Since things have kind of been changed up has anyone else felt the sting of low

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (41 posts)
  1. NiaG profile image84
    NiaGposted 10 years ago

Since things have kind of been changed up has anyone else felt the sting of low views...

and longer updating times? Is this just another lull and things will pick back up or do we need to work harder to get more views in?

2. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 10 years ago

Discuss something hot and controversial and you will blow up.  I attempted to get a discussion going on race.  People felt attacked and went ballistic.  I earned about 25 cent in two days!  I went from 88 to 91.

1. Insane Mundane profile image58
      Insane Mundaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Blow up?  Attacked? Ballistic?  Wow!  I didn't know this place was dangerous and involved cyber hand grenades & head-seeking projectiles.  I'm coming back with a helmet and a bullet-proof vest while definitely staying away from your Hubs.  LOL!

2. dianetrotter profile image61
      dianetrotterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Insane, yup!

3. Insane Mundane profile image58

Thanks for the warning.  I've been online for several years and never knew there were cyber-mines I could have stepped on and been blown to bits; yikes!

4. dianetrotter profile image61

Insane, you have a right to do that just because of your name.  Blow it up!  Attack it!  Go ballistic!  Action!

5. Insane Mundane profile image58

I'm glad you can reply to this, as my last comment got removed via moderation.

6. NiaG profile image84
      NiaGposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's not my intention to start a war. lol I was just curious. What's funny is I've moved to Mexico recently and thought while I'm here I'll have time to devote to hubs and increase my current earnings. I might be wrong. Hope thing's pick up.

7. Insane Mundane profile image58

War in Mexico?  Don't spill the tequila!

3. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 10 years ago

I'm the same. Over the past two months by views have slumped, despite working hard to continue to improve my hubs even although they are all featured. My earnings were never that high but they have halved over the past two months as well. I really hope that this is just a glitch, but if not, I'm not sure they hard work is worth the payment received. I love writing articles and this site, but I'm also trying to build up an income and it doesn't look like Hub Pages will be part of that for me if things don't improve over the next couple of months. Folks are saying that Google are fiddling about again and this has caused some hubbers views etc to go down.

4. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 10 years ago

Yes.  I have quite a bit.  HubPages decided that something that didn't get "sufficient engagement" wouldn't be listed in search engines, even if the quality of the hub was fine.  That drastically reduced my numbers. 

I just need to write some more.

5. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 10 years ago

I don't know, but it is very frustrating. You might check out Paul Edmondson's recent forum post. He has contacted Google about it, and HubPages is looking into what can be done. I'm going to follow that forum to see if there are updates.

1. dianetrotter profile image61

Thank you for the skinny!

6. peoplepower73 profile image89
    peoplepower73posted 10 years ago

Yep! I'm having the same problem. I've gone from a 100 views per day to 25. It's somewhat disheartening.

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I get about 5 views a day

2. BrandyMD profile image67
      BrandyMDposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I get even less than Sooner's 5 views, I don't have the greatest hubs but I do try my best so I wish it wasn't as difficult to get viewers.

7. Sue Bailey profile image68
    Sue Baileyposted 10 years ago

Yes definitely! Views and consequently earnings have dropped by over 50%   There are often long updating times too.  To be honest it has annoyed me a lot and
    I haven't written anything new now for weeks.  I will get over it and write more hubs one day soon but I'm now looking for other ways to earn money.

1. NiaG profile image84

I'm annoyed too. I've recently started trying to do 2 hubs a day because I'm able to now but the hubs that did so well have dwindled and I feel like the ones I'm writing now are just to get me back to where I was. Doing double work.

8. vocalcoach profile image95
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

My views and earnings have dropped big time despite the fact that I have done everything possible to increase traffic and earnings.  Things have never been this bad and I'm frustrated to say the least.  I'm now looking for other alternatives.

9. Jlbowden profile image84
    Jlbowdenposted 10 years ago

I believe this is only temporary, especially where online writing comes into play. But like the penguin and past google updates, they all come and go.

My views only started to dip today, but have been in lulls such as this over past months. Like everything else they come and go and should not present a big enough issue to cause worry or concern.

However it will not hurt, to create fresh, new articles, to cater to a wide audience, including bing, google and other similar search engines. These can only increase your page views, during a slow period such as this one.

10. bridalletter profile image79
    bridalletterposted 10 years ago

The changes are so constant and have such a dramatic changes in traffic and hub scores, I am feeling less enthusiastic here as many others.
    What I am doing...
    1. Removing most of the low traffic hubs I created and posting them on my personal blogs (with some adjustments, improvements).
    2. Deleting the low traffic and unfeatured hubs that I have transferred elsewhere.
    3. Deleting most of my unfinished articles to place those on my personal blogs.
    4. The featured and more trafficked hubs, I am improving, adding information and new images, fixing the advertising to 2 each and correcting grammar (if needed).
    5. Writing on here only a few articles with the goal of very informative and high quality on more unique subjects.
    6. Continue to enjoy reading everyone's articles, commenting and exploring information I need.
    7. Work on increasing traffic to my existing hubs by utilizing any and all social media networks, search engines and other blogs. Creating videos when possible and linking to the articles to again, improve visitor stats.

1. Insane Mundane profile image58

That sounds like a good plan.  I've noticed in the past, that many of the articles that are moved to other websites, blogs, whatever, get better traffic.  Diversity is the key, as one should not rely on one source of online income.

2. NiaG profile image84

Just seems like a lot of work if there's nothing really wrong with your hubs in the first place. Let us know if things get better for you by getting rid of some dead hubs.

