What words or phrases a person utters makes you turn off to his/her ideas?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

What words or phrases a person utters makes you turn off to his/her ideas?

Are there certain words or phrases that you find "off-putting"? I really don't mind the "ef" word, (really), but there are certain other words or phrases that will block my mind from what the person is saying.  When people make a mistake and say, "I lied," it takes my mind a little recovery time to get over the annoyance of that. "Imelda," might tell me her party is on Oct. 25th, and upon thinking again, say, "Oh, I lied, it's on Saturday, the 26th". Also, if a person makes a mistake and says,"I'm such a jerk, I turn off as well, or when people say "boobs" or "crap" or dog "do-do". Yours ?

2. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Interesting question!  I do know when people use "saw" and "seen" wrong it drives me nuts. In my area everyone "seen" something and that makes me tune out and find a way to leave a conversation.  I hate it when women call other women the B word - I find it very demeaning and there are more mature ways to disagree with someone, actually anyone name calling turns me off.

People who talk ignorant on purpose when they know better and in the writing world, people who use text shorthand in articles.. ugh. Or when someone says "omg" in a conversation - seriously? It's too much effort to say the full phrase?

Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The "seen" and "saw" thing drives me crazy too. "Me and him went for a ride." Ugh.  "He don't know no better."  I find the "omg" kind of cute with young kids.  I think they don't want to say "God" irreverently. Thanks Christin!

2. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's true with the omg never really thought of it that way, I just always thought "lazy" like text speak. OH another one "prolly" instead of probably, drives me bonkers and everyone in this area does it lol.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

People who use curse words in general. I mean c'mon, there are thousands of words to get one's point across without having to drop an "F" bomb or the worst of all "GOD*@#$."

For some reason or the other, I find the "F" word liberating.  But JT, respectfully, and this is an example of how crazy we (I) can be.  I don't like the whole phrase "F BOMB".  Isn't that peculiar?  I can see your point on the use of "God"

4. RealityTalk profile image61
    RealityTalkposted 10 years ago

"Jesus" is a big turn off for me.  As soon as someone utters Jesus in an explanation for almost anything, I immediately think this person hasn't much of a clue about anything.  My reasons?  No one has ever met Jesus.  In fact there is little evidence Jesus the man ever existed, let alone Jesus the son of a god.  The myth of Jesus is no different than a majority of the world's populous once believing the Earth to be flat or that the Sun revolves around the Earth.  Some people believe numbers (a mob mentality) is proof they are right.  All that proves is more are wrong.  I prefer intelligent arguments with facts to back them up.  Not myths and fairy tales with self-righteous minds spewing meaningless words that answer nothing.  Someone claiming Jesus is the answer or Jesus has some important part to play in anything going on or being discussed turns off my belief anything intelligent will come of a continued discussion.

I am also turned off (like you) by slang words.  An argument should make its point with words of meaning, not words meant to shock.  Why anyone utters the word "s**t" I cannot understand.  If I'm upset about something, what does "s**t" have to do with anything, unless I step in it.

"Let me be honest with you" is phrase that lends nothing to a discussion.  Why would anyone say that?  Were you lying to me about everything else said before?

Thank you for the question Billie.  Have a great week!

Thanks, RT!  I know ur feelings re: religion r like mine so when I read ur 1st sentence I was intrigued. Ironically, I don't like my husband to say "Jesus" b/c I find it disrespectful for him as a Christian to use.  When I say it, I think "geezes" smile

2. RealityTalk profile image61
      RealityTalkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Funny u should say that. My wife's family is Jewish & they say "Jesus Christ" a lot.  I'm not Christian, but I always found someone of a different faith using JC like that offensive.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image85

RT, I KNOW!  Isn't that fascinating?

4. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Reality Talk, you are correct in your premise.  S@@@t is a word that is very overused in the conversation.  Do these people have such an insufficient vocabulary that all they can think of is the "s" word?  Really now!

5. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

RealityTalk - I've just found out you left HubPages.   I wanted to send you a private email, but that function's no longer available.  Please email me.  Thanks!

6. Billie Kelpin profile image85

Say Yes,  thanks for noting that Reality left hubpages.  I was able to find his BEAUTIFUL blog.  Hope he keeps in touch!

5. profile image0
    Mklow1posted 10 years ago

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people use the word "spewing", to describe someone speaking. I have noticed that this seems to be a blog/forum word because I rarely hear it out in the real world unless it is in the context of "That soda just spewed everywhere!".

But on Hubpages and other places, people say "Spewing lies", "Spewing hate", or "Spewing words". To me, this actually makes the speaker sound like they are the ones that have a lot of anger inside of themselves instead of vice versa.

