Do you write better than you speak or speak better than you write?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. rutley profile image64
    rutleyposted 11 years ago

Do you write better than you speak or speak better than you write?

Typo's and run on sentences or Foot in mouth syndrome?

2. GiblinGirl profile image72
    GiblinGirlposted 11 years ago

I definitely think I write better than I speak.  It's not that I put my foot in my mouth, but often times I speak in a series of half sentences.  I'll start saying something and then not really finish the thought before I start saying something else - I can be a bit all over the place I guess.

3. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

I laughed when I read GiblinGirl's comment...I have often said, "I only open my mouth long enough to change feet"!  I would definitely say I write better than I speak.   I have a tendency to say what I think when I think it, and that doesn't always mean things come out right.  I've often been known to get my "tords wisted"...when writing, I take my time, do a draft, go over it and make corrections, and so on...so definitely I write better.

4. Anju Arya profile image61
    Anju Aryaposted 11 years ago

I write and speak both the best but in Hindi (my mother tongue). But in English I write some better but feel problem in speaking.

5. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Most definitely write better than I speak.  After all, when speaking, we don't often hesitate for very long between words or sentences....there is no backspace, delete button and no "rough draft."   Once it's said, it's done.   Quite often, this can be a not so pretty situation...!

6. slackermom profile image65
    slackermomposted 11 years ago

I write better than I speak. Mainly because I can write about things I won't talk about. I am painfully shy and I don't speak much anyway.

As a matter of fact, if you'd have asked this question of me in person, I probably would have just shrugged and quietly said I don't know.

7. hawaiianodysseus profile image70
    hawaiianodysseusposted 11 years ago

Hi, Rutley!

In thinking about how best to respond to this question, I decided to compare my writing and speaking not in strict, exact terms regarding grammar, diction, complete sentences versus phrases, proper use of tenses, etc., but rather in terms of the spirit of communication as a means of connecting with others.

My answer, then, would be that my writing is very similar to my manner of speaking. For one thing, both the writing and the speaking come from the same brain. I think, therefore I speak. I think, therefore I write. I think, therefore I am.

When I first began to write creatively or, at least, purposefully, I made a conscious effort to be perfectionistic. Now, I just ramble in my writing just as I do with my speaking. Allowing a body of water to flow naturally is better than making like a beaver and damming the aquatic resource.

There's also a zen quality in my writing that links to my speaking. When I write, I pretend that you or so-and-so are sitting at a table in a coffee shop or on the steps of my front porch. I let myself be one with that image and find that it enables me to simply flow with my (written) conversation. That's why I never use outlines in my writing...I simply talk to (the collective) YOU.

Thanks for asking a question that's both simple and profound. See you 'round the bend, rutley!

8. profile image0
    rmcleveposted 11 years ago

I think that on a website for writers, it's pretty obvious that we'll mostly say that we write better!

Writing is my preferred method of communication. I'm able to think much more clearly when I have a second or two to write things down.

Generally, I put my foot in my mouth when I speak. Sometimes I can be brilliantly eloquent, but that mostly happens when I'm writing.

9. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I try very hard to speak well, although I am sure I am not always successful.  I would say I write better than I speak.

10. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Write better than I speak. Because I think about what I write and can delete. Once the words are out of my mouth, they cannot be taken back.

11. bac2basics profile image84
    bac2basicsposted 11 years ago

Hi Rutley. Definitely write better than I speak. Mind you after saying that, in both I do tend to ramble and go off on a thread...sometimes not being able to remember where I started or where I was meant to be going before the conversation puts people to sleep..at least with writing you can adjust and get back on track..I love the back space key, and the spell checker too...only problem being the latter doesn´t know any Yorkshire,,bit of a sod is that as I write a lot about the place..oh well..rambling on now, can hear the yawns...so yep, I write better than I speak , well hopefully anyway smile

12. Pamela99 profile image89
    Pamela99posted 11 years ago

I have no doubt I write better than I speak. It is so easy to get laughing while talking to someone and I'm sure I use the occasionally slang term, or maybe a run-on sentence. Of course, it depends who I am talking to because if it is a business conversation I am much more aware of my words.

13. melbelle profile image59
    melbelleposted 11 years ago

I definitely write better than I speak.  Sometimes I get talking and just can't come up with the right words to express myself.  But it is totally different when I write.  I guess because I take more time when writing.  And you can always go back and edit what you write. lol.

14. Rosana Modugno profile image72
    Rosana Modugnoposted 11 years ago

If by "better" you mean more eloquently, than I most certainly write better because I curse like a sailor when speaking.

15. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

Writing is something I have always enjoyed to do, I have always written letters to my family members and friends and many of them keep them over the years, now I email and sms as well, writing helps me to connect with people in deeper level, I believe it is not important what form of correspondence you choose, what is important is that you keep in touch and keep connecting....

16. me-as-a-writer profile image58
    me-as-a-writerposted 11 years ago

I can say that I can write better than speaking coz while writing, I can have some time to elaborate it, to think of the most appropriate words, thus making it more impressive and full of life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)