11. Oscarlites profile image69
    Oscarlitesposted 10 years ago

yep.   People aren't reading anymore.  Its a lost skill.   Not to mention writers are underpaid. Attention spans are decreasing and unless it is on a two minute news bulletin, it is shuffled into space.  There are millions of unread books in the libraries. There is no one to read them.  Most Baby boomers are done with their reading, and there isn't another wave of conventional readers following. its all techno geek and war game players and I'm afraid if you don't have a fashionista pen, or a futuristic brain cell that's producing gel-glips of some new galactic energies, then, you are doomed in the trash pile of the past. Stagnant 21st century blog piles are about to plug up the internet. hark!!   A new age needs to be born!.   I fear that ear implanted information and voice activated encyclopedia pods will dominate the remaining years of the millennium. Laser processed exact data will be the fad. attachments to the arm, to the fingers, to the eyes and to the nose will reach out and grab all the available knowledge of the universe at the click of your implanted brain activator switch.  Hubpages will be ancient very soon. UNLESS we start getting out to GOOGLE and beyond!!!

1. dianetrotter profile image61

I like to read short articles that get to the point.  I write short articles because I like to get to the point.  When submitting my last article I noticed that there is a word counter.  Minimum 700 - my count 750.

2. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for depressing me! tongue

3. watergeek profile image94
      watergeekposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The minimum count's gone up. Used to be 500, but people who write that little were basically writing blogs. I think that's a good change for earning income.

12. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

The strange thing with me is that my views haven't changed, but my earnings have! I tend to keep to the same amount of readers, but the earnings have dropped, how did that happen?

1. NiaG profile image84

That doesn't make any sense. What's going on I wonder.

2. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have heard that in the summer, pageviews drop and rates per view drop in accordance.  Which seems backwards.  If pageviews are down across the board, then the value of few lucky pageviews should increase.

13. David R Bradley profile image80
    David R Bradleyposted 10 years ago

Earnings are way down - should be going up - traffic is down - should be going up - slowly moving my content to word press...  very disappointed in the limits being placed on creativity in the name of "quality content" Also, why even have a poetry section if you got to hit 700 words minimum - not everyone is writting the Iliad here - I've got some juicy shot free verses with commentary that are "too short" gimme a break!  But I'm not bitter!

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you could place several related poems in one post??  With commentary that links them?

14. possum lover profile image52
    possum loverposted 10 years ago

This question sure has sparked a lot interesting comments from a lot of hubbers that I know very well. Things are really on a tail spin here at the hub pages and we are losing around 1,000 hubs & over 200 hubbers each and every day. You can see these daily stats at this hub here - http://goody5.hubpages.com/hub/Google-vs-the-Hub-Pages  At the rate things are going it won't be long before the hub pages is going to dip down to just 90,000 and some hubbers, and under a million published hubs. Both of these numbers have been free falling out of control for a while now, and they don't look as though they are ever going to slow down. In the past 3 years I use to spend an excessive amount of time here at the hub pages, but that has all changed along with all of the hub pages changes. I'm hardly ever here anymore, and I don't think I'll be wasting anymore of my time writing anymore hubs either. All of the fun has been taken out of the hub pages, and this was an eye opening question NiaG, and from now on I think I'll just keep working on my high score for Angry Birds. At least that's still some fun, which is why I was here at the hub pages in the first place.

1. NiaG profile image84

I figured it was a common question but it hadn't been asked in these recent times. I know that things can go up and down. I just wondered if it was me.

15. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

I'm sorry to hear all the negative reports. However, I have to say that my numbers have been going up. I have less than 50 hubs thus far, and I had almost 700 views yesterday. My earnings have doubled since last month. Though it's nothing to live off of, $32 on the 23rd of the month is much better to less than $5 where I was at just a couple of months ago. I hope to continue writing for HP as I love what I have learned here, the user-friendliness of the articles platform, and the management behind it. My hub score has gone done tremendously over the last two weeks, but I know that is due to being on vacation and not having time to get into HP, comment, and write articles. But, I will be back at it this week and hopefully my score will go back up. Though it hasn't seemed to affect my earnings so far... thank goodness.

With that being said, I hope everyone stays positive during this time of change with HP. I've been around the block on similar article websites over the last few years, and nothing compares to HP. They are the best in my opinion.

1. NiaG profile image84

Well I'm glad someone is benefiting. I'm glad you are doing well. Much success to you. :-)

2. Abby Campbell profile image73
      Abby Campbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Nia. Best wishes to you as well. :-)

16. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Abby Campbell: My experience is very much like yours.  Until two months ago, I only had 3 Hubs on this site and never took it seriously.  In the past 2 months I've published 27 Hubs and have 13,000 page views for that time.  Like you, every time I publish a new Hub, my Hubber score goes way down.  (It was 97 last week!) So, no need to worry about that; it's just another indication that HubPages and Google are on different tracks.

You can rank well with a single Hub on the Google search engine and that is what brings in the traffic and the earnings. My Hub 'SEO Tutorial 2013' ranks number 2 on Google for that keyword phrase out of 10,400,000 results and, unlike most Hub topics, is in competition with every professional SEO expert in the world!

So, yes, the potential for traffic exists, but you must do the things to augment and overcome the things done by the hubpages.com site which you cannot control nor, apparently, influence to change.

17. PoeticPhilosophy profile image76
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years ago

Varies from individual but it's summer time so everyone's out enjoying there time instead of looking for info on the computer, makes sense. But I personally have been gaining views but I have been doing a little extra work posting on facebook etc. But yes just stay positive this is just a short-sting when September comes I'm sure things will pick up. Keep ur head up smile

1. NiaG profile image84

Thanks for the upbeat comment. I know it's normal for things to go up and down. Somethings are popular one minute and not the next. But when you notice it's down for a while, you can't help but wonder why. Thanks PP!

18. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

yes, i have 120-160 views per day for the overall hubs, not one hub. before, i used to have 80 views per hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)