God has created only two human beings. Then how come the next generation came in

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (85 posts)
  1. Kevin Peter profile image60
    Kevin Peterposted 10 years ago

God has created only two human beings. Then how come the next generation came into existance?

Adam and Eve were the two human beings. They had only two children. Both were males. Who did they marry to form the next generation of human beings?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7954174_f260.jpg

2. capon profile image59
    caponposted 10 years ago

Hello Kevin. May I ask where it is that you are getting your information from? ("They had only two children. Both were males.")
    Maybe you are reffering to the two first born, Cain and Able?
    Tony

3. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 10 years ago

Some theologists suggest that there were other humans on the planet when God created Adam and Eve.  They just were not in the garden of Eden.

1. cascoly profile image60
      cascolyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

yep 'some' theologists and ALL scientists

4. stanwshura profile image72
    stanwshuraposted 10 years ago

Full disclosure here:  I do not believe the Adam and Eve story.  That would have to have been a very incestuous beginning to humanity.  I dismiss much of the Bible, and all dogmatic religion for the same reason.  I am an agnostic.  Only evolution can explain the ways of the earth, including the development of mankind.

1. capon profile image59
      caponposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are you not treating the theory of evolution (as opposed to the law of evolution) as "Gospel?"

2. stanwshura profile image72
      stanwshuraposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No.  I am not worshipping it.  It's the best explanation science has come up with so far.  If research, experiments, and peer- and publically-scrutinized analytical work and evidence points elsewhere, then that shall be what I trust as the truth.

3. capon profile image59

Hello Stanwshura, let me agree with you that evolution [in its various versions] is the best explanation science has come up with so far, but I would add, that doesn't involve God. Why do you think there is not 1 theory of evolution?

4. cascoly profile image60

that's the point - evolution explains it all without the need of any god

like all scientific theories there continue to be changes as new information is available - something that cant be said for the bible which is still selling the same fairy tale

5. capon profile image59

Hello Cascoly, I agree "evolution explains it all without the need of any god." But for that reason alone does it prove it is true?
      Scientific theories, if correct, become "The law of ..............." They don't continually evolve. Do they? Tony

6. cascoly profile image60

actually evolution already IS as solid a law as gravity or Newton 's-- but like those, new discoveries chamge things - such as Einstein's theories of relativity, even if evolution were false, the bible still wouldn't be a valid explanation

7. capon profile image59

Hello Cascoly, Can you tell me which particular theory of evolution you you refer too when you say "evolution already IS as solid a law"? I do hope its the hopeful monster theory! PS you have me wrong if you think I do not believe in some evolution.

8. cascoly profile image60

LAW of evolution -- The change in genetic composition of a population over successive generations, which may be caused by natural selection and mutation.

9. capon profile image59

Hello Cascoly. Am I missing something? I'm well aware that there are something like 13 theories of evolution, but as far as I know there is no Law of evolution.

10. cascoly profile image60

yep, you're definitely missing something.....

11. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
      LoisRyan13903posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe in evolution

12. cascoly profile image60

that's nice, but what does it add to the discussion?

5. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 10 years ago

i assume this is a trick question.  since it is not asking a truthful question . The bible first tells about two sons, then later about the third son and then in chapter5 verse  4 of genesis it tells about his other sons and daughters, which is where the sons wives came from.   There was no problem in that because of the purity of the race at that time.   So the answer is they married their sisters.

sorry, inbreeding is inbreeding, no matter how 'pure' it starts out and there would be consequences.  this is just a pseudo scientific way to try to get around the basic absurdity  of the 2 person creation myth

2. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

cascoly--- to a heathen yes , to a Christian , not so.  we know God can do whatever He wishes

3. cascoly profile image60

heathens? MOST Christians have no problem realizing the bible is not to be taken literally - it's just the fundamentalists who cant think beyond the book

4. LoisRyan13903 profile image62

Can you prove this is a myth?

5. cascoly profile image60

it's not up to me -- you and your friends made the false claim that the bible is literally true - it's up to you to provide some actual evidence that the bible fairy tale is true.  just quoting the bible over & over doesn't make it true

6. taburkett profile image57
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

they married the women who were also created for them.
    as a test of God's presence, you can dig a hole in a healthy vacant lot.
    a healthy lot is one that holds water when it rains.
    dig your hole big enough that it will fill and hold water after it rains even when the sun comes out.
    in less than 2 months, you will see tadpoles swimming there.
    in less than 2 years, you will see fish swimming there.
    then you can ask - where did those things come from.........

