What do you do to feel better, when you're down and out?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Craan profile image81
    Craanposted 11 years ago

What do you do to feel better, when you're down and out?

2. Creative Life profile image60
    Creative Lifeposted 11 years ago

What do I do to feel better when I'm down and out?  Sometimes when I get down, I have to notice the thoughts that I am thinking.  It is usually  that I get stuck in my own pity-party.  We all have those moments that are the most vulnerable, when we get stuck in our self-doubt or lack of confidence and trust in ourselves. 

So the first thing I do is to pause long enough to notice what thoughts I am  thinking that are making me feel a certain way.  Then I can decide how or what I want to do to get out of it or not.  The main thing is to be able to be aware enough to make the choice.

I then, begin with gratitude. I look for things I am thankful for in my life.  And next,  I either decide I am going to stay in my down and out feeling for a while or I get out... I  take a walk, call a friend, paint, write or just watch a feel-good movie.

I know that those moments will pass, so I have patience for my mood. Sometimes, we need to create our own inner-friendship and tell ourselves that things will be okay. I will then either force it out by doing something to get out of my head or I ride the wave until I reach solid ground.

3. BkCreative profile image67
    BkCreativeposted 11 years ago

I lay down and take deep breaths. I breathe in for a count of 15 - making sure I fill my stomach. Then I breathe out for a count of 15 - making sure I empty my stomach. I injured my back last year and this is a tip my physical therapist gave me. Although I always knew the value of deep breathing I was really hit and miss. Now I do it regularly. It also energizes me!

4. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I stop what I'm doing, walk away to get a breather, then say a prayer. When it gets bad, I kneel down and pray. This has worked wonders for me, lifting a burden almost instantly.

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Walk !.....Get out in the natural world !  Take a childs hand , or a dogs leash , heck borrow a dog ! But go for a walk and let loose the pent up emotions , anxieties and  problems that bog you down !........Its a sure cure !

6. Dan Barfield profile image73
    Dan Barfieldposted 11 years ago

There are a number of things I do to pick myself up when I'm down. Getting out in the fresh air and walking in the countriside is a good one. If I'm worrying about something I try and meditate to clear the stressful thoughts from my mind. Doing any kind of creative activity be it writing, drawing, painting, sculpting with clay... all of these things do me wonders. Singing! That's a biggy - it always brightens my mood. Also making other people happy - doing favors for people with nothing expected in return. Just seeing how much a helping hand can relieve someone elses worries provides a big boost to my generel level of happiness... I think it's important to have a lot of different ways to make oneself happy. It reduces the likelihood that the effectiveness of any one method will wear off.

7. cjpooja26 profile image63
    cjpooja26posted 11 years ago

when I feel down I try to think what i like the most or just move out with my painting kit and start painting. It gives me so much peace and i feel good. Tried many time and worked.

8. Rishabh Bhatia profile image58
    Rishabh Bhatiaposted 11 years ago

I just lay down and talk to god and try to cheer myself up

9. SimpleJoys profile image68
    SimpleJoysposted 11 years ago

Prayer has been my best reliever. I try to get to a place of solitude and give my troubles to the Lord. If I don't do this, I find My concerns become much bigger than they need to be. A favorite family saying is that God has not brought us this far to dump us. We have always, with the help of God, found our way through all things.

10. prabhav30 profile image60
    prabhav30posted 11 years ago

Being down and out can be a very distressing situation to be in. However it also guarantees a chance to actually have a deep silent conversation with one's own self.The beauty of such a conversation is that it is so one sided a parlance that one really doesn't need to make an effort to carry it forward. Just be prepared to let the voice within tell you about the worst thing that can possibly happen or has happened and allow yourself to feel as sorry and distraught as possible for it. Because within a few minutes the previously distressing feeling will start to subside and the thought that the situation can only improve from hereon starts to gain momentum. The same voice will then highlight ways which show you a way out. Its a great way to completely drain apprehensions out of your system. Have been trying this for the past few days and it is quite useful.

11. vibz profile image56
    vibzposted 11 years ago

I listen to music. It helps me regain. Just doing something I like to enjoy.

12. Anne-Marie Yerks profile image60
    Anne-Marie Yerksposted 11 years ago

Jazzercise! Working out is the best way to put your problems into perspective. I think yoga, pliates, and Zumba are good too. I'm not as much into treadmills and elliptical machines.

1. lovish09 profile image58
      lovish09posted 11 years agoin reply to this

13. Tony Kickass profile image59
    Tony Kickassposted 11 years ago

I just sit back, light a cigarette, listen to some "upbeat" music and chill out (^_^) how about you Craan??

1. Craan profile image81
      Craanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Since, I'm newly married, I spend extra time with hubby. We talk, go for a walk in a nearby pond park, or out to eat. If something is ever terribly wrong with our friends, family or us, we consult with our preacher. Praying comforts us a lot too!

14. healtheemama profile image59
    healtheemamaposted 11 years ago

I smile.  I may not feel like it, but after a few minutes of forced smiling I feel better.  smile

15. profile image0
    MarvelTomboyposted 11 years ago

I usually read, crochet a blanket, or write. One of those usually helps and if I need to get something like anger out of my system, I dance and sing.

16. lovish09 profile image58
    lovish09posted 11 years ago

RIDE - RIDE MY MOTORCYCLE !!

riding it at very slow speeds very feeling down is the best I CAN do. if no riding MUSIC will make me HIGH ON LIFE again.

17. JessBraz profile image90
    JessBrazposted 11 years ago

Music is usually my salvation... I'm also a very big fan of doing the Mick Jagger dance.. lol... If you've ever seen any video of Mick Jagger on stage, you know, he's not exactly the greatest of dancers...There's a whole lot of flailing his arms about and jutting out his lips and hip holding.. lol.
    I find when I just can't get out of my own way, putting "Start Me Up" or "Get of of My Cloud" into my ipod and dancing like Mick Jagger usually cheers me up... Gotta do it when you're alone though, because you'll look like a fool.. which is kind of the point I suppose.. smile

18. TerryK81 profile image60
    TerryK81posted 11 years ago

That would have to depend on WHAT or WHO and HOW I was driven to be down and out. But answering the insinuation of the first sentence of this reply intending to answer your question (because it may or may not) I most of the time will either write, read, watch a little TV; and these are just "let the mind wrap around the deal" type responses for me also, but they are also things I do everyday when possible. Then there are friends online, and then with things that deeply bum me out I will consult my pastor (for religious issues) or an encyclopedia (for educational issues) or will seek the means that are right and beneficial for whatever the issue. Not throwing or suggesting any religious or personal beliefs at you, but reading/studying my Bible helps too. It's humbling and brings the mind and emotions down to reality.
    Then with the bigger issues, I will pray. If it be an issue caused by my own hand then doing what I can as far as possible to make it right will happen, including relationships be it friends, family or religious. Only just steer clear, far and away of "certain" things. In the past, means were put to action to do things that may have hurt me but at the time didn't care. I hope you find the answers that will help you, or even give you ideas, as to help you in whatever you are going through. It was a pleasure doing what I could.

1. Craan profile image81
      Craanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Terry!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)