Born in a particular Religion or Religion by choice?.Which one is your preferenc

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image57
    ctnahdaposted 10 years ago

Born in a particular Religion or Religion by choice?.Which one is your preference?.

Do you agree that if I say your way of life(which is going to be accountable afterlife),your faith and your religion should be your own choice and not others?.

2. PoeticFailosophy profile image55
    PoeticFailosophyposted 10 years ago

Religion is always a choice.  Even if you are born to a family that practices a particular faith and they force you to perform the rituals of that faith as a child, you ultimately have power to choose to believe it or not. Even religions that claim you are always a member, that's just another belief, not a fact.  You can choose not to believe it.

1. profile image57
      ctnahdaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank You PoeticFailosphy for your view.For me,My Religion and my faith will be always my choice.FYI,I'm Muslim by born,and as I grew older and wiser,I learn and I study and I'm proud to say that I choose to be Muslim not because I was born into,but

3. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 10 years ago

As babies and, later, young children, we usually don't have a choice regarding the religious teachings we get.  If we're fortunate, we don't get too many.  This gives us an opportunity not afforded to those who have been brainwashed to the extent that they can't step out of the conglommeration of thoughts they've accepted.   

A friend of mine once remarked that if a couple of children were able to raise themselves - unassisted by adults or any outside influence - on a remote and deserted island, at some stage in their lives they would marvel at it all and attribute Life and Nature as being created by a God.   They wouldn't understand this God, but they would deem It/Her/Him so, for they'd feel that they certainly hadn't created the world in which they live.

So, if this observation is valid, it seems we nearly all have some sort of belief that Life and Nature and the Cosmos is something incomprehensibly great; far beyond the limitations of our own conscious thinking.

So, 'A particular religion or a religion by choice?'   For me, definitely the latter.  But I would not term it so much as 'religion' as a personal 'philosophy of life.'

1. lone77star profile image73
      lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Most interesting. But beyond the limited experiences of the body, if you give up ego through humility, and allow the true self to reawaken, then would have certainty not based on perception (effect), but truth based on creation (cause).

4. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

Religion has always been a choice. Even before the age of reason. You might be burned at the stake for heresy, but you had a choice.

I love the fact that we have greater freedom, to explore the meaning of religion and spirituality. This is so valuable. We have so many resources and an ability to use them (reading, internet, printing, etc).

I agree with the Fundamentalists that we have, as a society, moved to far toward the secular and have lost a great deal of our humanity and sanity, but that's not the most important dynamic involved. Even the Fundamentalists lose sight of Truth and favor their own egotistical view of their own Holy Book.

And yet, there is a great deal to be said for being born into a religion and humbly holding to it. Why? Because humility is a most precious ingredient. It is the antidote to ego, and ego is the source of all evil, including our own spiritual blindness.

Ego is the invisible illness that plagues every aspect of human society.

So many skeptics blame religion. So many believers blame science. But both are wrong. Both are missing the one element common to all evil -- all selfishness -- the heart of selfishness, itself: ego.

Now that I know this, it matters less to me if I am "trapped" in the religion of my birth, or select a different religion. Humility to truth, whatever that truth turns out to be, is far more valuable than the dogma of any one specific religion.

And yet, I hunger to go beyond mere humility. I would like to understand the mechanics of our entrapment (our spiritual death) so that I can build within myself a more perfect escape -- a more perfect return to spirituality and to the oneness that some have named "God."

I wonder, for instance, about the Christian desire to "follow Christ." Some have very strict ideas about this. I wonder if Gautama Siddhartha Buddha was following Christ in the purest sense of the term, when he gave up the false self of this world to reawaken the true self of spirit. Could Mohammed have "followed Christ" in the cave? Is it possible that many Christians who profess to "follow" Christ are actually going in the opposite direction -- thumping their own egos as did the Pharisees?

5. profile image0
    KenDeanAgudoposted 10 years ago

It doesn't matter if you are born in a particular Religion or Religion by choice, the important is that you know God, and you are following all his commandments. To be morally good in many ways.

1. profile image57

I Do agree with some of your point,but I may say that your personal relationship with The Creator(God) will always be your responsibility.Only with the sense of responsibility,you will be practicing your religion according to the teaching.

6. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Yes, always. Take for instance I was raise in a Pentecostal church. Even as a child, I knew something just didn't add up because I would sit through the service terrified. As I grew older, I started studying the Bible for "myself" and came to the truth.

Tongues are not needed to be spoken in church, laying hands on someone should not be done "prophesying", etc. So many things that I was taught at an early age really opened my eyes to false doctrine.

7. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 10 years ago

No religion. Only truth. No dogma, doctrines, threats, or superstitions from ancient or modern day people. Only clarity. No conditioning with false concepts or mythology. Only reality. To see the truth, you must remove the false. Religions are false. Many men have filled in the blanks beyond the original teachings. They may be helpful but they the are concepts from men's imaginations. And they are subject to changes, edits and deletes by so-called authority figures according to what they believe should be included in the teachings. Therefore, self discovery and personal choice is the way for me.

8. WiccanSage profile image91
    WiccanSageposted 10 years ago

I believe people have to ultimately follow what they believe, regardless of whether they were raised in it or not.

I don't believe our afterlife depends on our choice, but I do think people should live their lives being true to themselves.

9. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

I am not religious, and I don't believe in the concept of religions.  I raised my kids to behave and know right from wrong, and to respect others without the influence or "assistance" of any church. 
    I allowed them to make their own choices when they were older and allowed them to explore on their own. 
    I do agree that whatever anyone believes should be their own choice, and certainly not forced upon them by anyone else. 
    Also, I am willing to be tolerant of anyone's beliefs as long as they are not "in my face" about it.  Believe what you will, but don't proselytize.  I believe that anyone's "soul" is their own concern, and only theirs, and the "souls" of others are none of anyone else's business.

1. profile image57

Thank you DzyMsLizzy for you view.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)