1. celafoe profile image54

there were no women created for them, there were woman produced by their parents (sisters) that they married.  The tadpoles come from frogs with legs that walked to the water and laid their eggs.   What a crazy attempted analogy you gave.

2. Borsia profile image40
      Borsiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Unless there are eggs brought in from somewhere all you will have is water.
      Tadpoles and fish don't just appear out of thin air.
      Don't believe me? Start with  sterilized ground and cover the water, nothing will appear. Biology 101.

7. Isa28 profile image58
    Isa28posted 10 years ago

Not only that, but after Cain murders his brother the next verse says he goes over the hill and marries into another tribe!

1. Insightful Tiger profile image74
      Insightful Tigerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually, Genesis 4:16,17 says that he moved east, laid with his wife, and started a city named "Enoch" after his son. That wife could have been his sister.

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image62

It does not really say how old Cain was when this happened.  So Adam and Eve may have had many daughters before Seth was born.

8. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 10 years ago

What ever happened to Seth?  Adam and Eve's third-born went on to have many offsprings and great-offsprings. Marriage, as we know it, didn't happen. Seth came along when Adam was over a hundred years old. Adam continued to father boys and girls for another several hundred years. If all humankind stem from Adam and Eve, then some pretty close mating must have occurred. The problems now associated with incestual relationships likely did not crop up in the less contaminated gene pool of the day.

9. profile image0
    KEPitzposted 10 years ago

Just saw an interesting documentary about the Bible mysteries explained. There were other tribes of humans on the planet at the time. The Bible only addresses Adam and Eve - who were in the Garden of Eden - separate from the other tribes. I think I also heard something about Cain actually being another woman's son with Adam - not Eve's.
    I've got a lot of ideas, opinions and theories about this subject, and tend to be a bit overly enthusiastic when expressing them - so I won't start into my rant here. (Ya all dodged a bullet, there!)
    smile

you definatey read a "story", a fable.  Not a scriptural or historical document.

Was this other woman mentioned in the Bible?

10. Insightful Tiger profile image74
    Insightful Tigerposted 10 years ago

I'm trying to submit a hub that answers this question, but while the "duplicate" alert is being investigated...
    the short answer is this:
    Adam had other sons and daughters. Cain, just like his brothers, probably lived until he was around 900 years old. In that time he probably married a sister or niece, because the human genome was probably devoid of birth defects to choose from.
    Look at chapter 5 in Genesis and the answer is there.
    hope this helps.

1. Isa28 profile image58
      Isa28posted 10 years agoin reply to this

And you actually believe this!

2. Insightful Tiger profile image74
      Insightful Tigerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Believe what I am saying? Or believe that the Bible is inspired by God? Or believe that the Bible is accurate? Can you be more specific?

3. LoisRyan13903 profile image62

I do do you have a problem with it?  I don't have a problem if you do not believe?

11. Disappearinghead profile image59
    Disappearingheadposted 10 years ago

First of all you are assuming that the A&E story is a true reportage account. However studies of mitochondrial DNA taken from people all over the shows our ancestors came out of Africa some 100,000-ish years ago. However it is believed that we all descend from a single female. All except for the other indigenous people's who remained in Africa.

and the Eve hypothesis does not mean there was only one woman at that time, just that current humans are descended from 1 woman - big difference - see http://cascoly.hubpages.com/hub/Adam-an … Love-Story

2. Disappearinghead profile image59
      Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed cascoly, but then I never actually said there was only on woman in existence at the time.

right - I understood you weren't making that claim -- but creationists do cherry pick evidence and misrepresent the eve hypothesis as proof of the adam & eve story

4. Disappearinghead profile image59

I'm not a creationist.

12. JasonLicerioPH profile image75
    JasonLicerioPHposted 10 years ago

It was said that they were the FIRST people God made. Maybe God made other people after the two.

13. nasser deep profile image71
    nasser deepposted 10 years ago

Eve gave birth to a boy and a girl on every pregnancy . Then a boy from pregnancy number 1 married a daughter from pregnancy number 2 and vice-versa. Yes they were brothers and sisters, but that was the possible solution to prevent a boy marrying his twin sister.

1. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting solution. Too bad there's not a snit of evidence to back it up...interesting none the less.

