How many articles would you write for Hubpages if there was no revenue involved?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Ann810 profile image50
    Ann810posted 11 years ago

How many articles would you write for Hubpages if there was no revenue involved?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

The same as I do now as I have not seen any money. I think my total revenue is about $10--been here two years.  So money is not even on the menu for me here.

Ann810posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried SEO Search engine optimization?

2. duffsmom profile image60
      duffsmomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To be embarrassingly honest, I don't even know what SEO is or how to try it.

3. angela_michelle profile image94
    angela_michelleposted 11 years ago

I've never written for the money, so I would probably write about the same.

I agree with you, the revenue and the writing go hand and hand; they compliment each other, smile.

2. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm with angela_michelle--I'd probably write about the same amount. I use the statistics and money as "incentive" to keep writing and I enjoy watching the numbers change, sometimes in mysterious ways, but I can't  make a living at it.

4. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

I'd write the same amount of hubs which is easy for me to say since I have never signed up for googleAdsence nor have I ever earned a cent from Hubpages. I write hubs as an outlet to become a bettter writer and connect with people either to help or exchange insight on subjects of similar interest.  My book on the other hand is something I did write along with my Examiner articles as a revenue stream.

Now that's writers-dedication. I totally like writing, I've always written something like diaries, journals, websites, and now articles. I just haven't written a book as of yet. It's nice to get a nice chunk of change for a hobby that I already do.

5. hockey8mn profile image67
    hockey8mnposted 11 years ago

The same amount that I have written.  Money isn't why I am here.  It is more of an online journal for me.  Even if no one ever read any of my articles, I would be fine with it.  I write when I have time, which lately, I haven't had the time.  I travel a lot and keep a journal when I do.  This is another place for me to keep my stories of travels, thoughts, ideas, and things that I am interested in for others that might want to read them.

Awesome, I agree with you writing can be a map of advise, I always give good verbal advise. Now I can give good advise in articles, it's a blessing.

6. Rosana Modugno profile image72
    Rosana Modugnoposted 11 years ago

I write in order to clear my own cache.  I've always said that.  It is my therapy, so as long as I'm writing, I remain somewhat "normal".  And that's a good thing for society LOL

7. Sapper profile image62
    Sapperposted 11 years ago

I write articles to promote my blogs, so any money I get from them is just an added bonus.
    As far as my blogs go, however, if I wasn't getting any money from them, I'd probably only have 2 instead of all 6. The main reason I have so many, and plan on adding a few more, is because by this time next year I want to be making a living off of them. If that wasn't possible, I'd probably only have time for the 2 I care about the most.

8. msLarayne profile image62
    msLarayneposted 11 years ago

I used to write the same type of articles on my website with my regular updates.  I only heard about hubpages about 2 months ago, so I would still be offering the same pieces for free.

9. Gary Holdaway profile image85
    Gary Holdawayposted 11 years ago

The revenue isn't that important to be fair, it's the community that make it worth all the while. I haven't yet experienced worthwhile revenue on hubpages, as I've not really tried hard enough, but I definitely know that it has played a part in my decision to become insanely active here.

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

She sure is cute. Doe she like her books? Have a great day Gary . . .

tim

10. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't mind earning money, but I would write thousands even without remuneration.

Discussing ideas, learning and sharing are far more important to me.

This is perhaps the most exciting time in the history of humanity. This is the time of Revelation -- the great battle between good and evil. This is the time of great freedoms colliding with great tyranny as America is dismantled by the Power Elite for their selfish purposes.

To be able to learn more is so richly rewarding. And to be able to contribute to the learning of others is also more important to me than money.

Sharing things like a film I saw last week all make life worthwhile...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEV5AFFcZ-s

Unlimited hope and promise for the future. And for spiritual freedom and growth.

11. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

I have written 11 without receiving a penny and I would gladly write more because all you wonderful people here are really motivating. BUT I haven't got a straight answer about what the deal is with me and that frustrates me tremendously so I'm thinking of ending this lovely affair soon.

12. profile image0
    HowIConqueredposted 11 years ago

Probably three or four a year tops. Basically whenever I remembered I had a Hubpages account and felt the need to write.

13. BobMonger profile image61
    BobMongerposted 11 years ago

I'm up to, what, 10 or so now?  I guess that answers that question!

14. Aisha Jilani profile image60
    Aisha Jilaniposted 11 years ago

Well i started writing on hub pages without knowing that it actually is a source to earn and now that i know, i still didn't opted for that. I write articles when i get time about the feelings i really want to express.  So for me it was never money purpose to be on hub pages.

15. Nia Foxx profile image60
    Nia Foxxposted 11 years ago

I'm pretty opinionated so I'd probably write 1-2 a week.  I like the idea of putting out articles on subject matters important to me.

