Have you studied the feasts of Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles in the Old T

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. SwordofManticorE profile image69
    SwordofManticorEposted 11 years ago

Have you studied the feasts of Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles in the Old Testament?

What do they represent for us today?

2. irenemaria profile image59
    irenemariaposted 11 years ago

I have read about the passover feast. The Pentecost is not mentioned in the Old testament since it is an event with the first Christians and the Tabernacles I have never heard of.

3. profile image0
    starsofeightposted 11 years ago

I have looked into all three, but only studied about Passover, as I needed to know certain facts for my writing.

What they represent depends mostly on who the 'us' is. For me, the significance lies in the fact that Jesus took the place of the Paschal Lamb.

4. profile image0
    John King IVposted 11 years ago

Yes.  It would take way to long to fully explain... 

Let me just say this, know the signs of the modern times.  This is far more important than ancient traditions and rituals.

1. SwordofManticorE profile image69
      SwordofManticorEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And what signs should we know?

2. profile image0
      John King IVposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Greetings sword of manticor:

What a question!  It is also very difficult to answer as well.  I will attempt...and hope that I am able to communicate properly and be understood.   Also as it was written so long ago:  "let him who has ears, hear".

3. SwordofManticorE profile image69

I am sorry, you cannot imagine how many times I have heard that from those who have claimed they have divine ears and use that verse as if what they say is the only truth.

4. profile image0

i am continueing this dialogue on one of your hubs about hell.   (Because I am able to write more..ok?

5. SwordofManticorE profile image69

np

5. cam8510 profile image91
    cam8510posted 11 years ago

The Feast of Tabernacles is a way for the Hebrew people to remember how life was as their ancestors wandered in the wilderness for 40 yrs.  The tabernacles or huts that are used are to remind them of the temporary dwellings of their ancestors.

I'm sure someone has tried to make this mean something significant for Christians today, but it may mean nothing more than keeping in mind that there are consequences for disobedience, which is why the Israelites wandered for so long.  The feast of Passover clearly has NT meaning because the NT explicitly says so.

Pentecost was the feast mentioned in Leviticus 23:16.  It coincided with the coming of the Holy Spirit.  Originally it measured the fifty days between the Feast of First Fruits and the Feast of Shavuot. 

As far as meanings of these things for the Christian, the rule of thumb has always been to only assign meaning when the NT assigns that meaning.  Otherwise meaning can be read into anything.

6. JMcFarland profile image71
    JMcFarlandposted 11 years ago

I have studied all three, and in my opinion, I think that the ritual of passover and the alleged story behind it is one of the most disgusting stories in the whole bible.

1. cam8510 profile image91
      cam8510posted 11 years agoin reply to this

As for my comments, they are strictly an observation, not an indication that I believe these things.

2. Peter Palmadesso profile image54
      Peter Palmadessoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
          the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”

3. JMcFarland profile image71
      JMcFarlandposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So are you telling me I'm perishing?   If so,  it's not news.   Everybody dies.  So what?  Or are you telling me that I'm wise?   Thanks,  that's nice of you.

7. renegadetory profile image60
    renegadetoryposted 11 years ago

Passover today is a renewing of my covenant with Jesus as my Lord and Saviour.  Every year I eat unleavened bread that represents His body that was broken for me and drink wine that symbolizes His blood that was shed for me to pay the death penalty for sin.  Passover to me also represents God's Holy Spirit dwelling in our bodies as temples rather than the physical temple (the tearing of the great veil).

Which also leads to Tabernacles, or Feast of Booths, representing our temporary physical existence.  Our bodies are temporary dwellings for God's Holy Spirit until Christ returns.  This Feast was specifically for the nation of Israel in the OT but any stranger or foreigner within their gates could also keep it.  When Christ returns as King here on earth, all nations shall keep this Feast as mentioned in Zechariah 14:16-19.

Pentecost was Feast of Weeks (First Fruits) in the OT.  Jesus was the first of the first fruits.  It was also the fulfillment of the promise of the Holy Spirit as was seen by all those around the disciples in Acts chapter 2.  Just as God made a rainbow in the sky as a promise never to destroy all living things again, Pentecost is a fulfillment of God's promise to us to receive the Holy Spirit when we accept Christ as our Saviour that we may be able to do great things in His name.

1. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Why would Jesus tell you to take wine for communion when He clearly says what He said in Rm 14:21 & I Cor 8:13?

8. Ms Dee profile image85
    Ms Deeposted 11 years ago

These are the Jewish spring feasts. They represent and were fulfilled in Christ's first coming. The remaining three of their seven feasts are held in the fall. They represent and will be fulfilled with Christ's second coming.

1. renegadetory profile image60
      renegadetoryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Feast of tabernacles, Feats of Trumpets and Day of Atonement are fall feasts... Passover and Pentecost are spring feasts

2. Ms Dee profile image85
      Ms Deeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, right. I read it in too much of a rush. Thanks for the correction.

9. SwordofManticorE profile image69
    SwordofManticorEposted 11 years ago

This is how I understand the three festivals and how it is part of God's plan. Passover is the sacrificial lamb the Jews were required for their sins. Christ was the lamb for us all who was also sacrificed by His Father for the sins of the world. During the feast of weeks (Pentecost), It was also known as the first harvest. In Acts 2, we see that the disciples became apostles on Pentecost and the birth of the ecclesia (Assembly). The feast of booths (Tabernacle) is in celebration of the end of the forty years Israel was lost in exile in the wilderness. Israel would gather all the rest of the harvest and celebrate with all who were there both Jew and gentile for seven days.  Exactly forty years after Christ's death, all of Israel gathered in Jerusalem to celebrate the feast of Booths, and that is when it happened. At AD70, Syrian Romans laid siege to the city. It was also the second coming of Christ. So, how does this fit in God's plan? There are in my opinion four parts of the plan. The events that lead Moses to have the feasts, the feasts, the events of Christ's death and resurrection, the birth of the ecclesia, and the end of the old covenant  age. And fourth, the alpha and the omega and the start to finish, the salvation of all mankind, starting in order. Christ the first fruit, those in Christ (believers or first fruits) and the rest of mankind at the consummation (the fulfillment).

1Cor 15:20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. 24 Then the end (consummation) will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 27 For he “has put everything under his feet.”[c] Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ. 28 When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.

1. profile image0

you obviously interpret these jewish things through christian doctrines and traditions, going back to the new testament.

2. SwordofManticorE profile image69

Does this interpretation offend you?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)