Why are baby boomers simultaneously so critical of parenting and such bad parent

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. ParadigmEnacted profile image75
    ParadigmEnactedposted 10 years ago

Why are baby boomers simultaneously so critical of parenting and such bad parents themselves?

2. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 10 years ago

This question implies something that is either not accurate or else a blanket generalization.  I'm a second-wave Boomer - not quite the same as age as first-wave Boomers - , and I'm not "so critical of parenting" across the board.  I'm sometimes critical of SOME things SOME parents do/have done.  I'm uncomfortable pointing out that I'm not a bad parent, because we all know how objectionable it is when someone isn't willing to just accept being assumed "bad" at something when, in fact, that person can only make the point that she isn't by saying something positive about herself.  Still, as one of the people old enough to be a Boomer, I've lived long enough to have had so many people say so many things about either me, or some group I'm in, that simply haven't been true.  So, I suppose I'm now at the edge of starting to learn how to be one of those outspoken and blunt "old people" who says what she wants to say without worrying about who'll like her or not.   LOL

I'm certainly not a "bad parent".  In fact, my own parents were excellent parents but did a few small things that I think needed a little improvement, but those few things were reflections of how people thought in the 1950's/1960's.  So, when I grew up and had and/or adopted my own children I decided to be pretty much the same kind of parent that my parents had been, but make a few minor changes with regard to those few minor things that I think they could have understood/done better.

I'm sure I've done my "few small things", even if a different "few small things" from what my parents did; but I'm a very good parent.  How can I prove that I don't just think that without its being true?  I can't really, but I can say that I'm far from the only one who has ever asserted that I'm a good parent, and that includes my own children.  I know the results of my parenting.  I did pass the adoption screening, which involves professionals getting a reading one a person's parenting philosophies, practices, etc.

I'm "quietly proud" of the parent that I am, proud of my kids, proud of my being strong enough and loving enough to guide them through some awfully challenging times,  and happy to know that all the time, thought, effort, and love I put into being a good - no, excellent - parent from the day my babies were either born or handed to me right up to now - as I continue to think out my new role and responsibilities in their lives now that they're grown - have become "the proof of the pudding".

1. BuffaloGal1960 profile image67
      BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm a baby boomer & I don't think I am a bad parent.  Of course, most people probably don't think they are a bad parent, but if you consider I raise my kids to be moral, productive citizens and make a difference in the world, then I am bad a pare

2. ParadigmEnacted profile image75
      ParadigmEnactedposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OK, fair enough. I don't know you personally and I can't judge you as an individual, but it seems that this era is a focal point for parental issues and that's based on experience. So the question remains open to a broader evaluation.

3. ParadigmEnacted profile image75
    ParadigmEnactedposted 10 years ago

I might have worded this differently. It just seems like sweeping social issues which are a product of bad parenting are a modern phenomenon that in some way pertains, either directly or indirectly, to people either born or raised in the 60's and 70's. I've noted that Boomers in particular are very critical, judgmental, sanctimonious, competitive, or just sensitive to the issue of quality parenting which leads me to believe that the entire issue for better or worse exists in the vacuum of the era that they are part of.

I have reason to believe that things like age gaps and parent/child conflicts are emphasized more in modern times than they were earlier because Boomers are either directly or indirectly involved. I include parents from the 70's with the realization that their performance in influenced by the climate of the 60's.

I also realize that a lot of critical people have trouble being self-critical or viewing things objectively. More of a shift focus, find someone or something else to pin it on situation.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you're right, which is why I stayed an outsider as far as parenting goes.  I think I saw how it all happened, and it's a Hub or a book in itself.  No space here to elaborate.  Think it's more societal trends than just individuals though.

2. ParadigmEnacted profile image75

Yes. Microcosm/Macrocosm, although by now it has become very individual as well.

4. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

Who the heck are you. Let me see. Four great children contributing to the arts, the sciences, civic duty politics, Native American causes, Healthcare with 7 degrees between them. Who show love and adoration to their mother and me, pay taxes have great significant others, can drink with the best but do not often. Know mountains and beaches been on every continent.
    I am a baby boomer but the story above about children born to baby boomers could get bigger and cooler.

I gather you are a child of a baby boomer and boo hoo for you.

I got this buddy who is kind of black, kind of Hawaiian and kind of Kenyan. Great degrees and study. A pretty good bloke all around. He kind of has a nasty liberal bent but that is cool.
    I hear he is a baby boomer and his title is President of the United States of America.
    You insult my generation in your pity pot.

Yup, that's what I keep getting. This whole issue about dishing out and receiving criticism, and it's disproportional. Can't take credit for anything unless it's at someone's expense. You guys exist in a vacuum...so love one another. LOL!

5. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 10 years ago

I don't agree that the Baby Boomer parent is a 'bad' parent.  I'm a baby boomer with two grown daughters and four grandkids.  All are wonderful, considerate, stable, well functioning citizens of their communities.  Both my daughters are professional service workers.  I've never had to deal with smoking, drug use, or alcohol issues-not they did not 'experiment'. 

Do you want to know the reason why they have such great values, which they are now handing down to their own children?  Because they had a great mom who cared enough to parent them with values and made them accountable for their behavior.

Yep-I'm a great parent, and proud to say so, and I'm a fun, loving, and great 'parent' to my grandchildren.  If you want to know more about my parenting skills and suggestions check some of my hubs.

I just read some of the other comments.  It appears you've hit a sore point with us 'Baby Boomer' parents.  smile

It seems pretty clear that my question calls for us to evaluate a generational trend, and that this places less emphasis on individual circumstance. But shining example of how self-interest wins out and being quick to lash out at perceived criticism.

2. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The Women's Movement and Technology boom made a lot of people think that mothering was a nice but not-all-the-important thing, and that words/skill in understanding human beings and babies were nice, but not important or "smart".  Values changed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)