What causes so many people to believe that those who elect and choose not to hav

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

What causes so many people to believe that those who elect and choose not to have any children

to be deemed as selfish and irresposnbile people?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8308395_f260.jpg

2. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

I think some people believe it's a moral obligation to have children due to the saying, "Be Fruitful and Multiply".  So some think those that are childless are selfish.  (Speaking only from hearing people say things like that in my life.  I didn't have children until I was older, so I had it said to me a lot.)

I've known many people who would love to have children and simply cannot.  So how would it be "unselfish" to apply a fair standard to childless couples based on what others think is a "moral" obligation?

3. Lee Tea profile image84
    Lee Teaposted 10 years ago

I don't know...I don't think this about childless couples.  I'm too busy raising children, which takes all of my time and most of my attention.  Rearing two young people really takes the wind out of my sails when it comes to judging - or really even paying attention to - others.

Could it be childless couples are just paranoid about what others think of them?  The only childless couples I've ever known have been great at entertaining company and can do so long after I'm good - god bless em.

I started thinking how maybe this is a one-sided argument after watching that computer-generated video you posted on another "childless couples" post.  It cracked me up!  I don't have the time or energy to tell a childless woman how I think she should be, let alone the time to make a movie about it lol.  Must've been a childless-films production.  While standing up for your childless status is a preoccupation of yours, I'm not sure there's many fighting the other side of the fight.  Can't you see - we're tired!

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't think this about women w/children. To EACH, THEIR own.  All is NECESSARY.  LOVE all I SAY!

2. Lee Tea profile image84
      Lee Teaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't think what about women w/children?  I say the same - to each their own, all is necessary, love all.  There's no problem here.  You agree?  Maybe I'm just not the audience you're addressing with this post.

3. gmwilliams profile image84

That's fine. EVERYONE is welcome to participate regarding this question.  What I DISLIKE is that some childfree women call women w/children breeders. That is totally disgusting & totally uncalled for. HOW DARE they! Been visiting too many blogs !

4. Lee Tea profile image84

Oh...hahahaha!  "Breeders".  Never really heard this...I must not be visiting enough social clubs!  Definitely not with the kids lol.

5. Georgie Lowery profile image90
      Georgie Loweryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Breeders isn't nearly as bad a term as what some people call children. I don't have kids but never in my life would I use those kinds of words!

6. gmwilliams profile image84

Me neither.  Such disrespect and utter dehumanization of motherhood.  How egregious indeed!

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

I think to some extent we are products of what we see and are exposed to. Most people choose to have children. Our kids books have the nuclear family as the prominent model.  So kids think this is the norm and when faced with a "norm" all else is not normal.

It would stand to reason if we grow up believing families are a couple with children then we would assume the choice not to have kids means the people are selfish and not mature enough to face the responsibility of being a parent.

Well gm, it made sense in my head anyway!! LOL

5. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

According to my parents it is a terrible thing but I decided at a very young age that I have no desire to have children.
    Though my ex and I were together for 27 years we never even considered having children and I have to say that IMHO she would have been a worse mother than I would have been a bad father.
    I simply don't have the patience for children. I can tolerate being around them for a fairly short time and there are ages that I enjoy spending some time with. But if you have your own you don't get to choose and you can't just send them away or leave if they get on your nerves.
    Now that I am close enough to 60 that I can't deny getting older I have never regretted my decision, despite all the times my own parents told me I would.
    Am I selfish or irresponsible,,, perhaps; but that isn't why I never had kids. It simply never fit  into my lifestyle.
    Given my opinion of where the world is heading I'm rather happy that I don't need to worry about the long term future, which I see as rather bleak.
    I had a wonderful childhood and loving parents, the type that psychologists insist nobody had. I was a country kid but near a city and  wanted for nothing. Both of my parents are very well educated. My family was highly successful and well known enough to have streets named after us. As land owners we had a great sense of stability.

1. Lee Tea profile image84

This is great insight.  Thanks for a bit of your wisdom.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)