Is there anything you regret not having asked your mother?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. kallini2010 profile image80
    kallini2010posted 11 years ago

Is there anything you regret not having asked your mother?

We usually regret things we have NOT done, questions we have NOT asked... not the other way around...

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7286801_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Yes, Several things. But, at this point in my life I wouldn't want to hurt her. So they shall remain unanswered.

1. loveofnight profile image76
      loveofnightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I so know what you mean....

3. watergeek profile image95
    watergeekposted 11 years ago

What a sweet photo! I came here just for that. wink Late in life, not long before she died, I asked my mother what she had wanted to do with her life when she was young. She told me the only thing she'd ever wanted was to be a famous singer.
    My heart sank, because I'd had no idea, and she could have been one under different circumstances.

I sooo wished that I had asked that question when I was younger. And probably many others like it. Our family broke up when I was 14 and, having gone to live with my father, this pointed out how little I really knew her.

kallini2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

We really don't know people even the ones who are closest to us.  I now question how well I knew my ex, how I could live with him all these years and why.

4. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

Strange as it might seem sweet Kallini, some mothers are useless when it comes to raising children. One fo those was my distant, troubled mother. There was nothing I could have asked her for she was not in a position to give any replies; not even about female things. She was the example I was determined not to follow. I do, however, regret not having given her more love and understanding when I was younger. But then agian, it's the lioness who should guide and protect the cub, not the other way around. Thank you for helping me think of my mother again (I do think of her every day) but in a different light.

I understand that it is very painful for you to come to terms with even thinking about your mother, but unfortunately we don't all have the best mothers.  We don't choose our parents, but the very least that we all get is the gift of life.

5. Violet Flame profile image66
    Violet Flameposted 11 years ago

When I was quite little, maybe about 3, I was bullied by two older girls in the village. I distinctly remembered wearing a pretty necklace made of colourful plastic beads, the only pretty thing I was ever given and the only time I remembered feeling happy and pretty. The two girls saw me in the ally way and for no reason at all just tore it forcefully off my neck and it flew into numerous pieces all around me. They laughed loudly at me and walked away. I felt extremely hurt. I went home to my mother and told her, expecting justice would be done by my protector. But she just waved me away, too busy to be trifled by it and mumbling something like "it's ok". Hence I never learned to stand up for myself in life and would act like a dumb mute if someone ever abuse me verbally. I waited many years and one day I finally asked her why she did not fight for me that day. To my great astonishment, she said the exactly same thing. " Just get over it, you shouldn't pay them any attention," said she. I told her I felt injured by her inaction more than those bully's action, but she simply waved it away, again. I don't know why I feel so affected by this little incident but every time someone hurt me, I would remember that defenceless 3-year-old and feel powerless to protect myself. Perhaps I am better at standing up for myself now that I am older, but it didn't come easily.

1. watergeek profile image95
      watergeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'LL defend you! Three years old is way too young to be treated like that.  Little kids are all about emotion. When she brushed off your feelings, it's as though YOU were not important, but you were/are. Wonder how she was treated when she was young?

2. Violet Flame profile image66
      Violet Flameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank You watergeek! You are very sweet! I don't know how she was treated but I think she had to learn to  shoulder life's responsibility when she was still very young. Her life is all about self sacrifice instead of gratification.

3. Denise Handlon profile image85
      Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll second watergeek's comments!  What she did (TWICE) was not validate you.  This is very significant and emotionally hurtful.  You are important and valued!

4. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dearest Violet, while I understand your sentiments, your mother was lost in more severe to her things like getting the food on the table or recovering from insults she had been receivng, perhaps
      from your father.To her the children's act was trivial

5. kallini2010 profile image80

Thank you, everybody, for participating in the discussion - sometimes such  a small and seemingly insignificant thing is all that upsets the balance in our upbringing.  I had more than this even though I know that my mother loves me.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

There are so many things I would ask.  My mother died when I was 15 and at that age, I didn't know the questions to ask.  But if I had the chance I would want to know how she felt about all kinds of things.

The more I hear about people, the more I realize how tough life gets for many of us.  People lose their loved ones to illnesses, addictions, suicides, et cetera.  Is there anything more important that family and love? Friendship?

7. baygirl33 profile image58
    baygirl33posted 11 years ago

Oh so much,Kallini!
    I was 26 when she died and was in the throes of looking after 3 kids of my own plus my 4 siblings who now had no mother. People who know their mother and know love in that relationship seldom know how lucky they are. My mother was lost in the bottle.There was never a chance,it seemed,to ask and never an expectation of an answer that was not degrading.
    Thanks for the question!

I cannot say that "I know" how you feel, but I feel empathy.  I am grateful that I have my very imperfect family still and I have learned one lesson - "I am not allowed to leave the ship as long as I have any of them - my parents and my son.

8. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Yes...but, who knows when it's one's time to leave this earth.  We spend much of our time wishing and wondering in a sea of regret and asking ourselves, "if only I knew I would have done___differently", such as asking these important, burning questions.   Yet, how important are these questions in the end...

Sometimes, it is much simpler to be able to be fully present in the moment, hold someone's hand and share in the quiet of that time...silence often speaks what a million words cannot say.

9. puregrace profile image68
    puregraceposted 11 years ago

I wish I could have asked her about her childhood...and written down the things she told me about her parents and her sisters, life in the village she lived in in Holland...the war time...working in the tulips, and as a maid in people's houses. She has gone on now, and I'll see her again one day!

Thank you for your answer.  I think sometimes that is the reason why we should write sometimes - so someone some day can read - it's hard to tell stories to your children when they are not fully ready...

10. haikutwinkle profile image60
    haikutwinkleposted 11 years ago

Yes, there were many ... but they are not important now.
    Right now, treasuring the precious moments with an aging mother will be a more important priority than all past regrets.

Some things are best left unsaid in order to protect the heart from breaking.
    If the hearts are safe, naturally the life will be a harmonious one...

11. loso973 profile image60
    loso973posted 11 years ago

yea the day i found out who i really was and was proud to have ask her that one question some times you have to wonder and ask yourself WHAT IF?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)