What is your favorite street food?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (61 posts)
  1. vespawoolf profile image91
    vespawoolfposted 10 years ago

What is your favorite street food?

Where can it be found? (image by WorldAccent)

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7934957_f260.jpg

2. Blond Logic profile image93
    Blond Logicposted 10 years ago

That would have to be churros. I found some in Portugal, I think it was in Porto.

vespawoolfposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Churros! They're also a street food in Peru. They're like log-shaped donuts filled with manjar or caramel. I bet they're delicious in Portugal!

2. AppliedVisual profile image60
      AppliedVisualposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can find them in Venice, CA too.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

The taste I can't forget are the 'marquesitas' you find in Merida, Mexico.  They're thin crepe-like pastries that turn crisp and crunchy when they are rolled into a tube shape and cooled just a bit.  They're filled with yummy things like shredded cheese or Nutella, among other things.  They are delicious, and addictive.  The parks are filled with stands (carts) where you can buy them freshly made, and you can also get them on the streets or in one of the many plazas around the city.

I've never heard of marquesitas, but you can be sure I'll try one when I have a chance. I find any crisp pastry irresistible. :   )

4. gags3480 profile image60
    gags3480posted 10 years ago

I would say it's Indian Panipuri. By far the cheapest & most delicious Indian Street food.

When I make it to India I'll definitely have to taste it! We love Indian cuisine.

5. Amber Vyn profile image61
    Amber Vynposted 10 years ago

My favorite street foods are savory empanadas (with beef, carrots, etc.) and paletas (coconut!).

Oooh, empanadas and paletas are popular in Peru, too. Yum!

6. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 10 years ago

Hi! vespawoolf, my favourite street food is banana cue, roasted peanuts and cooked sweetcorn cobs with butter (yummy) if I am in the Philippines. Here in England it would be fish and chips. I just love my food.

Wow, that's a nice variety of tasty foods! I've never tried the Philippino specialties, but we sampled fish & chips in England. Very delicious.

2. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Liesl - what is banana cue?

7. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

For me, I'll have to go with praline pecans for the sweet tooth. But it's a hard choice! And there's nothing like a Philadelphia pretzel with mustard!

Praline pecans are hard to beat. I'm glad you mentioned a street food from Philadelphia. :  )

2. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yum!

8. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image96
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 10 years ago

I'll try almost anything, but my favorite is a bratwurst brotchen (hard roll) from street vendors in Germany with lots of mustard.  Nothing better!

My goodness, that sounds wonderful. Germany is on our bucket list so you never know, maybe someday I'll get to try it!

9. nArchuleta profile image73
    nArchuletaposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7936434_f260.jpg

Anything from the street vendors in Marrakech. In the evening the Medina fills with tourists and locals. There's a whole section of the plaza with a dozen vendors cooking fresh, delicious food such as kebap, fish, and tajine. Rimming the food sellers are people like this young man selling fresh-squeezed orange juice. All of it is fresh and so flavorful in a way the food trucks here in the States could never achieve.

Marrakech sounds like a food lover's paradise! I also enjoy fresh-squeezed orange sold on the streets here in Peru. The vendor pours it into a bag, pops in a straw and voila! Orange juice to go.

2. Seafarer Mama profile image78
      Seafarer Mamaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yum! This sounds refreshing!

10. Kalmiya profile image66
    Kalmiyaposted 10 years ago

There are many street foods I like but I would have to say a good tamale. The best I've found in Mexico so far have been in the Cancun area. The tamale sellers usually come out in the evenings with their steaming pots on the street. Inside you find little packets of corn meal mixed with meats and spices, sometimes mole the 20+ ingredient Mexican traditional sauce that includes chocolate!, and sometimes even tomato sauce, all rolled up in corn husks and steamed/boiled in the pot. They are really inexpensive, very tasty and very filling!

Tamales are made here in Peru, but I prefer Mexican tamales. I've never had one with mole, but I'm sure it would be an instant favorite. Thanks for your interesting and mouth-watering answer!

11. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 10 years ago

There are a lot of interesting answers here, but I have been most of these places and have to tell you that the best street food is acarajé, an African fritter made with black eyed pea batter. The fritters are boiled in dendê oil, then filled with shrimp, a sauce made of okra, and topped with chopped green tomatoes (very fine, about 5mm).
    My mouth is watering!!!

I don't have much experience with African cuisine, but you're making my mouth water, too! I'll have to see if I can find a recipe online. Thank you!

12. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 10 years ago

The Panipuri and Papdi Chaat, are my favorite street food, especially of Delhi. They are mouth watering, refreshing and good for digestion too.

I love the crunchy texture and tangy flavor of Papdi Chaat. I've never tried Panipuri, but I'm sure it's also delicious. I'll look into making it at home. Thanks for your comment!

13. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

You have to be old like me to get the essence. There was an really cool actor named Andy Griffith. He played a role -- Matlock, a wily old ethical trial attorney. And he would eat outside on the street of the Courthouse and savor. Hot dogs.

Exotic is awesome and I sometimes crave an ojos y cabezas from Mx. or a tripe Pho' from VN or schtrudel or baklava. But Hot dogs are the one food that are best on the street.

That's right, Andy Griffith did eat hotdogs outside of the Courthouse! Sometimes it's nice to go back to basics. Thanks for your comment, Ericdierker.

14. Seafarer Mama profile image78
    Seafarer Mamaposted 10 years ago

Love to eat warm, soft pretzels from city street vendors...in NY, and even Boston.

