Political extremist are being divisive & blatantly gender and racially biased. H

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (32 posts)
  1. SEXYLADYDEE profile image65
    SEXYLADYDEEposted 11 years ago

Political extremist are being divisive & blatantly gender and racially biased. How do we heal?

During this political campaign for President the ugliest and extremist crazies have been vocally abusive towards women & individuals of color, including the President. When a shoe was thrown at then Pres. Bush even I a non-supporter was appalled at the lack of respect for the "office" of the POTUS. Today it's open season on women & "minorities".  Hatred runs rampant as misogynists and bigots verbalize their ignorance in extremely public forums. How does this country begin to heal and move forward?

2. peanutroaster profile image65
    peanutroasterposted 11 years ago

Vote them out. Stand up to greedy women-hating bigots i.e. GOP.

SEXYLADYDEEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that you are so right. We have to vote out politicians who do not truly represent what this country stands for. Those who aren't working on jobs and improving the economy should be voted out. Along with every one of them who wasted time.

2. chuckd7138 profile image71
      chuckd7138posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm GOP, and I am neither greedy nor a hater of women. I'm quite the opposite on both counts.

3. Mitch Alan profile image80
      Mitch Alanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What specifics can you cite that show the Party or Romney to be either a woman hater or a bigot. He had a higher % of women in his Administration as Governor than any of his predecessors.

3. Lions Den Media profile image59
    Lions Den Mediaposted 11 years ago

First of all the Bush shoe throwing incident occurred in Iraq, whereupon an Iraqi journalist hurled his footwear as a sign of disrespect. Hence, it was an intentional act to show disrespect. But it occurred in another country in the Middle East where they routinely rape, beat and kill women for sport. The Middle East is also where they are bigoted towards Christians, blacks and whites, to the point that in Libya these "misogynists and bigots" did not verbally attack anyone, these radical Islamic savages murdered 4 White Christian males and sodomized an American Ambassador. In Pakistan a little girl was shot in the head by the Taliban for wanting to go to school.

In America there is a black president, a black attorney general, a black female UN Ambassador, a white female Secretary of State, Women CEOs of Fortune 500 companies like DuPont, ADM, Xerox, Sunoco, Kraft Foods etc.and there are black male CEOs across the country. There are also fabulous well respected black male economists like Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell who I admire greatly. Women can vote, kill unborn children at will without consequence, go to college, and generally b**ch and complain about not being treated equally without any fear of being shot in the head or put in jail in America.

Therefore, I do not accept your claims about it being "open season on women and minorities". In fact the assertion is hyperbole which lacks credibility based on the empirical facts. And I'm sick and tired of liberals using the "race card" and the phantom "war on women". However, I will stipulate the war on women exists in the form of abortions which obviously are killing thousands of little girls every year. And that racism does exist in the form of government entitlement programs which keep the poor shackled to their government servants.

Disagreeing with Obama based on his political and economic policies is not being disrespectful or racist. What is disrespectful however, is Obama's disgraceful lying to the American people in such cases as - the terrorist attacks that killed 4 Americans in Libya and the lying in the Fast and Furious gun running scheme that killed two Americans and scores of innocent Mexican nationals.

4. Wayne Brown profile image79
    Wayne Brownposted 11 years ago

The key is not allowing someone to place you in a group and then have you assume the defense or support of that group.  For example, the black race is a significant portion of the American population and it is often used in "group exploitation" by political parties.  In reality, the lives of black people are as different and varied as that of whites or hispanics thus their needs individually are not necessarily the needs of the group.  We have to be individuals in that we need to think for ourselves, establish our own principles and values so that we understand why we subscribe to them.  If those principles and values match up with those of a group, so be it.  As long as someone can tell us as a group how to think and how to feel and through that set up an expectation of how we will react, there will always be gender and racial tension.  In effect, we reward those guilty of doing this to us by reacting in the manner that they desire.  People are not stupid or gullible because of their race or gender but there are those in the business of manipulation who certainly think so. Regardless of who we are, if we invest in ourselves in any way that we can, we will improve our lot in life. My grandparents were sharecroppers, never owned a thing...that poverty tranlated into my father's life but it did not stop him from breaking out of it nor did it stop him from transferring that desire and drive to me.  When we face life as individuals and deal with its challenges, we have strengthened ourselves. When we elect to melt into the herd and accept the labels assigned to the herd only to behave like the herd, we do ourselves no good as individuals.  When we can overcome that "herd mentality" then we can stop the manipulation and we will all be better for it. We can then say, "I am an individual and I also proud to be an American.". ~WB

WB thank you for that powerful observation. We are individuals and in this election the group mentality has caused an ugly swarm. They've loss site of what's important. Their CONSTITUENTS.

5. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

I like this question. It reveals one of the best things about being a real Christian. In circumstances like these we have a serious first order of work. We are to pray for and Love our enemies even as ourselves. Maybe this helps cure the problem and maybe not. But I %100 guarantee that it answers the question of "How do we heal?"

As a Christian I believe in the power of prayer and the miracles it can bring to pass. But people who called themselves wore white hoods in this country and still continue to torment others they feel aren't "worthy".  Faith requires work.

2. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Clearly My Lady Dee,
      But you asked how to heal not how to punish and deter. I think your question is the right one - first. Next time you see me, get all excited and ballistic when I read a tiny bit of hate -- that is what I do. Nip in the bud.

6. LauraGT profile image85
    LauraGTposted 11 years ago

I think the only way we can move beyond this is if people start to really talk to each other and understand other viewpoints.  Unfortunately, we have become so segregated in today's society (politically) and issues are so divisive, that often people on "opposite" sides never talk to each other. I had the experience this past summer of talking with one of the top aide's of one of the GOP presidential candidates.  A friend asked him, "Don't we need to be talking to each other? Finding out how we can bridge things?"  The aide responded, "No.  We just need to fight it out and in the end we'll win."  Nice...

1. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here's why: "The hatred is certainly palpable in that post, at any rate." In response to my opinion. Personal attacks rather than talking. That way--they deflect from the issues, and make it about me. Or Obama, or Clinton, or whoever. Name calling.

2. Attikos profile image82
      Attikosposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That wasn't a personal attack, it was an observation on what you had written. In casting blame on "the other" for the hatred so common in today's society, you exposed your own, LMC. If you hate hatred, first stop hating, then point out the rest.

3. lovemychris profile image76

How do you say I was hating? I was expressing my opinion. You put that label on me. Trust me, there was no hate. I was explaining my take on the division going on. I could well say that you have hatred towards Obama, but I don't go there. Why do you?

4. Attikos profile image82

Oh, my shaking head. The left is unreal. Here's one of several from the post: "It will take a 2 by 4 to heal, I think. A miracle. They need to feel the pain they are inflicting ...but this is the time for it! And I personally can't wait."

5. SEXYLADYDEE profile image65

The hatred for "who" fills the chair is overshadowing all of the important things we need to get done. Not even surprised to hear that. You are so right we need to listen to one another. Not attack or try to destroy. Thank you for responding.

6. Attikos profile image82

Frankly, Lady, each of us needs to listen to himself first. Then, and not until then, he will be in a position to hear what others are saying.

7. chuckd7138 profile image71
    chuckd7138posted 11 years ago

For political debate, I try to follow these rules:
    1. Stay on topic - If debating Obama's foreign policies, just stay with Obama's foreign policies, not Bush's or Clinton's or anyone else.
    2. Don't convert - The beauty of this nation is the freedom to make our own choices. I am a fiscal conservative, social moderate and foreign policy hawk. Overall, I've been this way since I was 9 years old. That means over 32 years. However, I do read. I do think. And I do re-evaluate my stance on some things every so often. My views are mine, and no one should try to convert me. Because I'm not trying to convert anyone to my views. My thing is "go get your own", which comes from listening to all sides.
    3. Don't generalize - Not every individual of a demographic is the same.
    4. Don't deflect - Defending a person's wrongdoing because the predecessor(s) did wrong is not a viable argument. Wrong is wrong, period. We should hold everyone accountable .... everyone.
    5. No character assassinations - Attacking a person's character or personality is not staying on topic or relevant, especially if you do not know the individual personally. This means no name-calling, no insults and no generalized labeling.
    6. Don't get emotional - When adrenaline pumps and people become "passionate", they get angry and yell and speak over a person. This is rude, disrespectful and a great way to show that your argument is invalid. Keep calm, don't interrupt and speak in a normal voice.
    7. Remember that not everyone agrees 100% on everything - I'm a Republican, but that does not mean I'm in line 100% with Romney, or even Bush when he was in office. Yes, I will disapprove of some things they say or do; just like there are some good things about Obama. I haven't seen them yet, but I'm sure they're there.
    8. Don't take things personally - Yes, defend what you feel are attacks against you, but if someone insults the POTUS or one who is running for that office, you can't take that as an attack against you. People are entitled to their opinions, educated or informed or not. People are allowed to be stupid if they want, but they are not allowed to disrespect you.
    9. Know when to walk away - People will break these rules all the time. When you tell them that you won't abide by that, do not give them quarter. If they disrespect you, they are not worthy of your time. If they won't listen, then walk away. You're just wasting your time and breath for nothing.
    10. Avoid the debate in the first place!

