Which is MOST important to you, Privacy or Safety?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image53
    graceinusposted 11 years ago

Which is MOST important to you, Privacy or Safety?

In light of current events in the past 10 or so years, both privacy and safety has become less and less sure. We all wish and hope for the best of both, but if you could ony be sure of one which would you choose. You could say it like asking which do you value the most, the chicken or the egg?

2. Purpose Embraced profile image84
    Purpose Embracedposted 11 years ago

Well, for me, although I value my privacy, my safety takes priority. I think there will always be my need to feel safe. But the fact is, in today's world there are so many factors that infringe on my personal safety, which in turn attempt to diminish my privacy.

It means that I need an anchor in these times when the world seems to be an unsafe place in so many ways. For me, it is my my personal faith in Jesus Christ. I am sometimes frightened when I hear or read of the happenings all over the world, and in my own country. But I find assurance and a sense of safety in God's words, "I will never leave you."

1. profile image53
      graceinusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Purpose Embraced- Thank you very much for your answer. I believe that God Has His set time when He will intervene in mans affairs. At which time the matters of privacy and safety will no longer be an issue. For now, faith in Christ is what we need.

3. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

Most people feel safe in private.
    As for the chicken and egg debate. I suppose it comes down to one's faith. If you believe God created Adam and Eve as (adults) instead of (infants) then logic would dictate that every other animal or plant that was created was also done in it's adult form as well.
    The chicken came before the egg! (no applause required) LOL!

1. profile image53

Thank you for your answer dashingscorpio.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I don't believe that the two are mutually exclusive. I value privacy because generally speaking I can take care of my own safety.

1. profile image53

duffsmom- I am happy to know  that you have the means to ensure your own personal safety without relying on state or government. Thanks for your answer.

5. manatita44 profile image71
    manatita44posted 11 years ago

Safety is a word with broad connotations and implies protection, shelter, well-being and freedom from danger. it is motivated by Survival, the first instinct. That is why we look right and left when crossing the road, or feel fear or insecurity walking down a dark alley or even in a relationship. Consciously or sub-consciously we want to stay alive.

This wanting to hold on to life is experienced even in a hospital setting. We feel this in major disasters like fire or earthquake's, when bombs go of, etc ...
    Security is far superior to privacy. Some of us are happy talking about the numerous men or women in our lives, our ill health and even medical records, and again, even if these things became known, they may not immediately threaten our lives. Still, like all things in life, there is always a connection. I may not tell you that someone I am dating have HIV (privacy), but I will probably wear a condom. Why? Because I do not wish to die (survival) I may not give you my address or tell you how many computers I have at home.

Actually, I do not fear theft. I fear the loss and the implications in a financial sense or a potential attack on my person. I am used to warmth, shelter, food, security and a warm environment, things that are all necessary to life. Ultimately, all we do spring from an effort either conscious or non-conscious, to say alive. Survival (security) s the instinct. Privacy is related but much lower down this necessary ladder. The next instinct is the sexual one, although privacy is present there also. Security and privacy are related, but security is far superior. Survival is an innate instinct, privacy is a mental concept acquired as we grow up. Children do not think of this.

1. profile image53

Manatita44- There is much truth in what you have said,  There are many in this world that do not have even the basic in needs and personal safely is formost on their minds. We as Americans take much for granted. Thank you and God bless.

6. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

I do not believe these two things are mutually exclusive.   I believe   the scriptures tell me that if I walk daily with God as He (the Holy Spirit) directs me that my safety is His concern and not mine and I have seen His protection from some  very serious consequences.   Usually by the small still voice that says don't go there or don't do that or do this (which usually makes no sense to my natural mind).   The key to the safety of a Christian is that he be where  God wants him, when He wants him there and is not where God does not want to be when he should not be there.
    Now DO NOT misunderstand me-- I am not perfect so I do not always do this, but because that my life goal is to always do this He has always been there with His mercy for me when i missed it.    That may not always be the case.    And we also need to remember that sometimes people are allowed to be martyred for His purposes.   Let me give an example of why I do not concern myself with my safety, only with being in constant touch with Him.   
    Some years ago I was ministering in Indonesia.  I had been there 2 weeks and had another 2 weeks to go. I had a date I needed to be home.  I called to get my return flight.   There were none available..  so I called and begged the lady to put me on the wait list even though it was too long.    The next day I got a phone call from the airline telling me that tomorrow there was an opening at 1 pm and that if I did not take it there would be no chance of getting home on time.    After I received the phone call I had the people in the meeting all pray with me , is this you God sending me home .   We all agreed it was God that sent that ticket.   I called the person scheduling my meetings and told her that I had to leave.   She said if I would cover the morning meeting she would see that when i finished  they would have my ticket all fixed for me and transport to the airport.     The man that invited me was in the mountains with another minister, with no way to communicate with us .  Just before I finished the morning meeting there was a noise across the room and someone said the man was here
    So I finished and went to the car and there he was waiting to take me to the airport.   I asked "what are you doing here" and he said "God told me last night you were going home today...2 weeks later i was told that, the day after i left there was rioting in the streets and anything American from cars to people was being attacked and people were hospitalized.   There is no privacy for a minister.

1. profile image53

celafore- I do believe that God will put situations or events in our path that has kept us from harms way. There are people , like yourself,  keep a ear out for His voice and will listen. Great answer and thank you.

2. BlossomSB profile image77
      BlossomSBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for telling us such a great faith story.

7. Cordelia Bay profile image61
    Cordelia Bayposted 11 years ago

Personally, I think that both safety and privacy walk hand in hand....finding within the definition of each a since of security. That security can truly only be found in one's salvation because no matter what happens in this life as we know it....salvation is the only true safety that one has....and, maybe because of our confession to salvation it is no longer private. But, God can put a hedge around us that blinds the enemy from finding out private things and exposing them....or, simply, keep one hidden from the sights of the enemy....too, letting the enemy see that "He that is in us is greater than he that is in the world."

8. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

I look out for the safety of those in my charge, children, wife, family, clients and neighbors. I do not look out for my own safety. Of course seat belts and smoke & carbon detectors and a good toothpaste, are just common sense but the rest of my safety is left to God, no concern to me. Our life must not be lived taking safety of physical too seriously.

My privacy is only in my head, the only important being that would know about me privately already does. No fig leaf will change that. Why did Peter dress before swimming ashore to meet Jesus? He was all naked and fishing with his pards. But before Jesus he thought he needed all his clothes. We humans are funny about our privacy.
    If I am doing something I need to keep really private -- I should not be doing it. Light on the hillside and all that, not under a basket stuff.

1. profile image53

Eric-  As always thank you again for your  answer

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)