When do you think the economy will return to normal?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (40 posts)
  1. glass etching profile image60
    glass etchingposted 14 years ago

I know it takes time for the economy to return and you never know how long it takes to recover, but this is just kinda a poll to see what everyone thinks. 

Even though almost none of use are experts and the real experts can only guess;  When do you guess the economy will recover?

I thought this would just be interesting to see what everyone thinks.  Leave a quick post (or a long one if you desire)....

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
      SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't want it to return to normal! if normal is the way it used to be.

We need BIG change in our economy...common sense and ethical reasoning and care for others is greatly needed. The lack thereof is the core problem in all situations. We need a "Golden Rule" economy.

We need a sound monetary system, where others do not artificially control inflation and can print money whenever they want to suit their own purposes at the expense of the majority of the population.

2. profile image0
      annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it will ever pick up.  I think that the middle class will become dirt poor and all the same stuff will all start over again.  I don't think the economy has ever been good.  I guess it depends on what you think is good, but it has never been good enough.  Only for the ones who have been rich all of their lives.  I think the ones who have lots of money are the ones who think that the economy is picking up. 

I have educated people in my family who struggle with low paying jobs.  I think unless you have a product that everyone needs and will always buy, then you will probably be somewhat struggling too.  If you have a product that everyone wants to buy and you have it manufactured, then you would have to be rich in the first place to even get to that point.

This economy stuff is a joke.  I hope the economy doesn't return to 'normal' or it will still be a joke.

3. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just wanted to share this with you. Many (many) years ago I worked for an engineering firm. They designed and marketed computer equipment to/for the U.S. military. Every morning started with a lively discussion of the day's planned events,  some observations about the previous days efforts and some techie jokes.

One of the engineers asked me if I knew the definition of expert. I told him what I though it was and he corrected me with the following.

Expert: Three lucky guesses
      Expert: Ex as in "has-been"; "spurt" as in drip.

I laughed my arse off.

4. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it will take a lot longer if we keep messing with it.

2. Jellyrug profile image61
    Jellyrugposted 14 years ago

It has already recovered somewhat.

See a bit of a pullback in September and October it will grow further, make sure you don't miss the bus.

Jobs will follow July next year.

3. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

When consumers and businesses turn off CNN and stop hearing about how bad things are and get over their fear and start spending again things will pick up.

From a financial standpoint all the resources for recovery are in place and waiting. Honestly the money never went anywhere, it's still there in the economy its just not being circulated and spent. Much as the depression of the early 30's was fueled by fear so has this one. What I want to know is why with the amount of money Obama put into the stimulus, he simply didn't give the 300 million Americans, a million dollars a piece. That would have left another 400 million to prop up banks. Instead money was given to the auto and banking industry , two institutions who have proven time again that they are incapable of wise financial management and oversight. Giving the money to the citizens would have allowed people to clear out doubt, buy new homes and cars and boosted spending tremendously.We are still going to pay for it though. I never got a dime from the government over the last 5 years. Yet I will have to pay off the debt same as you.

It seems to me that this government really had no desire to help the common working man recover or be free of debt. There's no money in it for them, no profit. Look how much banks are prospering just from all the overdraft fees.

1. atomswifey profile image56
      atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh, some common ground for us Scott smile
      I completely agree with this. Great post on it all.

4. kephrira profile image59
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

I think it's turning back to growth in most places already, but soon we are going to be having another problem, one that was beginning to show just before the credit crunch. As formerly very poor countries continue to grow very quickly , especially China and India but others too, there will be more and more pressure on the prices of basic commodities. Pretty soon after the recession has ended we will go back to high price inflation, initially on food and oil but then extending to other things. This will mean that even with an economy in growth many people will feel like they are getting poorer rather than richer.

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

If by normal you mean crazed out borrowing and lending, I would say never smile

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

About six months. Misha the bankers and wall street types are already working on designing new unregulated ways to borrow and lend to the American consumer. Guarantee it.

7. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Nelle - you are wrong. We are nowhere near bottom yet and we will not be returning to "normal," any time soon.

1. LiamBean profile image80

I understand there's going to be another housing bust. This caused by all the formerly employed people who can no longer pay their mortgages. These being the people who are the latest victims of this down-turn. We have a long way to go yet.

That this happened again galls the hell out of me. There are a lot of guilty people involved too. None of whom seem to be suffering as much as those of us who had little or nothing to do with it*.

I freely admit that this latest downturn caught me completely by surprise. I thought there enough regulations in place to prevent another fiasco like this. Apparently not!

All I can gather from this is that there is no limit to greed or sociopathic attitudes when it comes to making money.

* I refuse to use credit and as a consequence have nothing to do directly with real-estate. The last economic downturn about a decade ago convinced me to "get off that bus."