Good rules....but it must apply to everyone, and that is where it goes haywire. Some people see it as war--they have said so. And there are no rules in war. Respect left the building a long time ago, where they are concerned. No Quarter is the motto

2. Perspycacious profile image64
      Perspycaciousposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If this doesn't get voted as "Best Answer" it deserves a second, and a third look.  We are all in this leaking boat, and we can all bail and row, or sink and drown together!

3. SEXYLADYDEE profile image65

Great points.  I'm a democrat but as you have stated I don't agree with everything not everyone. We have lost the basic rules of politeness and fairness. We as a people are suffering. What's important has been lost in the fight.

8. Perspycacious profile image64
    Perspycaciousposted 11 years ago

We heal by turning off the "Me, My, Mine" and tackling the "We, Us, Ours."  The national problems have grown to such proportions that we aren't going to solve them by just some of us trying to do it.  We will have to do it together, or fail!  The National Debt is now $16.2 trillion plus, your share and my share is $141,200.00 apiece!  Everyone would be happy, if only everything was the way it was in 2004, but everything isn't; nothing is, and it is only getting rapidly worse.  Everyone needs to vote their real conscience, and then support the new Congress and president by putting our own shoulders to the wheel and pushing along in the same direction until collectively we find the solutions to restore America's promised greatness, just as other generations of Americans have done.

Thank you for responding. We rag on the younger generation that is all about "me" but we as adults are just as bad. We need to work harder and help get things moving in the right direction.

9. Mitch Alan profile image80
    Mitch Alanposted 11 years ago

1. What SPECIFIC Party stance or Romney action has been racist or sexist?
    2. What of the FACT that under this administration there are FEWER minorities and women working than when he took office?
    3. What of Pres. Obama's constant "us vs. them" attacks...rich vs. poor...haves vs. have nots...white vs. black...etc...?

1. LiamBean profile image79
      LiamBeanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

1. Planned Parenthood? I'll get rid of that.
      2. Bad economy.
      3. They happen to be true, or do you believe that 10% or less of the population should own 60% of the wealth?

2. lovemychris profile image76

Women as sl*ts
      Obama as shuckn and jivin food stamp spear throwing boy
      "petulant child"
      47% as users....thinking they 're entitled to food.
      Overturn row v wade, cause HE knows better what I choose to do with MY life
      No money for poor,PLENTY for pals

3. Lions Den Media profile image59
      Lions Den Mediaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LMC - you should not be referring to women in general as sluts. "Spear throwing boy" is your term! Overturn Roe v Wade - show me the quote and who said it.  I do agree with you however,   liberals are "petulant child[ren]".

4. Mitch Alan profile image80
      Mitch Alanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How is getting rid of federal funding for a private abortion company either racist or sexist. The federal government should't use confiscatory taxes for that purpose. Constitution is key. Worse economy under Obama. Wealth to those who produce it.

10. LiamBean profile image79
    LiamBeanposted 11 years ago

First and foremost vote them all out of office. It isn't just the misogyny that I find alarming. If that were not bad enough, and it's pretty damned bad, we have people sitting on a science committee don't know the first thing about the subject.

So vote them out. That followed by a public shaming might help.

Burning at the stake, though symbolic, likely wouldn't help.

Jobs Jobs Jobs got them in.....uh.......hello! More of the same is insanity.

2. SEXYLADYDEE profile image65

Thanks LB I think people have to be encouraged to vote. Don't think your one vote doesn't count. It does.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)