What are the 10 worst things that a parent can do to an underachieving child?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

What are the 10 worst things that a parent can do to an underachieving child?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8124384_f260.jpg

2. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 10 years ago

Neglect
    Don't show love
    Yell
    Degrade them
    Constant  underestimating a child
    Don't show interest  or don't pay attention
    Lose respect for the child
    Don't  show appreciation
    Constant nag
    Avoid communication

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Definitely!  Negative and/or little reinforcement causes children to be underachievers. They feel that if they receive only negative reinforcement, why bother?

3. caseymel profile image92
    caseymelposted 10 years ago

Tell them that they can never achieve their goals and that they will never amount to anything.

Now, HOW MANY parents do this on a constant basis and yet they wonder why their children are underachievers or nonachievers?  Self-fulfilling prophecy in action.

4. simondixie profile image71
    simondixieposted 10 years ago

Don't allow the child to sense that you are (in any sense) disappointed in him or her.  That advice is for parents, teachers, or anyone who has ongoing contact with that child. Not showing disappointment doesn't mean you put up a front with the child. Instead, a parent or teacher should engage in some honest soul-searching. This kind of introspection requires that we, parent or teacher, are completely honest with ourselves. First, children are not underachievers because they want to disappoint anyone. In all probability, they need additional help with the area they are struggling with. They do need to know that their parents love them unconditionally. I struggled with math all through elementary, middle, and high school. My parents told me, "Just do your best. If you have tried, and your best is a failing grade, you have done what we asked." This advice caused me to attempt to do things that I thought were extremely difficult, and sometimes I wasn't sure I could accomplish my goals----but my parents removed the fear of failure with those words. I have continued to set goals that appear difficult, and I am grateful that my parents let me know early in life that their love wasn't contingent on bringing home high math grades.  (I know I answered this question with a positive answer rather than saying what parents should NOT do....this feels better to me).
    Hope that's okay with others who read my answer.

1. simondixie profile image71
      simondixieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for giving my answer this rating....it is so important that we (teachers, parents, etc) give children positive praise and feedback when they earn it----and give them the help they need in weak areas.

2. gmwilliams profile image85

Definitely, we must encourage and appreciate our precious children.  They become what we EXPECT of them.

5. mindyjgirl profile image78
    mindyjgirlposted 10 years ago

I Had a teacher call me stupid once and I never came back to his class, he never took the time to help me learn how to solve the problem. Do not ever tell someone they are stupid or call them names, they get enough of that at school from the kids and teachers.  I passed all of my classes with flying colors, my parents taught me the value of hard work and gave me lots of love so, I made it through alright. My motto is a Native American blessing: May your heart always be young and your dreams live forever!

6. adithgeorge profile image68
    adithgeorgeposted 10 years ago

There are many worse things parents can do to their underacheiving child.They will depromote him and will make grounded.They might take his pocket money and bonuses and will not send him for other events.They will start to think that he is of no use.Do remember that every child is unique and he has hidden talents.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)