Do you feel the internet has made us more gullible?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Blond Logic profile image94
    Blond Logicposted 10 years ago

Do you feel the internet has made us more gullible?

Many people are quick to believe that the internet is the quick road to riches with very little work. My question is,do you feel that more people are gullible than ever before?

photo freedigitalphotos.net and adamr

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8052983_f260.jpg

2. phtech profile image77
    phtechposted 10 years ago

I feel like the Internet has made gullible people more gullible. You almost have to be judgemental and use your gut to avoid being tricked.

Blond Logicposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right. The old adage of  'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is' still works in the digital age.
      Thanks for your answer.

2. phtech profile image77
      phtechposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's pretty easy to trick the uneducated though. Especially people who are looking for a get rich quick idea.

3. Alecia Murphy profile image70
    Alecia Murphyposted 10 years ago

I automatically thought of that State Farm commercial with the neighbors talking and then the girl goes my date's a French model when it's obvious he's not.
    Like phtech said, some people fall for anything offline so changing the setting only enhances that. Just because it's on Wikipedia or on a Social Network doesn't make it gospel just like whatever your coworker said about your boss may only be the result of big ears and no common sense.

Alas I don't know the commercial you are referring to. It's true, "Don't believe everything you read." Thanks

4. Shinkicker profile image54
    Shinkickerposted 10 years ago

I doubt they are more gullible, the fact that mass populations swallow the nonsense and lies that governments and advertisers put out suggests many have always been gullible.

Personally I think the interet has made me less credulous about information. I certainly don't believe that it can be the easy road to riches. Not with my Hub earnings that's for sure LOL

There are so many stories how people work part time on the internet and earn tons of money. Then for just $25 they will share their secret with us. WoW, where do I sign up? LOL Great to hear from you.

5. Borsia profile image38
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

It has simply made people lazy people lazier and given  all people the ability to say anything they want without being challenged for accuracy.
    The gullible will believe anything they hear that in any way agrees with their own ideas no matter how feeble and weak the evidence is.
    Even here on Hubpages I see so many questions asked that would take 10 seconds on Google to get answers for.

Oh goodness, I hope not this question. They feel any exposure is better than none I suppose. Those that are well off, normally are the ones who have struggled, and worked for it.  Thanks for your response.

6. portables profile image68
    portablesposted 10 years ago

I think the opposite - at least now everyone can easily check for facts.

Never have we had so much information available to us and yet many people don't use the internet for that, they use it to chat. Thanks for your answer.

7. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 10 years ago

The internet offers us the opportunity to research information without leaving our chair. If we do not choose to we are not really gullible just lazy. We should know by now nothing worth having comes easy.

Yes we should, but the carrot of easy money is always appealing to some. Thanks for your answer.

8. jaydawg808 profile image80
    jaydawg808posted 10 years ago

Not sure if it has made us more gullible.  But I have learned there are a lot of uneducated and dumb people on the Internet.  I also notice that people can't spell, too.

When people speak socially with friends, it seems to matter less. When they try to express themselves by writing their education or lack of it shows through. There is a generation that is technically advanced and socially inept, I fear.

9. calmclinic profile image60
    calmclinicposted 10 years ago

I don't think it's the internet that made people gullible; we choose to become more of who we are or worse with the tools that we have or are available to us. It's man's intentions and sometimes greed that pushes them to do crazy things.

Yes, it has created a more exaggerated version of ourselves. Thanks for your response.

10. RachaelLefler profile image90
    RachaelLeflerposted 10 years ago

No, being exposed to lots of scams means you spot one a mile away.

It is true for some of us. However, I think there is a portion of the population who continue to fall for them. Thanks for your input.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)