Why are some writers reluctant to share ideas? Others are very willing. Is it a

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (24 posts)
  1. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Why are some writers reluctant to share ideas?  Others are very willing. Is it a competitive thing?

Internet writing is so different. Does fear of copying enter into the picture?  What other factors?

2. abbykorinnelee profile image54
    abbykorinneleeposted 11 years ago

I think it is that, but I share, my life and ideas are an open book.  I figure if someone is that desperate they are going to steal it than let em.  I have enough information and creativity to write the same topic and not write one same thing they did.  I think brainstorming with people makes it fun.

3. Karen Banes profile image70
    Karen Banesposted 11 years ago

I love sharing ideas. I'm a member of writers' networks and write a blog about writing so I can do just that. I look on it as paying it forward as I learned so much from other experienced writers early in my career. I guess some writers are competitive, but really, if you're good at what you do you really shouldn't be. In spite of the recession (or maybe because of it) there is plenty of freelance work to go round. I'm working on a short book of writing prompts right now. In my experience a whole class of writers can write to the same prompt and come up with hugely diverse ideas.

1. abbykorinnelee profile image54
      abbykorinneleeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In my opinion its how you also get better

4. J. Biaza profile image60
    J. Biazaposted 11 years ago

Some writers and more confident and understand what "giving" means.  Give once and you will have a return many more times over. 
    Isn't the idea of writing sharing...

5. Georgie Lowery profile image91
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

I figure that, if no one had ever helped me, I'd have no idea what to do. Sometimes I still don't and I ask and get answers. So I have no problem sharing what I've learned.

Pay it forward:)

2. Georgie Lowery profile image91
      Georgie Loweryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's right, it's good karma! smile

3. abbykorinnelee profile image54

Oh I am all about good karma...I had a S*&) load hit me ten fold from when I was younger...I will good mojo out there wherever I can smile

6. beckyscorner profile image56
    beckyscornerposted 11 years ago

Ideas are not subject to copyrights, so if you talk about a great idea and someone else cranks it out first, you may have given someone else a nice payday and cudos for publishing. As a graduate student, I know of a student who took someone else's idea and published it. Nothing could be done because the person had told the idea to the other student. But I think it is more about the type of personality the writer has. Some writers like to work out problems in isolation, while others need to stay connected and receive encouragement and support from others. Personally, I need to be free of distractions when I am first working on a piece of writing; however, I prefer to work with others when editing.

7. multiculturalsoul profile image70
    multiculturalsoulposted 11 years ago

If someone asks to help with the nuts and bolts of writing, I answer with no hesitation. It may not be the answer he or she wants to hear, but I'm willing to help. I was an English teacher long before I wrote professionally, so I'm used to helping others with their writing.

I don't share specific ideas--the plot turns and twists I'm using or working on--but I can and do give directions. If an aspiring writer asks, "Will this work?" I give a candid answer. If an aspiring writer asks, "Can you give me any ideas for what to write about?" I hesitate. I can't tell you WHAT to write; I can show you HOW to write what you write better.

8. ReneeDC1979 profile image59
    ReneeDC1979posted 11 years ago

Great question.  I would say some writers are reluctant to share ideas because they doubt their writing abilities, they feel their writing will not be accepted, and/or do not want to get negative feedback, constructive criticism or opposition to their point of view.  I say write for you.  You can't please everyone.

9. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

Competition is neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned, and I do like to be helpful when asked. But, for me, there are some things that I write that I really put my heart and soul into and if someone steals that piece of my heart and soul...it really hurts.

10. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 11 years ago

Not every writer would want to share their ideas,  a fear of other stealing their idea which happens so often online. I definitely wouldn't want to share any of my ideas with another writer.

11. profile image0
    Carolee Saysposted 11 years ago

My alter ego (Cardisa)  once asked a question about how to get in the number 1 -3 spot on the first page of Google. One hubber distinctly asked why should she give away that secret? I was embarrassed. I had no idea that she giving tips would affect her position......wow...it's a dog eat dog world in cyberpsace!

1. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I remember that incident, and that is one of the reasons I asked this question.

2. Karen Banes profile image70
      Karen Banesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But you're only in direct competition with her if you're both targeting the exact same keyword/phrase. I continue to share ideas and help new writers. And I continue to get new ideas and receive help from others. Karma in action!

3. safiq ali patel profile image67
      safiq ali patelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Somewhere in the world of publishing and copyright there is an old rule that says your ideas are your intellectual property and they should not just be given away.

12. safiq ali patel profile image67
    safiq ali patelposted 11 years ago

Maybe some writers won't share ideas because they believe their ideas to be unique and so they don't just want to give their ideas away for nothing.

13. phoenixarizona profile image65
    phoenixarizonaposted 11 years ago

The problem with sharing ideas is, when you do so the competitiveness  of having an original article/story is at higher risk. The fact of the matter is the less original your work is the less it will pay off in the long run. I do try to share ideas but not often.
    Sometimes as a writer if your muse is not speaking to you that one idea that you shared has already been published leaving you broke and out of inspiration.
    Double edged sword really......

14. profile image50
    muhammmadnaeemposted 11 years ago

The content writers share is generally dependent on multiple factors. Firstly, the environment they grow in. Secondly, for some writers passions decreases with time because e.g. when they applied they randomly decided to write but due to some reasons they could not give it proper time afterwards. Then thirdly, there is an innate fear which might be called 'Author's Block'. Fourthly, some people feel insecure sharing their ideas because they believe their ideas to be their personality which is quite true generally.

15. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

So what ideas do we have that haven't been thought of by someone else before us?   Didn't one of the Ancient Greek playwrights say that there are basically only seven different stories and that everything else is simply a play on these.  That is the backgrounds, the date in history, these sorts of things are constantly changing but the same seven stories pop up over and over again.

Personally, as far as I can determine, I am happy to share any of my ideas - though not always the presentation of them.  The presentation is personal and stems from my particular character.  Our characters, of course,depending upon our values, which in tern generate our motives.

It's been said by many,  "We get back what we give out."  If we hoard our creativity, keep our 'light under a bushel,' how can we expect others - including The Universe - to unstintingly provide?

16. Beata Stasak profile image79
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

Sharing ideas and thoughts is the biggest advantage of internet writing , I don't think that genuine writers' intention is to copy each other, as each writer has its own individual style and voice that is not really possible to duplicate....how do you want to copy the writer's heart and soul?

If you are an honest writerm, one doing it for the right reasons, you wouldn't need to copy another's work

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)