16. spade007 profile image61
    spade007posted 11 years ago

I just started about a few blinks ago and won't be signing up for adsense or anything else. I need to write to clear some clutter and learn a bit in the process.

17. Goody5 profile image60
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

There is no money or revenue involved for me at all on the hub pages. I have a job, and I'm here entirely for FUN. There's a lot of folks who are merely here for FUN. Keep on hubbing  smile

18. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

I am giggling a little Ann. I have not read any replies yet, so an untainted comment. I am thinking of 'revenuers' and home stills. I lived in West Virginia during my Huckleberry Finn days around middle school age. My best bud, 'Pig-Pen' and I (Toothpick) were walking along and discovered a still in the hills once. I could stretch a 'yarn' making an afghan from that. hmmmmm . . .

Seems one day two young'uns were a walk'n along a trail heading nowhere tossing rocks there and here. The talk was  not of lasses, more so of adventures and which mountain to climb or crick to canoe next . . . and suddenly from behind a live oak tree stood a tall wonder of a man. He had a beard near three feet, a hat of crumpled deer skin, and a double OT 16 gauge starring down upon them . . .

So, to answer the question it depends on how much fun one is having . . .

tim

19. OGUNDARE OLUSEGUN profile image77
    OGUNDARE OLUSEGUNposted 4 years ago

I would have written the same as I have now...because of the love of writing, 7 years ago people say they were new here and still learning neither have they received any remuneration, the same applies to me now...
    Thanks for this.

20. digitalinfopreneur profile image47
    digitalinfopreneurposted 4 years ago

I would have written whatever I had known. It's not about money, it's the passion of helping people by giving them proper information which may be useful for them. Helping is more important when people recognize you and respect you as a brand and who has helped them in solving their problems. They may come back looking for you and your services at some point of time.

21. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

None, I only joined to make extra money.

22. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 4 years ago

Probably slightly fewer.The payments are encouraging, but I don’t really start an article thinking about what it might earn.

23. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 4 years ago

I'd still be writing the same amount. The occasional payout is just an added bonus. I virtually use HubPages as my portfolio for my freelance writing and a place to communicate and share with other friends and writers. For me its better than a blog or personal website that you have to spend a lot of time maintaining.

24. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 4 years ago

None. I'd be writing more on my own site, or other platforms. HubPages is a substantial part-time income for me, so I can't afford to write for fun.

Mind you, given the sad amount of traffic to some of my hubs, it seems that they were written just for the sake of it big_smile

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Funny, because when we write them it is like "This is a great hub. I bet it will be getting hundreds of page views every day in no time at all."
      So why do I have about 100 bottom feeders?

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. I think, 'this'll be the best one ever'. But they never, ever do better than one with a title that was given to me by HubPages during the Apprentice Program. I so balked at writing it, but in the end I did it... and it never goes under 1k views per day, however bad traffic is to the rest.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have one article, written in one afternoon, that has over a million and a half page views. I never expected that one was any different when I was writing it.
          Now why dont all of my articles perform like that???

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
            PaulGoodman67posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I suspect most of us live for the handful of hubs that go stellar. I look at it like the old days of 7 inch pop singles. They'd release hundreds of them every month. Most of them would be flops. A small minority would perform well enough to cover costs. But a few would become huge hits and cover the costs of all the flops, as well as make a profit.

Of course, once you've had a few hubs do well, you have an advantage in that you can try to "copy" the success of the best ones by writing in a similar vein. But unfortunately it almost never seems quite that simple! I still struggle to know why one hub is successful and another one isn't, I guess it's very complicated. big_smile

2. Millionaire Tips profile image91
          Millionaire Tipsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Huh, I am glad you got a good title. All of the titles I got during the Apprentice Program were clearly duds.

25. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

Probably close to zero, to be honest. I do a lot of research, as well as writing and regular editing/updating on HP. If I was writing purely for fun, as I sometimes do also, I would use a blogging site. This site gives me some regular revenue, which is useful, but it's hard work. Writing poetry or about personal views and experiences is more fun, but doesn't bring home the bacon, in my experience. The material that earns is generally fairly dry and practical. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy writing at HP, it's just challenging at times.

26. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

I'd probably still post occasional stuff when the mood struck me, just to scratch the "I gotta write somethin'" itch.

I started writing on this web site for the sheer hell of it, and ever since then I've treated it as a hobby with no financial expectations whatsoever.   

Don't get me wrong, it's nice when that beer & pizza money trickles in every once in a while, but I do not depend on the income for this site or hold any illusions that someday I'm gonna "strike it rich."

27. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago

I don't think I would have ever started here if there wasn't at least the possibility of making money. Certainly I wouldn't write here anymore if that incentive was removed. Not that I make a lot of money here, but it's enough to string me along.

I already had a blog that didn't make any money before I came here. I'd have just stuck with that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)