Are you ever able to stay off the Internet for even just one whole day?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Are you ever able to stay off the Internet for even just one whole day?

This question came to me after another hubber answered another question about being on-line each and every day and how hard it is to not get on-line, even for one day.  Do you find it very difficult to not be on-line for even one day, other than being away on vacation?  Thanks for answering.

2. zanaworld profile image57
    zanaworldposted 10 years ago

People are getting addicted to Internet.  Some of day to day activities are net based these days.

For me a day without Internet will be damn difficult.  I trade in shares and I have to constantly monitor my trades.

But if some throws a challenge to stay away from net for a day or two, then I am game for it.  I can stay away from Internet.  Specially when I travel to my home town, I don't get into net.

Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi zanaworld, thanks so much for answering.  Yes, you would be hard pressed to stay away from the Internet with that being the case no doubt!  Yes, when I travel to visit family, that is the perfect time to stay off the Internet.  Great answer.

3. dghbrh profile image80
    dghbrhposted 10 years ago

Yes, i can stay off line nice way. I don find it hard to stay off line for two or three days. But after two days there is a tendency to see whats happening here in hubpages.....and check my mail and all. I am talking about time not in vacation here.

Nice question:-)

Hi deergha, thanks for answering.  Yes, I can do it when my grands are up for the weekend and not get on it at all for a couple of days then.  They are my priority.  But then, as you say, must see what's going on!

4. shanmarie profile image70
    shanmarieposted 10 years ago

Ah, but so much is done online these days, even if only from the convenience of a smart phone (which, by the way, i don't own).  One can do anything from get directions somewhere to check a bank account balance or pay a bill.  TV can even be watched online. With so much online and with access being relatively easy for most, it is no wonder people are on it at least once a day.

Me, it depends. I seem to go through phases of using it several hours a day and periods of not much at all.  When I use it for hours on end I am usually freelance writing and I do come and go from the computer.  Other times, I have not even had access and been content enough.  Much of the net is sort of monotonous anyway after awhile, unless there is a specific intent in mind for being online.

Hi Shan, thanks for answering.  So true, everything is right at one's fingertips no doubt!  I still have a "dumb phone" too : ).  I do use the Internet a lot for getting directions too.  Yes, with on-line banking, YouTube and writing, very hard w/o!

5. PoeticPhilosophy profile image77
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years ago

Yes, as you get older it get's simple. Atleast for me.

Hi PoeticPhilosophy, thanks for the great answer and insight.  So true, no doubt, as one learns to appreciate being in human contact with others and enjoying the outdoors, while we are still here!  Good answer.

6. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years ago

No matter how busy I have to get online a couple times a day. Maybe being here at Hp you are always checking or owing. I do stay online a lot less but I make quick trips in and out, regardless!

Hi Jackie, thanks for answering.  Yes, I do feel the need to check in here, especially at HP, with responding to comments, etc.  It is part of being in the community at HP to do so, and it would be hard to not do so and keep up with everything.

7. Cantuhearmescream profile image76
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years ago

Oh my goodness Faith Reaper... I can't help but laugh! No, I can't stay offline for a whole day, not if I have any control over it. Particularly HP is my addiction and when I have to be away I get anxious about what I'm missing or how far behind I'm falling. Yet when I'm on for hours at a time, I get anxious about what I'm not getting done... ha ha!

Hi Cantuhearmescream, ha ha,  oh, how I can relate to your answer here!!!  Yes, it is a battle no doubt.  HP certainly can be addicting no doubt!  Hp does operate at such a fast pace it seems at times, and we can get lost in a sea of emails from HP!

2. Cantuhearmescream profile image76
      Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The email account I use primarily for HP had about 20 emails when I started here... it's now up to 1361... I can't ever get it to get below 1000! I shudder to think of the people I've left hanging big_smile

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

I know, I have over 7,000 emails, approaching 8,000, but I just do not get around to deleting once I comment, but then I like to read what others say too.  It is good they send out that notification email, so that we can make sure we have responded!

4. shanmarie profile image70
      shanmarieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I sent all my HP notifications to a filtered folder, just skips right past the inbox. haha so I can read new hubs as I can, but so that I don't really miss people I enjoy, even if I'm late to the party, so to speak.

5. Cantuhearmescream profile image76

Now I am a little concerned, as I'm finding HP has been in a habit of not notifying me of every single new hub lately. If I'm lucky I just happen to stumble across them. I probably have people saying "Why, that selfish little Cantuhearmescream!" lol

6. Faith Reaper profile image83

Check your spam every now and then, as a couple of times as most of my HP mail was going into my Spam folder, and of course it is not Spam!  I was horrified when I found hundreds of HP mail there!!!  Had to reset my email settings.

