What Would Happen if you didn't Approve a comment?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (18 posts)
  1. CCahill profile image81
    CCahillposted 11 years ago

What Would Happen if you didn't Approve a comment?

Under new comments there is 2 buttons... APPROVE and SPAM

But what happens if you press neither? If nothing, then is the approve button really neccasary? or should it just be a default until you hit Spam?

2. TheHoleStory profile image71
    TheHoleStoryposted 11 years ago

This is a comment where the hub pages considers it to be possibly spam. Sometimes the comment isn't spam at all. If you like the comment then hit approve. If you dislike the comment for some reason hit the spam button, and more options will appear where you can then select to deny it. If you don't make any selections then the person who went to the trouble to make the comment will always have a message on their activity that this comment hasn't been approved yet. If it's a hateful comment then definitely deny it. It's totally your choice & have fun.

3. EuroCafeAuLait profile image80
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 11 years ago

I think it goes into "comment limbo" which is in a place between comment heaven (like "best answer") and comment hell - which is rated to a place where it doesn't even show up anymore.  If you agree that you are a cool writer, etc., just approve it and let the cycle of life continue.  Sunrise, Sunset, Shalom (in the spirit of Rosh Hashana).  Amen!

4. SidKemp profile image84
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

Some comments give you the Approve or Spam options; others give Approve or Deny.

No comment appears until and unless you approve it. If you leave it unmoderated, I don't know if it eventually goes away. If you deny it, you can delete it or mark it spam. If you mark it spam, it goes away.

Hope this helps!

1. Becky Katz profile image79
      Becky Katzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Since I have seen comments answered a year later, I believe it just stays there until you do something with it.

5. molometer profile image79
    molometerposted 11 years ago

There is an option to set your comments to all approved. You can always delete comments later if you find them inappropriate or distasteful. These are rare in my experience.
    I like to personally approve all the comments on my hubs, as I like to read them and reply to the person that commented.

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 11 years ago

If you press neither, then the comment will remain unmoderated until you do something.  They don't disappear unless you delete them.

If you don't want to have to approve comments, then you should change your global comment setting appropriately.  I approve everything to keep spam and unrelated comments off my Hubs.

7. stayingalivemoma profile image83
    stayingalivemomaposted 11 years ago

My guess is that if you have your comment settings not to display unless approved, then the comment would never be shown. If you hit spam, then you will block further comments from that person's ip address. So, you can approve the comment, do nothing and it will never be shown, or hit spam and never be bothered again (hopefully).
    Of course, none of that matters if you have your settings set to automatically show comments!

8. BlissfulWriter profile image72
    BlissfulWriterposted 11 years ago

Approve button is necessary.  For a comment to show, the click of that button is required in order for comment to be published (for those whose global setting is set to moderate comments).   An inaction of clicking means that you do not approve and the comment will not show on your hub.  Although you as author may see the un-approved comment (as long as you are logged in).  Others will not see the unapproved comment.

9. drspaniel profile image83
    drspanielposted 11 years ago

It wouldn't show up in your article. That pretty much sums it up...

10. mio cid profile image59
    mio cidposted 11 years ago

I only consider not approving a comment if it is gratuitously offensive and or insulting without making any point or having any substance.But i have come across certain elements such as the frog guy and other extreme right wingers who usually don't approve comments they disagree with.

11. peachpower profile image61
    peachpowerposted 11 years ago

I am super new here, and I'm glad you asked. I've been wondering myself. All I can add to your question is that I've gone to bed without approving comments, gotten up, and there they were. I would imagine that this would go on indefinitely- until you either approve it or deny it. Also, from what I've gathered, they do disappear in their entirety when the Hub is deleted by you. smile

12. cyoung35 profile image80
    cyoung35posted 11 years ago

I think since Hubpages is a high authority site that if the comments were automatically approved until you marked them as spam then spammers would get the benefit of links for a day or more until it was marked as spam. This would get around and the spammers would then take full advantage of Hubpages and you would have spammy comments all over the site.

13. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

You can set up your hubs where the comments only appear when you approve them.  In that case, not approving them means they won't show up on your hub. 

Otherwise the default is that they will appear unless you deny them.  In this case, even though they are in limbo, they will appear on your hub.

I like the fact that there is an approve feature even though I have it set up that comments appear even if I don't approve them.  Like Molometer said, this way, I have a reminder that I haven't responded to the commenter.  When I respond, then I approve the comment.

14. xstatic profile image61
    xstaticposted 11 years ago

I think that the comment will not show if it is not approved. Not sure about that but it would seem logical.

15. JakeFrost profile image61
    JakeFrostposted 11 years ago

Dependant on your options, once a user comments it will be displayed on the hub. If you deny it, it will stay there for you to look a but it will not appear to the public. You can approve the denied comment whenever you want.

If you click on deny, it will show you some more options. Delete and Spam, both will delete the comment however the latter will flag the user and they will be reported for moderation.

Hope this helps.

~ Jake

16. Buster Bucks profile image92
    Buster Bucksposted 11 years ago

When I have an unapproved comment, there are two buttons: one says "Approve" and the other "Deny." If I click "Deny" then two additional buttons appear. The first is labeled "Spam" and the other is "Delete Forever."

If the comment was Spam, click "Spam" -- the Hubpages filters will then try to block other comments from that Web address.

If the comment is inappropriate or one you don't want on your hub, then you click "Delete Forever." The comment will disappear in about 24 hours or less.

I hope this helps!
    Buster

17. profile image54
    gautams1posted 11 years ago

The comment would stay in a staging que waiting to be released to the public or deleted.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)