I detest foul language, but not because it offends me. I have worked in the Oilfield, construction, and for a railroad, so it is not like these are words I have not heard before. To me they just have no point. Growing up, my mother always said that a person that uses foul language does it because they don't know any good words to say. That has stuck with me.

Spew does have an ugly sound, doesn't it.  I'm guilty of spewing forth all manner of nonsense plus the usage of "spewed forth" smile  I thought we'd all have a few of these pet peeves in common, but looks like r annoyances are individualistic, like us !

6. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

Haha, I say the words boobs and crap on a daily basis, you'd hate me. Actually after reading through the comments I say all the things listed so far! I never really gave it much thought. I don't really find anything word wise a turn off. A lot of actions are a big turn off/annoyance for me.

How could I hate YOU Peeples?  You have such great comments and hubs smile  My daughter has "boob" a lot in her stand-up comedy.  She laughs at me though 'cuz I sling around the"f" word a lot.  (I worked in a high school). For me it's like saying "darn"

7. Emmyboy profile image79
    Emmyboyposted 10 years ago

I don't have any problem with the f-word. In fact, you can say anything you want to say to me and I'm still all ears simply because I am always a learner.

But...

I start to take offence by turning off from someone's ideas immediately the person says or writes "just saying".

I don't know why but it makes me see that person as a cunning person who cannot be trusted because s/he doesn't want to stand by his or her words.

Eb, I'm the same re: the "f" word, and I'm a 68 yr old woman! I wrote a poem abt being too silent in society: "...because women my age don't say f***" " I see where "just saying," might seem cunning. Aren't  these unique likes/dislikes fascinating?

8. mcbel profile image64
    mcbelposted 10 years ago

Easy. When someone says "The thing is, is..." You've already said 'is' once, there's no need to say it twice. I'm not sure if it's texting or facebook that has done this to America, but it has become increasingly common to hear young Americans botch commonly used terminologies such as 'whether or not' and the ever-exhilarating misspelling of 'their/there'. Deplorable...

Think I"m guilty of "The thing is..."  In analyzing why I say this, I might be trying to emphasize a point or clarify.  It's really more of a "What I'm trying to say is this..."  Thanks Mcbel, for your comment.

9. Twilight Lawns profile image72
    Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years ago

One of the most irritating and patronisng group of words I know is as follows.
    "I think you'll find."  Anybody who says this obviously disagrees with something that  one has said, but has put himself in a position  where he thinks he knows better.  Ha!
    And people who speak in sound-bights which mean absolutely nothing like when they start a sentence with "Basically" and "At the end of the day" - what do those two mean?

TL, Oh I AGREE!  "I think you'll find."  That's exactly how I feel.  Did you ever see Fred Armisen's Weekend Update where he never finishes a sentence and pontificates on the next 1/2 topic?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z04ci47C5Ps ?  That is ME!!!

2. Twilight Lawns profile image72
      Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Billie Kelpin,  Thank you.  I have just watched it and I know so many people who are just as incisive and good at developing a theme is this.... sometimes even more so!

3. Billie Kelpin profile image85

TL, Hope you had a good laugh.  That cracks me up because it's soooo me.  I didn't realize it until I saw ME on SNL !!!

10. MrsGray32 profile image61
    MrsGray32posted 10 years ago

There is really nothing that bothers me in relation to words.  I would have to say the way someone portrays their selves could turn me off what they are saying for instance, claiming that they "know it all" and that they "don't care" if anyone else has input. I believe in listening with an open mind, but once someone shows me that they cannot do the same with the same respect I'm showing them, then sorry I have nothing further to listen too. Have a Great Day!
    Good Question!

Sounds like a good policy, MrsGray32!  The way people portray themselves makes all the difference, doesn't it.  We can take almost anything if it's given with the right attitude. Thanks for your input smile

11. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8422711_f260.jpg

There are several.  The one phrase that really makes me go into a Hunnic rampage is, "Well I am not telling you what to do........but".  It is apparent that this person is not interested in any logical discussion but wants to dominate the discussion and bend a person to his/her will.  Amother annoying phrase is, "If I were YOU".  Again, this person does not have the innate intelligence to realize that each person has a different perspective and opinion to add to the conversation.  Such highly intrusive and tyrannical people turn me off to ever having an intelligent discourse with them.

Then there are people who constantly correct others during a conversation.  Such people believe that they are the holders of knowledge while others are woefully ignorant and/or lacking according to the former's purview.  They authoritatively contend that their opinion is the only legitimate one while others are inferior in need of "some education" on their part.  Such people make me want to steer clear of them.  Everyone has something to add to the conversation.

People who refuse to use correct English and speak in constant monosyllables.  I believe that is the height of ignorance. Why do some people delight in using monosyllables when they communicate?  That really makes me quite venomous to say the least.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)