as if it's my last.

3. jbosh1972 profile image93
    jbosh1972posted 11 years ago

Heavens no.  It is likely that if it is preordaned that little could be done about changing it.  Life is supposed to be a learning experience and knowing the date of your final departure would hamper my living experience.

1. KevinC9998 profile image74
      KevinC9998posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with both you and KristenN4 Boys.  I think knowing that information would distract us from living!  Thank you both.  Kevin

4. Gerg profile image77
    Gergposted 11 years ago

There's a rather interesting website called Death Clock (http://www.deathclock.com/) where you enter your birthday, gender and body mass index (BMI) and it calculates your day of death.  Though it sounds ominous, its intent is to make you aware of every moment, and the impact of your outlook on your mortality.  At the moment, it thinks I'll live to be just shy of 98, which is rather comforting. 

I used to answer no to this question, but there's a part of me that would now be curious.  And of course, I'd want to know the reliability of the predicted date:  if a psychic were to say it was so, I'd treat it with a grain of salt.  I know of a friend whose former husband said he knew he was going to die at 33 and he did. 

Regardless of the answer, we do need to live in every sweet moment and always feel resolved that we are living the best manner possible, so that if does come, we can go in peaceful acceptance.  Great question!

G

5. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

NO.That is soooooo limiting. It would defeat the purpose of living and leaving our mark in the world. How about the people who do know more or less how much life they have left; I am sure they would like to not have known.  Would you?

6. Rebecca2904 profile image69
    Rebecca2904posted 11 years ago

I think knowing when they are going to die is one of the worst things that could happen to a person. Not only would you obsess over it and likely be able to get no or very little joy out of the life you do have left to live, but it would also change your life and the way you live it - and I doubt very much that it would be for the better.

1. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've had relatives who knew they had terminal cancer and as hard as they tried it was just too hard for them; they got worse in no time. That's the sad truth.

7. libby1970 profile image68
    libby1970posted 11 years ago

NO. I wouldn't want to know that. It would cause me to be so nervous. I couldn't handle knowing the exact time of my death. I'd go crazy. I'd rather live each day to the best of my ability and wait for it to come on its own without me knowing even a hint. Now if I had someway of changing the outcome, such as living, I'd want to know so I could go to the doctor in time or whatever.

8. Icematikx profile image56
    Icematikxposted 11 years ago

No. I prefer to know without and live life to the fullest.

9. MickeySr profile image79
    MickeySrposted 11 years ago

Maybe not the exact day, or moment, but if I could know about when, like in my early 60's or my mid 70s, etc, I would like know.

10. keepmovingforward profile image61
    keepmovingforwardposted 11 years ago

No, I don't want to know the date of may death because I LOVE SURPRISE. If we can able to know our dates it seems we can't enjoy life to the fullest because we are limit by our times and worries everyday. We are pressure to do right always like robots with precise specialization of work that don't allow us to feel bad and good. It's nice to live a life without limitations and expectations what may gonna happen someday. Just stay cool and live well without tomorrow.

11. profile image0
    danielabramposted 11 years ago

I would love to know the date of my death. If it were soon, I'd try to do as much as possible with the people I love. If it were in many years, I would pace myself and take care of my habits for the long-term.

12. mismazda profile image62
    mismazdaposted 11 years ago

No....because I would worry about what I would do to pass time until that day came.

13. Rosana Modugno profile image74
    Rosana Modugnoposted 11 years ago

At first I was going to say yes because I could plan for it, get my funeral together, add more to my life insurance policy and give my things away, write that book quicker, find my ex and clock him over the head with a large blunt object or rob a bank and travel the world, see places I have never seen but then it hit me; 

Why if I find out I'm going to die within the hour? 

Therefore my answer is no.

14. rainnie526 profile image60
    rainnie526posted 11 years ago

I don't know…If I know it, I will seize the day and do whatever I want to do in the rest of my life. However, on the other hand, I will become fairly upset because I m going to die.

15. CJWood71 profile image84
    CJWood71posted 11 years ago

I would never want to know the day of my passing.  I think that it would cause me to become pre-occupied with the thought and I would no longer be living my life.  I would rather leave that information a mystery.  I am not afraid of death, but I do not want to see it coming.

16. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

Knowing the end would spoil my zest for life, it is better to live every day in a false security that it never ends. We have those big plans in front of us, we thrive to achieve, to have and to make more and more...it we would know the end, many of us would give up with: "What's the point.."

17. freespiritdhippie profile image59
    freespiritdhippieposted 11 years ago

You know what? I honestly think it would depend on when I was set to die.

If the date of my death was fast approaching and just around the corner I would definitely want to know. I think it would inspire me to do the things I've been waiting to accomplish. I think it would enhance your life because you would finally have to do all those things you have been putting off... you know, because you won't be around that much longer.

If I were to learn that I am going to die at the ripe old age of 120, I might put off some of those dreams and ambitions. It would be easy to adopt the mindset that you still have 100 years of life to accomplish these things, and then before you know it time has passed you by.

So maybe. If it was around the corner I would definitely want to know, but if I had years and years and years I might not want that knowledge.

18. Mahmo profile image59
    Mahmoposted 11 years ago

Kevin, it is not difficult to guess the wisdom of our God when He kept it hidden .If it is disclosed to all people no progress would have taken place in the world, and all people will be occupied or busy or torn apart with new types of problems for long time  before their real timing of occurrence, such as fights over things like inheritances, ruling of a country, jobs or somethings like sadness in families or worries of losing relatives or an approaching date of death of dear friends.How people are going to practice their daily or usual activities in normal manner under such environment which is unhealthy,  full of pressure and unrest ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)