What colour should dog poop bins be?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Nettlemere profile image76
    Nettlemereposted 11 years ago

What colour should dog poop bins be?

Should they be red which stands out as a reminder to use them, green which blends in with the scenery better or some other colour?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7215436_f260.jpg

2. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 11 years ago

Do you have dog poop bins in the UK? If so I wish Canada would catch on to this as we don't have specified places to dispose of the dog poop. I called our local garbage dump and asked if they'd like it separated into a specific bag and they told me to toss it in with my regular household garbage. Surprised me a bit.

Nettlemereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We have them all over the UK, especially in towns which is handy and places where lots of people walk. The one pictured is quite a new one by the gate to a popular moorland walking area near Burnley.

2. hisandhers profile image60
      hisandhersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree! In Toronto we are allowed to throw our pet waste into our household green bins (compost bins) but they don't make these publicly available which I think would be great in dog parks where we have to throw it in regular garbage cans.

3. JayeWisdom profile image89
    JayeWisdomposted 11 years ago

You're going to laugh at my answer, but that's alright.  I am unable (because of limited mobility) to take my dog for longer walks, so I walk her on leash two or three times per day around my large (half acre) back yard.  When she was young, I bought one of those doggy "septic tanks" that is placed into the ground and uses water with enzymes to dissolve the dog waste, but it didn't work well enough to suit me.  That is when I began what has been my preferred method for several years.

When we go outdoors, I take along two regular-sized baby wipes. One is laid out flat on the ground after my dog poops, and the other is first used to wipe her bottom (yes, because she sits on the furniture and sleeps in my bed, and good hygiene is important for a companion pet that lives in the house), then the same side is used to cover and pick up the poop and place it on the flat baby wipe. I bring the four edges together to carry the "package" indoors. Then I FLUSH IT in the bathroom!  After all, that's what the sewer system is for....Works for me. No odor, no problem.

On the few occasions when we are somewhere else besides home and she gets the "urge to go", I have baby wipes in a plastic zip bag that I carry with me. The same method can be used anywhere there is a bathroom or public restroom. I think it beats throwing a bag of smelly dog feces in a garbage can or even a special "poop bin." 

I just realized I didn't even answer your actual question--what color a "poop bin" should be.  I think they are a good idea, especially in cities, but I've never seen one anywhere I've been in the U.S.  My thought would be any bright color that would come to be associated with its purpose so people would see and use it. Since red and yellow are used for traffic signs, perhaps a bright orange or bright purple? I don't think camouflage is a good idea. If the bin blends in with nature, it may not be visible when needed.

1. Just Ask Susan profile image90
      Just Ask Susanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jaye, What a great idea to flush it!  When I walk my dogs I carry those little poop scoop bags with me and throw them into my own garbage when I get home.

2. Nettlemere profile image76

That's a good idea Jaye and clearly works well for you.

3. JayeWisdom profile image89
      JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My "technique" of poop scooping and disposal is probably another manifestation of "overkill" from not getting my first pet until the age of 61!  However, it does work well for me. I also wash her feet off whenever we come back indoors!

4. Shaddie profile image76
    Shaddieposted 11 years ago

Most of the bins around here are green I think... It is an environmentally friendly color, so people use it a lot for things like this. I've also seen black, though it is a little off putting.

I like the idea of green, especially in countryside areas.

5. CZCZCZ profile image90
    CZCZCZposted 11 years ago

Be direct and to the point make them brown smile  Green I think would just invite people tossing in other recyclable materials.

6. DrMark1961 profile image97
    DrMark1961posted 11 years ago

Sorry Nettlemere when I saw this question I thought you were joking! I really do not think it matters what color they are, but I was interested in this concept. Do you know what they do with it? Is it just tossed into already overflowing landfills?If the waste is collected in that way it would make it simple to add to municipal vermicomposting sites.

7. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

I think bright orange is even better than red. I think by Fall, when the leaves turn,  most dog walkers will already know where the bins are situated.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)