What has been your worst customer service experience? In what industry?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. UMHiram profile image60
    UMHiramposted 11 years ago

What has been your worst customer service experience? In what industry?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7320861_f260.jpg

2. LadyLola profile image72
    LadyLolaposted 11 years ago

Being ignored, that is about the extent of my personal experience. I do, however work in customer service and let me tell you, I've seen some terrible service where I work (not to put my co-workers down, but if it walks like a duck...). I have also seen bad customers, and it is no wonder after being in this industry for 10 years. I also admit to giving bad service personally, because I was having a bad day or a nicotine fit. I openly admit these things because it is true. I went to work on the same day that I found out my Auntie died and I was upset. A customer went out of his way to complain about my sad exterior and my boss told me to leave my personal problems at home. Hey, I'm only human, what can I say? I love my Aunt, I miss her. Maybe I should have called in and took the day off, but then my busy work place would be swamped without me and my co-workers would hold a grudge and who can afford to miss a day of work in a low paying job anyway?

1. abbykorinnelee profile image53
      abbykorinneleeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hate trying to be nice when having a nictine fit

2. UMHiram profile image60
      UMHiramposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LadyLola, we are all human and personally I think that your boss should have been sensitive & smart enough to just let you go home that day w/the option to make the time up. Management has to get a clue too.

3. abbykorinnelee profile image53
    abbykorinneleeposted 11 years ago

I was working as an Shift Supervisor that was acting Assistant Store Director for Hollywood Video in Lemoore California in 2001.  I had a customer that came in and when I told her she had a late fee (extended viewing rental fees as they preferred you called them) she got rude and said she turned them in.  I said that I would be glad to check out on the floor just in case they weren't checked in but all four were not here and that normally it would be one or two of the movies if that happend.  I asked if she was sure she returned them and she was snapping answers at me.  I wrote down the tag numbers and asked if she wanted me to call her if I found them.  She refused to leave unless I checked right away.  I spent thirty minutes looking for those movies and told her they aren't in my store.  She was still telling me she had returned them.  I called other locations to be sure that she didn't make a mistake and take them to the wrong store and nothing. 

She ended up verbally abusing my shift leader and told her that she wasn't anyone that all she did was work behind the counter with "that bitch".  I told her that it wasn't acceptable to speak to her that way and she further insulted me for working minimum wage and I had nothing going for me an dhow important and wealthy she was blah blah.  I told her to "get the hell out of my store we don't need your business...I was married to a Marine with two kids and went to school full time and I worked here because I wanted to and I didn't need the Fin money...that she was a lonely and bitter old lady and we wouldn't stand for verbally abusive customers.  She called coporate to file a complaint. 

I got promoted and I called her to tell her I was sorry for what I said.  She said she was sorry she got me fired.  I laughed so hard and said "Lady because of how I handled you I got promoted." She never came back")

1. LadyLola profile image72
      LadyLolaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah yes, the uppity customer. Too funny. I had one lady yelling at my friend that her dad was a lawyer and that she could buy her and she was going to sue the store...of course it never happened.

Abby, I am speechless in regards to that customer; however, I am happy that you got the promotion yikes) I understand about being military spouse; I served (active duty/reserves) for 20 years in the Navy & will become an Army wife soon yikes) Take Care

4. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 11 years ago

After 30 years in the auto parts industry, mostly as a manufacturer but also 8 years as the head of R&D and production I’ve had too many to count.

The worst are the ones who continue to fume and spit venom after they have been clearly shown to be in the wrong.

Maybe the worst was a guy who went on for 30 minutes after it was pointed out that I didn’t sell him the bad parts or have anything to do with making them.
    When I asked him why he didn’t go to the place where he bought them he said that they were too far away and he didn’t have all day.

1. abbykorinnelee profile image53
      abbykorinneleeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They are wrong yet throw at you "Aren't the customer's always right?'
      " And in your head you keep changint you wish

Borsia, I commend you for not jumping over the counter and letting him hold something (lol) ... gotta' love some folks & their crazy responses.

5. innerspin profile image86
    innerspinposted 11 years ago

I used to buy cosmetics regularly from a French mail order company. One time I wasn't home when the delivery arrived, the box was left inside my rubbish bin, on top of the rubbish. After I wrote to complain, politely asking for a refund as I wasn't about to use cosmetics from my bin, the company took me off their mailing list and cancelled my account. I didn't get a refund either.

1. UMHiram profile image60

@innerspin, Wow ... now that is truly a prime example of customer service gone extremely wrong and so much for caring about your consumer. Are these folks still in business? Although that was a horrible experience, thanks for sharing.

2. innerspin profile image86
      innerspinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just googled them, yes, they're still going. A very big brand. They have great products, I used them for about two years.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Utilities.  We were building a home and I was working on getting the power hooked up. We were very new at the process and I asked a couple of questions and the gal on the phone was flat rude.

I told her that he sarcasm was not helping and not appreciated.  She immediately changed her tone which I appreciated.

I was rude once as well. I was a teller in a bank and had only been there 2 months and could not fit in--I was miserable.  A young man came to my window and I am not sure what he was unhappy about.  And he told me he was going to close his savings due to this upset--whatever it was.

I looked at him and said, Try and imagine how much I care.  He laughed, I laughed and I explained to him I was sorry and he left happy.

But I was really rude and it was wrong on my part--but I have to admit it felt pretty good at the time....:-)

7. miss1magination profile image66
    miss1maginationposted 11 years ago

I once worked in the tourism industry, I 'd tell you some of the holiday guests aren't always in a good mood. One day I scanned a item and put the man's transaction through but at the last minute the customer changed he's mind on a purchase, but I had already previously told him about the deal and at the last moment said actually I will get it- that was fine but since he had changed he's mind I had to do a refund. The guest didn't want any part in signing our refund book, which is the company's policy to receiving a refund or exchanges so I went ahead anyway to writing the refund up. He then got extremely impatient I then told him I'm doing my best and got upset and 'told him to stop being so rude' This was probably something I shouldn't have said but it was the truth and he yelled at me to hurry up, several times. Very demanding! I just wish a little bit of respect was givern as excellent customer service is hard work trying to please everyone.

1. LadyLola profile image72
      LadyLolaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think people like that walk around in a bad mood, whether you are serving them or not. People like that have never had to serve or work in customer service and so they don't realize that there are protocols to follow that are made by the company.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)