Why do so many people believe that the word of their priests and/or ministers ar

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Why do so many people believe that the word of their priests and/or ministers are

akin to a divine revelation?   So many people believe that priests and/or ministers can do no wrong.   They believe that these people are God Almighty in whatever they state.   What these priests and ministers say, such people automatically follow them with any independent thought!

2. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

Easy question to answer.  It is a result of years of brainwashing and indoctrination into their respective cults to which they belong.   This is one of the worst forms of child abuse and readily accepted by our society.  Each cult teaches that it is a sin to question their beliefs, and people never outgrow that fear of their vengeful god punishing them for practicing logical intelligent rational thinking.  Sad commentary of the human race as a whole.

1. Chris Neal profile image78
      Chris Nealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same question for you as for Nightwork4!

2. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

you're brainwashed obviously Chris Neal. i can prove it. you need others to prove to you that what they say is true instead of just accepting that you don't know every christian or religious person out there.

3. Chris Neal profile image78

Um, couldn't the same be said for you, then? I mean, if you're so convinced you can prove that I'm brainwashed even though you've never met me?

Yeah.

4. d.william profile image74
      d.williamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

C.N.: by virtue of being born into any religion that teach their young from birth that what they believe is based on fact and reality is brainwashing indoctrination at its worst.  Check out this video and learn.
      http://youtu.be/gHbYJfwFgOU

5. Chris Neal profile image78

And which religion, exactly or even just in general, was I born into?

6. d.william profile image74

CN: it matters not what religion u were born into.  All cults are the same, & thrive on the same premise that theirs is the true cult.  They all practice brainwashing of their children.  no exceptions.  See my hub: cults in America for more info

7. Chris Neal profile image78

What matters is that you know what you're talking about. I was not born into any religion. Want to run your little theories on my life?

8. d.william profile image74

CN. no need to waste any theory on u. with ur attitude u r either the product of religious upbringing,  radical right wing political propaganda, or a self agnized (aggrandized) know-it-all. me? just a logical conclusion thinker

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

As the wife of a Lutheran pastor, I have not found that to be the case.  In the common congregation, criticism of the pastor and family abound; what they say, what they wear, why they drive a newer car.

I cannot believe the amount of criticism and distain that is so freely given.  It is amazing to me how Christian people can behave in the ways I have seen at the congregation level.

So in my world I have not seen what you have stated.

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your comment!

4. ithabise profile image71
    ithabiseposted 11 years ago

"Akin to divine revelation"--I think that's hyperbole. But if the faithful believe the words of GOD spoken through the human instrument, then God is honored. Just because we believe God's words and respect the minister doesn't mean there is no accountability of his or her life to the people they lead. Yet we honor God when we honor the leadership he has placed over us; and should that leadership fail in some egregious way, then there is no reason not for strong discipline or expulsion. This argument is akin to the "I don't go to church because of hypocrites" argument. Hypocrites don't matter, and neither does my supposed brainwashing by the preacher. God--and one's God--and his revelation and honor are what matter.

5. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

it's brainwashing and nothing more. i know a couple of priests and ministers and they are far from faultless. they are alright, don't get me wrong but not even they think that what ever they say is right. religion has made people actually believe that to be a leader, is to know all.

1. Chris Neal profile image78

No Christian group I've ever been part of thinks that way. Maybe the very young or the very naive, but not the body as a whole. What groups do you personally know that are like that?

2. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

my mom, her friends and lots of catholics i know. why the heck do you think i said it in the first place bud?

6. Chris Neal profile image78
    Chris Nealposted 11 years ago

When I attended church, I found that to almost never be the case. (In fact, I've as yet to ever meet anybody, with one possible exception, who takes the word of any preacher as gospel itself. I don't know about Catholics.) Of course people want to believe that pastors and priests are "better" than they are, that's a human trait. Most people, no matter how hard or cynical they appear to be, do want to believe that there is somebody out there who is 'good' even if they've never  met them. But people who will blindly follow some religious leader no matter what are few and far between, at least in any Christian gathering I've ever been party to.

7. profile image0
    Rad Manposted 11 years ago

Unfortunately children have been abused by the Catholic church because most thought priests unable to do wrong. How many stories have there been about the child going home and telling his parents what the priest did and the parent slaps the kid for lying? I still have direct relatives that allow there children to help in the mass. This gives the wrong priest opportunity. They let this happen because they think it couldn't happen to their child and this particular priest would never do anything wrong. Why put your kids at risk?

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Rad Man!   Many parents, particularly in the Roman Catholic Church, believe that nuns and priests are God on Earth.   They believe that nuns and priests DO NO WRONG and ARE NOT GUILTY OF ABUSE.

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To make matters worse Father Benedict Groeschel recently stated priests should not be convicted for the first offence and usually it's the child tempting the priest. He also said "If you go back 10 or 15 years ago with different sexual difficulties,

3. Chris Neal profile image78

It's a pretty sad fact that the current pope was directly involved in what could be termed the cover-up.  John Paul II thought the church should handle it internally, which effectively meant that nobody handled it. It is not what Jesus would have dun

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)