Can a "real" Christian interpret the Bible without condemnation.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

Can a "real" Christian interpret the Bible without condemnation.

I study and preach and learn about the Bible every single day. I have been involved with church in a lay minister or pastor position for over a decade. And I can seriously say that I can interpret the entire Bible, Catholic or Protestant, and find a loving interpretation to every verse. I can honestly say that I find nothing that tells me I should make decisions regarding damnation.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7823075_f260.jpg

2. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 11 years ago

I hear you plain and clear.  I, too, can find good out of many verses and I get ridiculed for that too.  I find nothing about us judging and damning anyone yet many other, that claim they know the Bible do.  I also am a minister since 2004, yet I chose not to take the seminary or college to study.  I studied on my own with the guidance of whom is within me--God and Jesus and his Kingdom.

Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, that was really nice, I know it sounds pop psychology but your comment let me feel validated.

2. celafoe profile image55
      celafoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LG __Based on you support of non scriptural doctrines, such as your support of homosexuality and others you are not qualified to minister the Word of God.  I rebuke for supporting such evil doctrines

3. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cel, why do you attack people who do not believe as you do?  Is that also NON Biblical or do you like to instigate fights which is also NON Biblical according to what Jesus taught.

4. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are correct LG. Yahshua taught that if someone didn't hear His, or their words not to judge, just leave them alone.
      John 12:47
      And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the worl

5. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Tnx Deb.  Cel has taken it o HIMSELF to condemn me.  I dunno why but he is a very caustic person in all this accusing. He has no idea what a Christian is outside of his dogma.

3. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

A Real Christian does everything without condemnation.    Unfortunately those professing to be Christians that are more interested in protecting their sacred cows than in learning the truths of scripture, think correction, questions and disagreement with the things that they either cannot or are unable to defend with scripture in context , take exposure of error as a personal attack.
    Most denominations are NOT Christian, although they profess to be so they produce church people not Christians.   To be sure ,there are real Christians in every group , but that does not make a group Christian any more than belonging to the group makes a person a Christian.    Going to church has nothing to do with being a Real Christian, an individual, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
    and following HIM is the ONLY measure of Christianity.  Fellowship with other Christians is something that Real Christians do.   But as long as there are two or more meeting in HIS name , they are fulfilling scripture.
    A Real Christian is offended when the scriptures are offended, when Jesus is attacked,  when people professing to be Christians do things that they should not, but especially when people teach things that do not line up with scripture and say that they are promoting the Word of God.    The scriptures are clear that we who profess to teach others are to be judged by a higher standard.   If we teach publicly then we have to accept   being corrected publicly.    This seems to be a no-no to those that do not understand the importance of scripture truth.   I agree with the importance of love, but many that are always talking about love is the most important thing need to understand there are 28 different kinds of love in the scripture.     And that real and true love is saying and doing what NEEDS to be said or done, not what is desired.     I upset people because they do not understand i love them enough to let them hate me when i tell them the truth, because I know scripture says when they become real Christians they will love me.   And I have seen it happen so many times.   We cannot be people pleasers we must be God Pleasers.    We are to devote our life to God no matter what men think, what men think has no eternal value.   What God thinks has all eternal value.   Pleasing men can keep us out of the Kingdom of God, Pleasing God guarantees our entrance into HIS Kingdom.
    God bless you as YOU follow HIM.

Celafoe, did I tell you about my youth parishioners using apps to check up on what I preach. It is totally cool. Boom, the pastors' sermon is checked against scripture real time. So in order to teach my Gospel of Love, I have to be right on with trut

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Celafoe, if I had a penny for every time someone draws a distinction between real Christians and those that are not...... You do not know what goes on inside someone else's head or how they pray in their private closet. How can you be the judge?

3. celafoe profile image55

DH-- i read we will know them by their fruit, your bible doesn't say that??   But I do not judge anyone nor does Christ, just their fruit, they judge themselves. He just confirms the judgement they have taken for for themselves.

4. Ericdierker profile image45

Seems to me that Celafoe and DH are compatible. One thing we cannot escape is judgment of ourselves.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Cel, read this hub.  It is interested, no?  http://theophanes.hubpages.com/hub/Pope … You-Forget

6. celafoe profile image55

LG-- I am not interested in reading catholic or and other cult materials.    Catholocism is not a Christian religion so it has no value to me.

7. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Cel, I am not interested in what you say anymore because all you can do is point fingers at anyone who tries to discuss things here or anywhere that you have commented.  You say I am confused?  Yeah Right! NOT.

4. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 11 years ago

Eric, if I understand your question correctly you do not see evidence for the doctrines of hell, eternal torment and banishment, or annihilation. I do not either, and such ideas are contrary to David's claims of everlasting love, and everything I understand about the nature of a loving Father.

I see horrible concepts portrayed, but I see them as true. But only as metaphors. Torment and annihilation are real but we cause it for ourselves. The depictions in the Bible are like a great big and loud horn steering us away from harm and toward lo

5. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 11 years ago

yes, and they do their best every blessed day.

And you have the heart of a warrior and a healer. I am proud you joined us here. Your sentiment so the appreciation our country should have of you.

6. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 11 years ago

Are you reading the same Bible? Jesus preached more on Hell than He did on Heaven.  Have you read Jesus' Words?  God is love, but He is also a God of justice.  God HATES sin, but loves the sinner.  You cannot truly read the Bible and find only love & peace!

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Emily you are just repeating a throw away line. Ditch the flawed KJV and look at a concordance. Count up the uses of heaven and Gehenna and you will see for yourself the truth. Gehena is not hell it is the Ben Hinnom valley.

2. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Emily Sparks, don't just make false statements, give scripture to prove what you say

3. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do believe I sensed a parishioner here spewing what a preacher said. I could be wrong. But I see no love in this response but rather a automaton reaction. Again I could be wrong.

7. lifetips123 profile image55
    lifetips123posted 11 years ago

In my personal interpretation, we cant interpret bible without condemnation as bible specifies much about condemnation because of the sin which permeates mankind.

“Your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden His face from you so that He does not hear” (Isaiah 59:2).

Word condemnation is exactly having the same meaning of damnation, judgment, punishment, destruction, and verdict.

So more exactly, condemnation means “the banishing to hell all those disobedient to the will of God” (Matthew 5:22; Matthew 23:33; Matthew 25:41) and those who deny Him (Matthew 10:33; Mark 16:16; John 3:18).

Also, the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:3-17) were part of the Old Covenant or Law, which was also called “the ministry of death” or “ministry of condemnation” (2 Corinthians 3:7-9).

Who is we? I can and do. So my question is where did you get the rule: "we cant interpret bible without condemnation"

2. lifetips123 profile image55
      lifetips123posted 11 years agoin reply to this

With we, i just mean us and i read that

“Your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden His face from you so that He does not hear” (Isaiah 59:2).

And I read that as a great suggestion on what not to do. But if you read it literally it violates the premise that nothing can separate you from your God. So your interpretation must be wrong.

8. profile image49
    KristinaHinkleposted 11 years ago

While you can pick out bits of the Bible and say that, standing alone, it's a very good idea or great advice and you would be right, you shouldn't ignore the bits that you don't like. The ones about slavery, or marriages, or...shellfish, say.

The Bible is a very useful tool, a kind companion to many thousands of people who are and who have been. But I would say that no - you can't, or shouldn't, interpret The Bible without damnation. That's just as much a part of it as His eternal love.

But you are not saying if have to read and decide for others are you? It would seem that for me I do not need to worry about it period. But does the Bible instruct me to worry about it for others?

2. WalterPoon profile image67
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ericdierker is right. Reading the Bible should be treated the same way as eating a buffet. You choose those dishes that you like to eat. I used to read the Bible from Pg 1 and never got to finish the book. When I skip Genesis, the going gets easier.

Well If I had a potluck and invited you, I do not think I would follow you around and make you eat everything.

9. profile image54
    graceinusposted 11 years ago

Eric- I want to understand the bible, not just interpretate it. I believe there is a big difference between interpretation and understanding. Interpretation leaves room for err, understanding does not.

I get your point. And I get the point that we say "Living Bible". But it is just a thing. Jesus is the Word. That must be understood. Although divinely inspired the Book is of man. Can we know Jesus with out the book - yes. Can we know the book w/o J

10. JimTxMiller profile image77
    JimTxMillerposted 10 years ago

That's an assertion; not a question. What's your question?

Yes you are right I forgot the question mark at the end. But otherwise how could I possibly make it more of a question "can a real Christian interpret the bible without condemnation? "

11. WalterPoon profile image67
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

Can a "real" Christian interpret the Bible without condemnation? Nope, unless he use his brain.

Very funny thanks for the levity

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)