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Maybe that's why I'm so depressed today.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear that. But let's face it - the last 15 years was pretty messed up and we need a change. For once I agree with SJ wink

9. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

I agree with Mark, to many negitives are still to hit the economy, pending tax legislation particularly Cap in Trade will skyrocket pricing and continuing unemployment and foreclosure impacts are not even close to peaking.

10. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Liam - after the commercial property bust that one will come. The 5 biggest US banks are currently teh biggest property owners in that country. The same in Spain - 4 banks own more property that anyone else.

If anybody thinks all this bailout n=money is going anywhere other than to support that - they are sadly mistaken.

If all that property was on the market and market forces set the price - every American would be able to afford their own home.

And nobody wants that lol

I was lucky enough to have seen this coming and got out of US property in 2004, and UK in 2006. We are nowhere near done ......

I often agree with you Mark, but this is the one time I wish I couldn't.

I do believe that "If all that property was on the market and market forces set the price - every American would be able to afford their own home." would likely be the very best thing for jump-starting and keeping this economy going.

I also received, via email, an unlikely proposal, a joke really, that would have had the U.S. government give every fifty plus year old in the country (U.S. of A.) one million dollars with the provision that they 1) buy a house and 2) buy a car. Anything left of the million to be spent as the recipient desired. As silly as that sounded it would have cost less than the current efforts and actually worked in restarting the economy.

2. Jellyrug profile image61
      Jellyrugposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mark,

In high risk US areas, property prices are back to where they were when Alan Greenspan changed into 2nd gear. Foreclosures are slowly but surely being picked up.

We still have a number of smaller banks failing, but the big boys are all back in the black. Some paying their TARP back faster than others. Do you perhaps know of anything they are hiding in their balance sheets?

The equity markets have lost a little momentum, but still growing strong.

There is a little panic buying of gold now and then, but the sellers make their profits cleverly, so no sustainable trend showing a Dollar collapse at this time.

Our fearless leader (Obama) is professing a recovery.

Do you have any factual data, to substantiate your gloom and doom prediction, or is it just gut feel?

11. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

can someone define normal?

the same people that got us in trouble are the very same people who are doing it again, with the housing market~

1. profile image0
      annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can say that this is my definition of normal....worthless.

2. LiamBean profile image80

F.U.B.A.R.?

*cough* Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition?

12. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I think after the November deadline the $8,000 credit to new home buyers, that the housing market will sink again.  Right now people (here in the cities) are stumbling over each other and multiple offers are very common right now on homes.  The ever so smart home seller & Realtors have been "smart" too, by increasing their home price by $8,000, if not more, but keeping it at the cap.

I have seen a price increase across the board at the grocery store over the last month.  Generally after Labor Day gas prices go down, they've either stayed the same or have increased.

School supplies & school clothing costs were unbelievable this year.

We are on a strict budget - as my husband was recently laid off.  I feel fortunate though, we follow the no credit card rule in our home, so we have no debt, except the mortgage & normal monthly utility bills & insurance (oh I forgot, the biggy, college tuition).

I don't see the economy turning any time soon.  I think we'll continue to see a rise in prices and people will continue to cut back on spending.

Gas prices have been really ticking me off. The consumer price index predicted a drop in gasoline prices, but they've risen anyway. Grrr.

I love that I have children and was so involved in their lives. They are grown now and in this economy I'm very glad I don't have that financial burden anymore. I don't envy you this time in your life, but I do wish you the very best. Please do not forget the possibility of scholarships or grants.

I think it's time for many of us to consider alternative means of generating cash. Many small businesses start under exactly these conditions.

I DO wish we didn't have such depressing news for each other, but I think it's equally important to take a pragmatic approach by expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

1. Jane@CM profile image61
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is sad, isn't it!

My daughter did not get any scholarships this year or grants.  When my husband was laid off she went to the financial aid office & they told her to come back after he'd been unemployed for 8 weeks.

Fortunately for us, she choose to do PSEO during her senior year in HS and the state pays for all kids who do PSEO. So she finished her freshman year. 

Really hoping she gets something next year. It has been said that females in the Engineering field get more scholarship money their junior & senior year.

We are starting to sell my husbands segmented wood turning pieces. smile  So its like a mini=-business.

I can't find an emoticon that looks like shock and surprise. Sheesh. I know they were being honest, but why not tell your baby that she stands a better chance if she shows up in rags or something. :^(

I'm not familiar with PSEO. Here in California if you keep your grades up while attending a community college, a state school is required to accept you. Of course, this does not cover funding. Here state schools can be quite hard to get in to. There are so many more potential students than positions that the GPA typically has to be quite high.