Also enjoy the burrito "bar" at Downtown Crossing in Boston when I am working downtown. :0)

Yum--warm, soft pretzels and burritos. I could eat them right now!

15. profile image0
    richard alburoposted 10 years ago

My favorite street foods are kwek kwek and one day old .Kwek  kwek are hard boiled duck egg  covered with thick batter mixture then deep fried .Best with white vinegar ,chopped garlic ,chopped onion and little bit salt and pepper . One day old are also duck egg but already formed chicks ,but little bit undevelope . You take out of shell , steame and then deep  fry .

It's interesting to read about foods from other cultures. I've heard about the undeveloped duck eggs but have never tasted them. The chopped garlic, onion and vinegar says delicious!

16. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 10 years ago

Roasted chestnuts and boiled corn on the early evening Autumn's Vienna streets, the classical music fills the air, the street lights dimly reflects on passers by holding the hot paper bags like treasures from the Gods. The red and yellow leaves are gently falling of the one hundred old chestnut trees around you while you close your eyes tasting one hot one on your tounge and you feel just right:)

Thank you for your evocative description of enjoying hot chestnuts on a cool Vienna evening!

2. Seafarer Mama profile image78
      Seafarer Mamaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I love this description, too!

17. JimTxMiller profile image76
    JimTxMillerposted 10 years ago

We don't have street food where I live unless you count road kill.

1. SidKemp profile image85

Yum! Roadkill!

2. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub on a roadkill recipe, but they made me change it to small critter recipe. I do insist that the stable's flat nose shovel be hosed or at least dipped before spatulating the thing.

3. vespawoolf profile image91

Yuck!

18. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 10 years ago

I like many of the previously mentioned, but my favorite is alcapurria. It's the favorite street food here in Puerto Rico.

What is alcapurria like? (A beautiful word, by the way)

2. IslandBites profile image89
      IslandBitesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is grated green banana and yautia (a root vegetable common in the Caribbean) fritter stuffed with seasoned ground beef. In some beach kiosks you can also  find alcapurrias de jueyes (stuffed with crab).

3. SidKemp profile image85

Thanks! Yum!

4. vespawoolf profile image91

Fried fritters are always yummy and the island version sounds even better.

19. AppliedVisual profile image60
    AppliedVisualposted 10 years ago

Po-boys, I'm a New Orleans native. But traveling thru Cali I come to love Churros.

It's nice you enjoy the local specialties.

20. webrevolve profile image67
    webrevolveposted 10 years ago

Fish 'n' chips from Blackpool smile - apparently one of the healthiest fast foods to buy from fast food shops. Chinese fast food is one of the worst for food poisoning in the UK - all down to the rice apparently!

Interesting! I'll stick to the fish 'n' chips next time we travel!

21. Kevin Peter profile image60
    Kevin Peterposted 10 years ago

It is kabab. This comes in a cylindrical shape around a stick. It is had with some kind of liquid that tastes sour.

I love kabab!

22. profile image50
    pacitaposted 10 years ago

vegetable lumpia,fried chicken,noodles,fried fish.

Hi Pacita - what's lumpia?

2. vespawoolf profile image91

I've never had vegetable lumpia but it all sounds yummy.

23. Chris Achilleos profile image78
    Chris Achilleosposted 10 years ago

Hmm, I would say Hot Dogs with mustard, ketchup and carmelized onions, jacket potatoes, mini donuts and pretzels. Yum! You got me hungry with this question smile

Chris Achilleos, I'm off to get a hot dog with carmelized onions now! Mini donuts aren't a bad idea, either. :   )

2. SidKemp profile image85

If you're going to put ketchup on a hot dog, watch out for Dirty Harry! See "Ketchup on Hot Dogs" by SpartucusJones for details of this warning.

24. Cardia profile image76
    Cardiaposted 10 years ago

Tapiocas in Brazil!
    It's just like a tortilla (made with cassava flour) that is fried, and then they put whatever filling you want in it. It can be either sweet or savoury, and things like ham, cheese, chicken, coconut or Nutella can be added. They then close it like an omelette, so it's like a half-circle. My favourite combo is shrimp and cheese - sounds strange, but amazing.

I've recently moved to northeastern Brazil, and I've quickly become addicted to them. Vendors can be found everywhere, and they're pretty inexpensive, and the vendors always stuff them with the filling. I would definitely recommend them smile

I'm hungry, so this isn't a good time to read such a mouth-watering description of tapiocas. :   ) We may travel to Brazil soon, so we'll add it to our list of foods to try! Thanks!

25. breathing profile image49
    breathingposted 8 years ago

1.    People’s choice of favourite street foods differs depending on the difference of personal taste, culture and even country. Personally I prefer chicken sticks and kabab. But here I will discuss a few street foods that are famous in different parts of the world. This will help you to think about street foods in a new dimension:

    Vada Pav of India is a very popular street food. Most of the people visiting India have highly complemented this food.
        Eating rice and chicken on the street, isn’t it a great feeling? Singapore chicken rice will give you this ecstatic feeling.
        Mexican quesadillas are a treat to eat. In fact according to many it is the best street food all around the world.
        Signara of Bangladesh is a good street food. Also it is very cheap. You can get even 20+ pieces in just $1!
        Egypt is mainly famous for Pyramids.  But the sugar cane juice of Egypt is a great street food.
    These are only a few. There are many other good and quality street foods. You can choose anyone according to your taste. After all tasting different foods in different cultures is itself a great experience!

26. profile image0
    Diana Abrahamsonposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13510737_f260.jpg

Fish bought at a harbour accompanied with fries. Love fresh fish caught that day! Served with a salad is also an option.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)