Would you give a compliment publicly or privately?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (25 posts)
  1. midget38 profile image87
    midget38posted 11 years ago

Would you give a compliment publicly or privately?

2. GlstngRosePetals profile image68
    GlstngRosePetalsposted 11 years ago

Well that would depend on what the compliment was for. If the compliment was for something in public then I would compliment in public. If it was something in private than keep the compliment private. Each action creates a reaction so if you want to get the most out of your compliment think about the situation and what the reaction would be to the person you compliment.

midget38posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great advice, GistngRosePetals!

3. Paul Kuehn profile image93
    Paul Kuehnposted 11 years ago

As a 5th grade EFL teacher I give compliments to my students publicly with the intention of making people feel good in front  of their peers.  The other purpose of this is to motivate and inspire other students to do well.  As a teacher, It has always been my policy to praise publicly and admonish privately.

As a fellow teacher I so agree, Paul. We have to give the kids compliments publicly for the good things they do. If we have to let them down, it's never good to do it in front of their friends. True!

4. Stephanie Henkel profile image93
    Stephanie Henkelposted 11 years ago

There is a place for both public and private complements. I do like to complement people in public for things like a job well done because it is a way of giving them recognition in front of their peers. I think that it is also important to complement children for a job well done in front of other adults because it boosts their confidence to know that we are proud of them. (Let's always be sincere and not over-do it, though!)   

Sometimes, it's more appropriate to complement people in private. If I were complementing someone on their tactful way of handling a situation or on their weight loss, I would probably do it privately.

One thing I'd like to say about complements in general. Insincere or gushing complements are just embarrassing, and sometimes downright annoying!  And, in a group when one person is the recipient of all the complements, it doesn't make the rest of the group feel good.  Don't go overboard!

Too true, Stephanie. Kids need the recognition! We sometimes compliment in a group, and end up making people feel embarrassed. Something I was thinking about!

5. Goody5 profile image60
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

I would give someone a compliment both ways.

Thanks, Goody5!

6. Sunshine625 profile image85
    Sunshine625posted 11 years ago

It all depends on the situation, but I go both ways. Publicly and privately.

It does depend on the situation, Linda! Thanks for sharing!

7. viveresperando profile image63
    viveresperandoposted 11 years ago

It depends on the situation and the individual.  Some individuals are introverts by nature and prefer any type of compliment in private, giving a introvert a compliment in public might actually make it uncomfortable for them.  Why give a compliment and in the process make them uncomfortable?  I know some individuals which actually love being complimented in front of others, it is a great motivator for them.  I would try to decided which would way would be received better for the specific individual.  It is just being nice.

I'd wholeheartedly agree with this one. It really depends on the nature of the person. And the persons surrounding him...if those tend to be a little bit uncomfortable at being complimented, I'd not compliment in public. Thanks for the insights!

8. Daisy Mariposa profile image73
    Daisy Mariposaposted 11 years ago

Michelle,

It depends upon the compliment...what is being said and to whom.

Definitely the social situation must be borne in mind! Thanks for sharing!

9. Nyamache profile image60
    Nyamacheposted 11 years ago

It depends who I'm complimenting. I will compliment those who have low esteem publicly so as to make them realize that they're being appreciated. This will motivate them and raise their self-esteem.

True.It boosts their ego, though we have to be mindful that they might feel embarrassed too!

10. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 11 years ago

I prefer to give a compliment publicly when appropriate as it tends to raise the self esteem and is also a good example to others.  However, if the compliment might embarrass the person in some way then I give it privately.  We, as parents and teachers must also be careful when good things are said about one sibling with the other looking on.  Find something good to say about each one in that case.

Good question.

So true! We have to be careful when others look on as they might feel uncomfortable. Thanks for sharing!

11. teaches12345 profile image78
    teaches12345posted 11 years ago

It depends.  It is nice to acknowledge someone in public so that others are aware of the effort and can also compliment.  If it is something that is personal and you want to make it special, then private expression is better.

Yes. If the person feels embarrassed about being complimented, it is best not to say anything too!

12. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

Either.  If I feel a compliment coming on I just go with it at the time.  I guess if it were a matter that I thought might better be mentioned privately, then I'd go for "privately".  An example might be if someone looked great because, say, they lost a lot of weight.  I wouldn't bring that kind of personal matter up in public.  But, with the routine "your hair looks really good like that," or "That color looks really nice on your," I'd see no reason not to just say it.  On bigger matters (like, maybe somebody showed particular skill doing something) I'd just say it, whether anyone else was round or not.  So, I guess I draw that line on that particularly personal stuff.  Of course, there can be a difference between, for example, "You write really well," and "You're sure writing a lot better than you used to," so that would make a difference in my choice of when/where to give the compliment too.

I'm not a teacher, but my personal thinking regarding child and compliments, though, is that it can be nice to spend a little extra time with the child in private, and get to talk a little about whatever it is that deserves the compliment.  Besides having that "mini-quality time" with the child, I'd be reluctant to call too much (even positive) attention to some children about some things in some situations; because a lot of kids get embarrassed or otherwise uncomfortable if someone singles them out.  Some people might say, "Well, let them get more comfortable receiving positive attention, then."  I think, though, for kids who really don't like being singled out and/or having someone "make a big deal" about something good that they did (publicly), the benefits of receiving a compliment at all can be outweighed by the discomfort and wish the adult understood his needs/wishes better.  Very young children are less likely to be uncomfortable.  Kids approaching or in adolescence can be a lot more likely to prefer not to be singled out.

Thanks for the wonderful insight, Lisa! Exactly what I was thinking too. Some people will feel embarrassed because they feel singled out or bad that they got the attention! Others may feel jealous too. So discretion must be exercised. Thank you!

2. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

midget138, thanks.  It's nice to know I may not entirely be a giant oddball and weirdo.   lol

13. petenali profile image81
    petenaliposted 11 years ago

A private compliment comes with no risk of an ulterior motive.  The only people who know about the compliment are you and the person you are complimenting.  It tends to be heartfelt and genuine.
    A public compliment could be used to further your own personal agenda, albeit in the guise of making someone else look good.
    That being said, credit where credit is due.  If you are speaking publicly and there is an opportunity to genuinely compliment someone, I think it's perfectly fine to do so.  Personally, in that scenario, I would want to have complimented them privately first.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)