An engineering scholarship or grant would be just the thing, in my opinion, and despite more women going into the various engineering fields there is still a very real disparity here between the genders. My personal opinion is that it's an artificial disparity.

I hear you. I myself am worried about the future. As a recent newlywed I'm especially concerned; I have another person to think about.

13. tobacco lover profile image56
    tobacco loverposted 14 years ago

I saw this current madness coming a few years ago and tried to tell people it was going to happen.  I got called names for my troubles.  I've been called 'fruitcake', 'chronic worrier', and  'survivalist nutjob'.

I paid off the house and the car.  Got rid of the credit cards and saved up money.  I stocked up on long term food supplies.  Everyone said I was nuts.

Four months ago the factory I was working at for the last 17 years shut down.  This is a little town and there are few jobs to be had.  Two of my friends are going through bankruptcy proceedings now.  At least two other are thinking about it.  Nearly everyone is still drawing unemployment as few have found other jobs here.  AT least two have admitted to me that they are behind on their rent.  None have admitted to me that they are getting food stamps but I am aware that at least five of my former coworkers are.  It's rather hard to hide it when you see them pull out the EBT card at the store.

I owe nothing but the monthly utilities.  I can continue to pay these for the next two years without asking for assistance.  After that even I will have problems.  My food bills are very low since we only really have to buy bread and milk. 

People just won't see stuff they don't want to see.

Locally the facts are as follows:

1. The factory will never reopen.
    2. Drawing new jobs into a small town is difficult and takes a long time.
    3. No matter how much better the economy gets it isn't going to get much better here for a long time to come.

1. Jellyrug profile image61
      Jellyrugposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have same predicament, as I am closing a factory on September 30th, and letting just over 2,000 people go. That includes myself.

Time is of the essence though, when one door closes, another opens. I have my next job interview lined up for second week October, plus other options. Use every minute you have to the most.

Best said here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQuPfq4Xj0Q

14. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I am pessimistic about the economy turning around any time soon as well.  That's why I'm so ticked off that Obama and his administration are so pushy about the health care reform and forcing us to carry all that debt.  I was already annoyed about the non-stimulizing stimulus boondoggle that he quickly pushed through.  All it was was a big barrel of pork for the democrats. All that spending doesn't bring any permanent jobs.  It's just one big show.

15. Business Mistakes profile image61
    Business Mistakesposted 14 years ago

As far as the US is concerned, a few states are actually already in the upswing. That doesn't mean however that the overall economy is on the rise.  Far from it.  Just this morning, California hit its greatest unemployment ratio (12%) in its existence.  Florida is another state that is still in the dumpster.

How long will it last before good times come rolln' again?  Your guess is as good as mine.  Although, it's a safe bet it won't be anytime soon.

God Bless;

Lode

16. profile image0
    HubTubposted 14 years ago

When hell eternally freezes over.

We here in the United States are just a bunch of puppets riding an emotional roller-coaster on the backs of the crooked politicians that we were stupid enough to vote into office  Then we sit back and let them do whatever they damn well please.  Way to go Americans.  Hope everybody is happy with whomever they voted for.  We really got a good thing going now, don't we?

1. jiberish profile image80
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just wait till the Cap & Trade issue rears it's ugly head, that should be another fun ride.

17. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

What economy? All i see is green paper, white paper that stands for large amounts of green paper, and companies NOT becoming innovative with there approaches to get there product out so people spend on it. In the end, the economy is the same as the paper on the roll in the bathroom no matter how strong it is.

~thranax~

18. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Comma splices! LOL!!!

1. jiberish profile image80
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

19. radinfo1 profile image58
    radinfo1posted 14 years ago

As several people have stated it depends on how you define normal.

If you define normal as the decade of the 90s it will be a long time.  If you define normal as 2000-2009 then we are normal wink

The economy will take a while to work through the excesses that we have developed over the last 20 years.  With our current government activism (started during the Bush administration and taken to new levels by the current administration), it will take longer to resolve the issue.

Free markets tend to be painful but quick in recovery.  Government mandated and driven markets tend to be long drawn out painful affairs.  Look at history and world governments for evidence.

I have written a couple of articles on my blog about it.  Just do a Google search for Stock Market Ask The Wealth Squad.  I would post a link but don't want to get Hub spanked  smile

I think we are in for a long haul.  At least 18 more months and maybe up to 5 years before things hit the bottom of the cycle.

I pray everyday I am wrong though smile

20. Hunting Videos profile image56
    Hunting Videosposted 14 years ago

If history repeats itself, a year or two.
    There are so many variables such as new policies and spending in the US, trade embargos, new wars (especially in the Middle East), terorist attacks on the financial systems, spending habits of people, etc....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)