Would religious and non religious separation help anything?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (28 posts)
  1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

Would religious and non religious separation help anything?

Such as having towns for religious people where they can have God taught in schools and keep their beliefs. Also letting them keep their own laws on abortion, gay marriage, and other social issues. Then having towns where there is zero religious affiliation and more liberal living. Would this make both sides happier? Or would we still find things to complain about. It seems to some extent this would limit both sides from pushing their agendas onto the opposite group.

2. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 10 years ago

You mean segregation? Because that never ends well.

peeplesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I meant optional segregation where neither can enforce anything on the other group. Realistically we are segregated now, just in a different way.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image84
      Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Onusonus,  love your comment smile

3. ChristinS profile image37
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Religious people can go to private schools and have prayer in schools. They can also keep their beliefs wherever they are so I don't think segregation is the answer. I think religious people, most of them, don't mind blending into modern society even if they disagree with some of it.  They recognize, as mature people, that the world doesn't always function the way we think it should, but they make the best of it.

I think segregation, tempting though it may be at times with some people, is not a solution - it's just kicking the can down the road so to speak. Eventually, we will have to evolve and learn to live with one another and work together, and for the most part - most reasonable people can and do.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

++++++++, EXCELLENT answer.  We have to evolve beyond these artificial barriers so to speak.  WE are ALL ONE.

2. profile image0
      christiananrkistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

i agree completely that most reasonable people can and do live with one another. its only the smaller percentage on either side that seems to make the headline. no need to take drastic measures due to a few bad apples as they say.

4. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

LOL, I thought you were speaking of separation on HubPages!  Now I'm getting religious ads showing up on my pages for answering some questions on religious topics.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image84

Crafty, LOL!

5. Paul K Francis profile image85
    Paul K Francisposted 10 years ago

I think that any kind of separation would probably lead to more serious problems including differences within the groups which would lead to further separations and so on, and there will always be someone who wants to be boss. People sometimes change their minds concerning these matters and they may not want to move, and individuals within a family may not be on the same page. We need to keep reminding ourselves that we are the same species and have many more things in common than we have differences like the desire for freedom; freedom of choice and movement. In other words: why can't we just get along! Have a nice day.

1. profile image0

LOL. I was trying to basically make that point and couldnt quite get it out. well said

6. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

I think things should stay the way they are. While there debates and fights about religion or the absence of religion, I think the mixing and mingling makes life more interesting.

It certainly does, it helps us see the other's perspective.

2. profile image0

youre right about that. i know just about every time i debate, i actually learn a lot either from the other person directly or because im forced to do some research.

7. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 10 years ago

interesting question. I think people will still find things to complain about though. If we segregate atheists and religious, then we also will have to segregate all the different religious beliefs, hunters from vegans, and who knows what else. I think the better solution would be to live peacefully together, accepting each other for who we are, and not forcing either side to violate their beliefs. Because of conflicting views, we will never agree on everything, but it isnt difficult to tolerate each other. After all dont we all have conflicting views with family members and are still able to live in the same house?

8. profile image0
    delleaposted 10 years ago

Hmm, your question seems to have a Nazi-like slant to it.... sounds an awful lot like concentration camps to me. I'd like to see how long your "atheist-only" towns would survive... it would probably be much like the Romans watching Christians getting devoured by lions in their colosseums... and wouldn't that be ironic? Can I hear you saying "Hail Nero"?

peeplesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry you failed to read the comments where I specifically stated optional!

9. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years ago

I suggest we look at the psychology behind our differences in beliefs and understandings.   
    Instead of viewing these differences as a human "aberration," maybe if we see them as coming from a primeval genetic reaction to anything that is different and that we are unfamiliar with.
    To have a religious faith, to feel convinced about all it teaches, then to live amongst others who have similar convictions, helps us to feel safe and secure.   "Safety in a crowd" is one aspect of it.  Even just walking into a church or meeting hall each week and meeting people we know, who have the same opinions as our self, can be a very comforting activity.   
    "Birds of a feather flock together" is another expression.  This gives rise to the comfort-zone boost in any one of us, regardless of the focus of the group we are joining.   
    If I suggest to a deeply convinced christian person that he/she question something of their belief, this is a threatening gesture.   It can imply that one has to break with treasured understanding and habitual points of view.   This has nothing to do with the perceived facts of the belief system.  It's more to do with the personal ownership of the beliefs.... a sort of insult.
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me..."  Not true!  the wrong words can be devastating and give rise to a barrage of defensive behaviour.
    Is it defensive behaviour such as this which we feel coming from us atheists as well as the christian people?   
    Understanding our selves can be the very first step in understanding and accepting our neighbour.  From this can come solutions.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image84

Jonny, love your comment on my comment.  Very cute!

10. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

No. I may not agree with certain people's views, but they are entitled to them as much as I to mine. Separation of church and state is already in effect. Saying this, I do not think either side can actually say that they are happy with the things that transpire in our country. Christian, atheist, etc. Are all still Americans and we must unite under that front. We are all Americans.

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS a multillion percent!

11. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

Then what would be the fun of it?  Seriously, I think you're getting to the fact that there is a strong undertone of pomposity and "humble arrogance" that permeates the Christian community at this time in history. It wasn't always that way!  Not at all.  In the 50s, kids going to Catholic school had that kind of elitist attitude.  There's the old joke of Protestants going to heaven being greeted at the gate by St. Peter who gives him a tour of all the mansions.  Some are gold, some are silver.  All are beautiful.  But when he comes to one area, it has a huge brick wall and St. Peter tells the Protestants they have to tiptoe past.  When they get past that mansion, a woman raises her hand and asks, "But St. Peter, why did we have to tiptoe past that mansion."  St. Peter answers in a whisper, "Because that's where all the Catholics live and they think they're the only ones here."  (As a former Catholic, I'm allowed to tell that joke and not be considered offensive since those were my people and I'm saying it about ourselves.).

1. ChristinS profile image37
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

smile I've heard that joke before too, but in the version I heard it was evangelicals who though they were the only ones there wink lol.

2. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

At least your sense of humour is "saved," Billie!

3. Billie Kelpin profile image84

Christin, "Amen" and that's precisely the point.  You are my little sister from another mother.

4. profile image0

LOL. no need for the disclaimer. thats funny.

12. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 10 years ago

I think that religious and non religious separation would actually have the same effect on the country that racial segregation had. Basically, the whole "separation but equal" principle was everything EXCEPT equal. There would still be problems because there are people on both sides that also have their own ideas on abortion, gay marriage, and other social issues. Once we separate the religious from the non religious, we will then separate the pro choice and pro lifers. As well as wanting to separate the supporters of Gay marriage from the opposers.. annd so on and so forth.. Next thing we know, each city in the country will be it's own little country with its own laws and there will be so much more of a civil war than the original one between the pro slavery and anti slavery.. The only thing that will help unite us is talking more TO each other instead of AT or ABOUT each other as well as seeking to understand each other before trying to be understood

13. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

Peeples, a most creative question and nicely thought-provoking.

I'm afraid that ego would find a way to make a mess of things. Ego is entirely creative and crafty at finding ways to complain and muck up "perfect" solutions.

Civilization is a rescue mission. Immortal spirit needs to wake up, but it cannot without some help. Those who don't feel their own spiritual nature have a harder time with this than others. Many, though, follow religion out of habit or ego -- belonging so strokes the ego.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)