7. Cantuhearmescream profile image76

Ooops! lol... gee, I'm almost afraid to look now big_smile
      Thanks for the tip, lovely lady!

8. Faith Reaper profile image83

You're welcome, Cat, and that may not be the issue, but thought I would just mention that as it happened to me a couple of times.

8. livinggood profile image61
    livinggoodposted 10 years ago

Oh yeah not a problem. I have allot to do in the real world and don't always have time to use the internet. Besides I don't have a smart phone.

Hi livinggood, sounds like you are truly living good.  I still have a "dumb phone" too.  Thanks for answering.

2. Cantuhearmescream profile image76

If I may interject, I finally got a smart phone, but I'm afraid I'm too dumb to use it for such things! lol... the screens are small, navigating is hard and typing long responses is near impossible! lol

Sure, Cat!  LOL, I did get a smart phone at one point, but I, too, was too dumb to figure it out, but then my daughter told me I had gotten a terrible brand, so I told them to send me my dumb phone back. : )

4. Cantuhearmescream profile image76

Want to hear something funny... or sad? My 'smart' phone has a touch screen and I only have girly fingers, but when I try texting... it assumes the 'wrong words' for me. I was over emotional today... and trying to text someone, I started crying! lol

5. Faith Reaper profile image83

Oh me, Cat, it has for sure been a Monday all around for me!  LOL  : (

9. Abby Campbell profile image72
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

Hi Faith. Well, remember it's one of my addictions... HubPages, that is! LOL. But, I do enjoy my time away from the computer. I try not get on at all during the weekends. It's a nice time to get away and let my mind wander into new adventures.

Hi Abby, yes, LOL, I understand.  it is addictive and that is from where I got this question in my mind.  That's a good idea about the weekends, truly getting away, especially into new adventures!  : )  Thanks for answering.

10. Nicole Danielle profile image54
    Nicole Danielleposted 10 years ago

I don't think it's difficult to stay offline, at least in my case it isn't. I do find myself using my cellphone internet alot though. Even more then I use my laptop some days. Really depends on what I'm doing, as long as something else is occupying me I have no problem being internet free.

Hi Nicole Danielle,  thanks for answering.  That's great to not be on soooo much!  Yes, I don't have cellphone internet, and that counts as being on the Internet.  Plus for me, no laptop either, just the dinosaur.

11. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 10 years ago

Only when my laptop died -lol.  Actually, I check my mail, HP, and FB once a day w/o staying on for longer than 1 hr. btw- I rarely watch TV, so the computer is my main distraction besides books and word games.

Hi cat on a soapbox, thanks for the great answer here!  LOL, too funny : ) Yes, I do not watch much TV either, that is a good discipline there you have indeed!  Those are great "distractions" . . . books and word games.

2. cat on a soapbox profile image95
      cat on a soapboxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Faith,
      There are those days that I DO stay on for hours, but I have a daily minimum of  1 hour. It's a great question! smile

That is a good to set a daily amount of time.  Very wise.  Some days, one cannot help but to stay on for whatever reasons no doubt.

12. i scribble profile image73
    i scribbleposted 10 years ago

Yes.  I don't have a Smart (or Dumb) Phone. Decided not to get one, better to save money for a new laptop. I often go w/out texting too!

Hello I scribble, thanks for answering. I love your hub name, very unique!  Yes, saving money is very wise no doubt, especially for that new laptop.  Good for you on the texting too.

13. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

Oh, yeah, if the weather brings up a day full of strong severe T-storms with a lot of lightning, plus a combination of tornado watches. Another reason is if my Internet is down for a whole day. Either reason makes it easy.

Hi The Examiner-1, that certainly would make it very easy no doubt!  Thanks for answering.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Come to think of it, the only time would be if the Internet was down. For the bad weather I would be watching the TV and checking my phone. Even though it is not a smart phone, I still use it to check the weather.

Thanks for the further clarification here!  Have a lovely evening.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, you too!

14. epbooks profile image82
    epbooksposted 10 years ago

I've tried and sadly, I have not been able to accomplish this.  I suppose if I absolutely had to, I could, but a lot of my work is done online so it's fairly difficult to stay off.  Plus, with smart phones, it is so easy to "slip up" and accidentally go online!

Hello epbooks, yes, it would be difficult especially being a lot of your work is done online, coupled with having a smart phone.  I understand completely!  Thanks for answering.

15. mujtabasworld profile image60
    mujtabasworldposted 10 years ago

Not at all, internet is like food for me big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)