What are some inexpensive ways to re-ignite the romance in a relationship?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. SoundNFury profile image82
    SoundNFuryposted 10 years ago

What are some inexpensive ways to re-ignite the romance in a relationship?

From a man to a woman, what are some good romantic ideas that are not over-the-top expensive?

2. profile image0
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8271337_f260.jpg

SoundNFury,

It's romantic to have dinner on the deck, to watch a romantic comedy by the fire, and to take a bubble bath together.
    Lisa

3. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

Getting away is one of the things my husband and I like to do.  One time we got sitters for the kids and the pets.  We went to a local hotel with an indoor heated pool, a restaurant with full bar, and free hot breakfast in the morning!  It was a blast.  We spent as much as we would have if we had gone to an expensive restaurant (because it was off-season so the hotel rate was fairly cheap).  After having a few cocktails we didn't have to worry about driving home! 

We also like to go on mini dates.  We go to a local coffee shop and sit in front of the fireplace during winter months.  There are a few local restaurants we like to try.  One is 24-hours, so if we have a sitter, we like to go out late night and have a feast while talking (when the restaurant is empty). 

We live near a lot of beaches so we like to go and stay on a hot day until the sun sets.  Sometimes we bring a picnic.

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

The thing most people overlook is finding out what their (mate) considers to be "romantic".
    Hollywood tends to make us assume "romance" is DNA coded in women and they ALL like bubble baths, candlelight dinners, a bouquet of roses or balloons, chocolates and so forth. Although people will generally appreciate any gifts or effort one makes in order to have them feel good it doesn't always mean you scored a "bulls eye". As is so often mentioned in relationships: Communication is key.
    One way to find out what your mate considers "romantic" is to ask them what are some of the most romantic movies they ever saw, songs they ever heard, or activities they imagined doing but have yet to do. Make sure learn (why) they felt it was romantic. Afterwards wait about 4 weeks or a little longer and then start to incorporate some of those ideas.
    Some women for instance would love to hold hands and walk along the shore at sunset, have summer picnic in the park, call in sick at work and then drive into the nearest large city and spend the day acting like tourist, maybe take a tour on open air bus or boat and have lunch, Some women love a foot massage or complete body massage by candlelight with soft music playing in the background.
    There are other times when "the ordinary" suddenly becomes romantic out of the blue. Having dinner together followed by washing dishes together, and snuggling up to read a book or watch a favorite movie. Taking a shower together while wearing shower gloves that massage soap on the body as you wash each other.
    However as I stated you have to find out what (your mate) considers romantic!

5. DDE profile image48
    DDEposted 10 years ago

Inexpensive ways like going for long walks, having a picnic in the countryside with a few glasses of wine. Depending on where you  are staying. Try not to drive any where get away with a cheap travel by train or bus and stay in  motel something suitable but simple just to  get that spark back in your relationship.

6. innerspin profile image87
    innerspinposted 10 years ago

One time my hubby wrote a letter - not an email - about how much I meant to him. It was so lovely! And yes, I do still have it hidden away.

7. BuffaloGal1960 profile image68
    BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years ago

Nothing brings spice or romance like doing things for each other all day to let you know you were thinking of them and them, you.

8. lupine profile image65
    lupineposted 10 years ago

Some of the simplest things can be romantic and inexpensive. Just be NICE and considerate. Give her the things money can't buy. If you have friends that ask you to go out often, tell them no, and spend time with her. Take a turn cooking dinner and cleaning up afterwards or do it together. Watch a movie that interests both of you and hold her hand or hug her. Call her on the telephone (do not text) just to ask how she's doing and say, "I was thinking about you"... "I can't wait to see you"..."I had a good time last night"..."I love you", etc.  For more on this subject, see my hub...Love & Marriage: Make it Last a Lifetime.

9. Ebonny profile image82
    Ebonnyposted 10 years ago

A common theme in the replies here is taking the time to nurture the relationship. Finding out what makes your partner feel appreciated and loved and doing the things THEY "need" to feel this way (as opposed to only doing the things that you yourself feel would be romantic) can re-ignite romance in long term relationships where things have almost inevitably become stale.  I believe the Five Love Languages can rekindle romance and I would say that buying the book or reading up on it and applying its principles is a very inexpensive way to re-ignite the romance.   

However, like everything worthwhile, it does require effort.  For example if your partner's love language is WORDS OF AFFIRMATION and you find that every time you give them a compliment or affirmation they reject it, won't believe you or think you're only saying it because you're after something, you may be tempted to give up trying to apply this love language as it doesn't seem to be working.  But there are ways to come to terms with this kind of response and overcome such negativity from a partner who snubs all attempts at the very compliments they crave, and once you understand the reasons why they may do this ( low self esteem is but one example) it's easier to persevere and get back that loved up feeling, as I've explored in one of my hubs on the subject.. 

The Five Love Languages can be from a man to a woman and vice versa.  Plus even if your partner's love language is GIFTS, the gifts do not need to be expensive, or have any material value at all.  Other love languages are QUALITY TIME, TOUCH and ACTS OF SERVICE - most of which have been mentioned  in the very helpful answers already given here.  It's so good to know that re-igniting romance need not be expensive at all!

10. Kiki Estime profile image40
    Kiki Estimeposted 7 years ago

Take a walk together. Dance at home together to a romantic song. Watch a movie together and make jokes about it together LOL. Act like friends more often.

11. Deborah Minter profile image93
    Deborah Minterposted 6 years ago

A surprise midnight dinner at home. A special meal, with music or something to remind you of how you met.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)