14. PlanksandNails profile image79
    PlanksandNailsposted 10 years ago

According to the Bible, Adam and Eve had more than two children.

And the days of Adam after he had begotten SETH were eight hundred years: and he begat SONS AND DAUGHTERS: And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died. - Genesis 5:4

By having sons and daughters, the brothers would have to marry sisters; otherwise, there would be no future generations.

15. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 10 years ago

Let's assume the biblical story of creation is rooted in some type of historical fact. Let's assume there is a God who was driving the forces of the beginning of Mankind.  The story references Man in two ways. First, God made man and woman and directed them to be fruitful and multiply. Then, it bounces into another chapter with the story of Adam and Eve. So, from that angle, there were more than two humans to get the population ball rolling.

Even if you take the bizarre miracle of the sudden arrival of everything onto the planet out of the mix; the story still has a point, from a religious angle. Man was actively populating the earth when a line of humanity was selected to become aware of a greater reality. Adam and Eve represent little more than the beginning of the ancestors of the Abrahamic line.

I honestly don't think the story was first intended to pretend that Adam and Eve were the first and only people. I think the story tellers wanted to explain to the listener what made their particular ethnic group special.

what you think does not matter, what God says is the truth

2. cascoly profile image60

yep god forbid we actually THINK about the fairy tales we're told as children

3. Disappearinghead profile image59

Celafoe dear celafoe, what you are saying is that what you interpret from the bible is God's truth and nobody should think anything different. This is how the Church persecuted dissidents.

4. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

celafoe, you must remember it isn't what God said. It's what you were taught to believe God said. The two are not the same. Pretending God said something silly makes your idea of God look silly.

16. Freeway Flyer profile image83
    Freeway Flyerposted 10 years ago

Incest was the only option I assume (if you take Genesis literally). The results of this inbreeding may say a lot about the general intelligence level of the human race, with the fact that  many people take Genesis literally an excellent example.

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image62

Abraham later on in Genesis married his half-sister Sarah.  I think it was same father, different mother

17. relawshe profile image61
    relawsheposted 10 years ago

Just like Insightful Tiger, I too believe that Adam & Eve had MANY other children (obviously they would've had to have many children if their offspring would grow to populate the entire earth!)  And they lived hundreds of years, and their genetic material was not corrupted like ours is nowadays, and it's believed by proponents of this view that their genetic material contained everything that would eventually lead to various skin colors and physical traits.  And as people began to spread out across the earth, their bodies which held all of these genetic possibilities, began to adapt to their new environments. 

"After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters."--Genesis 5:4
    "Adam named his wife Eve, because she would become the mother of all the living."--Genesis 3:20

'believed' id the key word -- there's no EVIDENCE for that idea and it's scientifically absurd, countered by biological FACT;

And there is not evidence that you are correct

ignorance of reality aka science is no excuse -- the bible is not a scientific document aND IS RIDDLED WITH FACTUAL ERRORS

18. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 10 years ago

Not that I profess to hold Christian/Jewish beliefs, but according to several ancient Hebrew doctrines, Lilith was Adam's first wife. If so, I would see where A&E's children could find mates outside their direct sibling pool. These children of A&E could even have taken these mates without the incest factor, as Lilith was known to have more lovers than just Adam.

that begs the question -- where did Lilith's OTHER lovers come from?

2. bethperry profile image83
      bethperryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe Lilith was a Hebrew representation for the earth mother, and as such maligned to begin with by their interpretation of Her. But yeah, it'd be interesting to know the answer to that, if just to satisfy the curiosity.

well, if Lilith was the earth mother, then adam was the first to commit the sin of onan

4. LoisRyan13903 profile image62

Is Lilith mentioned in the Bible?

5. profile image53
      abt79posted 10 years agoin reply to this

nope. where this person got that idea i dont know

6. ananceleste profile image60
      anancelesteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Like Beth mentioned, this character appears in other Jewish scripture. The Legend goes that... you know what... this could be an interesting hub to educate those that don't know Lilith's story.

19. profile image49
    smith143posted 10 years ago

Good question. Something to be thought seriously. How could brothers and sisters marry each other? Maybe it was not a problem in the past.

genetics hasn't changed - if they committed incest, the population that resulted would have the same genetic problems we see today with inbred popultaions

20. WalterPoon profile image69
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

Let's forget about Adam and Eve for the moment and talk about the Great Flood. Who were on that Ark? Only Noah, his wife, his 3 sons and 3 wives... except for these 8 people, every other person died... a second round of incest.

