How may hubbers out there engage in "prewriting"?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)
  1. sherrituck profile image79
    sherrituckposted 11 years ago

How may hubbers out there engage in "prewriting"?

Most of the time when I write, I sit down at the computer and start composing. I often edit as I go along.  I am curious to know the number of people that "prewrite" or outline the hub before going through the writing process.

2. Rfordin profile image79
    Rfordinposted 11 years ago

I usually work like this:

Something sparks my interest.
    I think "Oh, I could write a hub about _______".
    Then I "prewrite" it in my head, jotting key things along the way.
    I "start a new hub" with the article and open a word doc.
    TYPE away...

I find that using a word doc. first makes me see the different "capsules" naturally but it also takes much more time. After I've written, edited, re-written, and re-edited the info for the hub I then copy and paste it into the orginal hub.
    I still must preview it a thousand times to read and reread it again.

Sometimes as I write the ideas come faster then the fingers can type. So inevitably I recognize that I left things out that I orgianlly meant to add. I find that if if I read, write, re-read, rewrite, edit etc. I can pick up on things I "wanted" to mention but didn't and all the other little nasty things that need fixing.

Overall YES I do spend tons of time prewriting.

1. sherrituck profile image79
      sherrituckposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My brain has a tendency to work faster than my fingers.  When I edit my work, I often read the words out loud so that I can catch any missed words.  Sometimes my eyes will think they see words that aren't really there.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I just do whatever research is needed (for informative hubs), and by the time I'm through with that, it's formed in my head fairly well and I start writing. Sometimes I do it in a Word doc, but usually I just write it in the hub template. That's probably because for many years I had tight deadlines with no time available to draft an outline or anything like that.

4. cam8510 profile image91
    cam8510posted 11 years ago

I have only been writing on hubpages for four months.  I have written 53 hubs.   This is a good question for me to consider.  Of course most of my ideas come whenever they come, but when I sit down to work on it, I am usually right there on HubPages "Start a New Hub".  A couple of times that was the best thing for that particular topic, but right now I am working on a fiction series.  Writing right into the hub is not the best.  I need to outline where I am going.  So, to answer your question.  I do almost no prewriting now, but see the need to begin doing more.  Good question.  Thanks

5. Jenn-Anne profile image74
    Jenn-Anneposted 11 years ago

I start by creating an article in word. I might write the article in one sitting but I'll leave it in word for a day or two, editing as needed. Then I'll start a hub and transfer the info out of the word doc into the hub. Then I'll let it sit there for another day or so until I'm happy with the format. Then I publish. Sounds like a long process but the actual time spent writing isn't that long.

6. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

It really all depends on what I am writing, but most of the time I take notes, in fact I have about 10 notepads scattered around my desk, and it takes me ages figuring out which one I have scribbled my notes in! Seriously though yes I do take notes, especially if the hub is quite complicated and some of the words just need to be checked for spelling as not all the words are covered in the spell check.

7. pmun profile image56
    pmunposted 11 years ago

When i first started, i didnt thought much but it was more to personal sharing.
    Then i started to look around other hubbers and checking my grammar and spelling through word docs.
    Then tried to keep it to max 5 pharagraph/5 key points, and im keeping that until now.

8. missa72542 profile image89
    missa72542posted 11 years ago

I normally open Microsoft Word and set out an outline before writing. If you take a look at some of my hubs you'll see that I separate some paragraphs with bold titles. In Word I would normally do that and in parenthasis I would type out quick notes about what I wanted to say. For example, on my fun cat facts hub:

When a cat brings you a mouse it means he likes you!
    (Mention why its a compliment, and ways to avoid it/make your cat leave it at the trash can)

^^ stuff kinda like that. And then I go back in later and type out in detail what I want to say.

After that, when i'm putting it the text capsules... I'll take one more look to see if there is anything I would like to add.

9. Richard Perazzo profile image60
    Richard Perazzoposted 11 years ago

I mostly "prewrite" in my head before doing an actual hub. I'll give myself some sort of vague outline in my head before I start writing, just to make sure I touch on the things the hub is actually about.

10. profile image56
    gautams1posted 11 years ago

I plan on what I write. I come up with the heading and then the sub topics. This helps me get my article organized and then I start writing.

11. bbanks27 profile image86
    bbanks27posted 6 years ago

I always write a rough draft and edit on paper first. It can help approve your quality of writing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)