"And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man: All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died. And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

According to Wikipedia, there are presently some 5 million species of both plants and animals. Where do these come from, given that they did not survive the Great Flood? Was there a Second Genesis?

simple answer is there was no great flood - it's yet another fairy tale from the bible

2. WalterPoon profile image69
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cascoly, you are right. Wikipedia calls the Great Flood, a myth: "It has been postulated that the deluge myth may be based on a sudden rise in sea levels, caused by the rapid draining of Lake Agassiz, at the end of the last Ice Age, 8,400 years ago.

3. Borsia profile image40

Consider this, given the number of species at that time, if you loaded 1 every 5 seconds it would have taken something like 35 years.
      There was 1 pair of each, what did the predators eat after the flood, most must eat their own weight every 60 day.

21. Aceme profile image58
    Acemeposted 10 years ago

Funny pic and funny question. Yes. i agree Freeway Flyer said:Incest was the only option I assume (if you take Genesis literally). The results of this inbreeding may say a lot about the general intelligence level of the human race, with the fact that many people take Genesis literally an excellent example.

22. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

Just another silly bible myth with no grounds for reality.
    Likewise after Noah's great flood there weren't enough breeders in any species to have genetic strength enough not to have died out soon after. Of course that is probably the weakest fallacy in the whole great flood thing but it is one none the less.

23. profile image49
    ythghgh555posted 10 years ago

back in the old days two gay dudes could make babies.  Then somewhere down the line that part got edited out of the bible.

1. profile image53

haha very funny.

24. Man of Strength profile image72
    Man of Strengthposted 10 years ago

There had to be incest amongst the siblings . Also if we all came from Adam & Eve, aren't we all related, being they're the matriarch & patriarch of the world's family tree?

1. profile image53

actual, it was said that cain moved to the city of Nod (wherever that is and how it came to exist, i don't know) and married a woman.

2. WLeonard59 profile image60
      WLeonard59posted 10 years agoin reply to this

(Leviticus 18:7-17).God forbade intermarriage at the time of Moses to protect the increasing chance of a deformed offspring resulting from such a union. The health of the nation Israel and strength of the family unit was insured by this commandment.

25. profile image53
    abt79posted 10 years ago

Cain, Adam, and Eve are supposedly the only people on Earth. Suddenly:
    Gen 4:17-"Cain had relations with his wife and she conceived"
    THE GENESIS STORY IS NOT LITERAL

1. Borsia profile image40

nor is anything else in the bible, so why base a faith on the bible rather than say Grimm's fairy tales?

26. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 10 years ago

In Hebrew Adam was Adam Kadmon which means mankind in bodies not one man. God created humans not a human. It is a mistranslation

27. erorantes profile image49
    erorantesposted 10 years ago

Love did it. The Love that one felt to the other person.With out thinking about the  children . They were aout to have. It was the creator's plan to have people. Good and bad people. Since then, we had so many good things happening to the world. From inventions to battles  men has being creating good things for the world and had destroyed too. Men found the cure for a lot of sick people too.

28. Martin-ddp profile image81
    Martin-ddpposted 10 years ago

The Next Generation Came because the first Boldly went were no man ever went before. And than came deep space nine (Most likely no one ever gets my jokes so I will have to mention Star Trek and if you still don't get it. Than its just a very bad joke)

29. Claudia Marie profile image62
    Claudia Marieposted 10 years ago

All humans are the offspring of Adam an Eve. Gen 3:20.  Adam and Eve had sons and daughters Gen 5:4. Adams sons and daughters married each other. At that time in human history, humans had outstanding physical health and vitality, as indicated by the length of their lives, Adam was one hundred thirty years old when  he fathered his third son, Adam died at the age of nine hundred and thirty years old Gen 5:3, 5  therefore, the passing on defects as a result of marrying a close relative was not a problem. Two thousand, five hundred years later mankind's physical condition deteriorated, and God gave laws to Israel forbidding incest.

1. Borsia profile image40

How would their respective ages alter the gene pool?
      You are still breeding everyone from the original 2 and genetic defects would  still multiply over time.
      Look at what happened to the royals of Europe.

2. Claudia Marie profile image62
      Claudia Marieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We do not fully understand genetics, near perfect genes would have a different results.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)