What does it mean in the Bible where it says "no one can buy or sell without ..

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. LAURENS WRIGHT profile image64
    LAURENS WRIGHTposted 10 years ago

What does it mean in the  Bible where it says "no one can buy or sell without ..."

Do you think that this would include bartering? 
    Would you think that this would include just electronic transactions?
    Who is this referring to?
    How do you think that this could happen?

2. The Public Image profile image70
    The Public Imageposted 10 years ago

You're referring to the Book of Revelations, which is often mistaken by the fervent as being some kind of prophecy or prediction about the future. It wasn't. It was clearly an allegory about Rome, which at the time the book in question was written was a powerful city that certainly had it out for Christians. Notice how many "sevens" factor into the symbolism--Rome was famously built upon seven hills.

Paranoia has reigned supreme among fundamentalists for a long time, but sadly, awareness of basic literary techniques has not. Don't let other people dupe you with claims that Revelations has to do with the "end times." It talks about the end times, alright--of Rome.

1. John of the Cross profile image60
      John of the Crossposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very well stated; true dat.

2. lone77star profile image71
      lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And yet the rebirth of Israel 1947 and great star named wormwood (Chernobyl) have happened in modern times. Not all interpretations are right, even if they are clever.

3. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 10 years ago

That is (as The Public Image shared) a quote from Revelations 13:17 ("so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.") I am not a Bible scholar, yet familiar with history. In Rome the poor did not have money to buy and did not have products to sell. The beast and the mark some say alludes to government, taxation, and privilege. Again, not a Biblical scholar myself.

I draw conclusions with a parallel being another verse Proverbs 22:7 "The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender." Both seem to offer references toward those of riches and wealth with property and riches. Both are protected by government. Privilege as a buyer or seller is governed.

By no means am I inferring government is the 'beast' or the mark is its product, since not being a bible scholar. Even as suggested with the question becoming an eBay buyer and seller it is governed by membership, operating terms (even more so since purchasing is based on PayPal and selling too), and of course the actions of both selling and buying. The 'mark' could be (again a parallel only of thought) is membership of the governing elements.

Bartering is the exchange of goods. Money is only a means of exchanging like values with currency. Currency is just that it is a current in action the same as electricity some suggest. It is fluid and dynamic with values for worth. Electronic transfers is exchanging currency whether between nations or within intrastate or interstate markets.

Just some food for thought pondering the broad stroke of the brush. The source Revelations has immense usage of language and literature presenting its mysticism with prophecy. I tend to consider it prophetic, again not a bible scholar, with relevancy to the present contrasting history and offering a perspective (projection) for the future. I look for common sense meaning with those historical usages of language - grammar, literature - allegory, alliteration, euphuism, hyperbole, imagery, and etc, combined with the current times of history. That is when I may see some sense occurring and again I am not a bible scholar.

A note of oddity or not is the number 6 is the first perfect number in mathematics rooted with Greek thought around 100AD. Could we say those numbers really meant perfect, perfect, perfect? I dun'no . . .

LAURENS WRIGHTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for answering and your terrific comments.  Seems like history repeats itself and greed is part of the human equation.  With RFID chips, computers and data banks, tracking is so possible.

4. slcockerham profile image60
    slcockerhamposted 10 years ago

Another great question Lauren, it seems you ask these so others will think and prepare, rather than to get answers yourself.
    Personally, I believe this prophecy points to a literal fulfillment in a mark or a some Greek scholars point out. The original word indicates an etching, which would point toward a tattoo or a microchip, since they are basically electronic etchings. The recent push for RFID tattoos and microchip implants ties in neatly with the need to deal with immigration control, terrorism and security, national id, as well as dealing with the growing problem of identity theft. The new chips would probably be the ultimate control mechanism, since once installed they are hard to forge. They now sense body temp. so can't be amputated and used by thieves. Scanners for chips are already in hospitals and grocery stores.

The new national id is probably another step in that direction. I don't think they can control bartering, although governments try. The new affordable healthcare act sets up for your health records and banking to be accessible with electronic with a chip possibly being implemented. Some are saying that they have already received a chip for the AHA, with several pastors on video encouraging their people not to fear getting chipped. I have no need for any of their chips, that's where prepping, bartering goods and services, and survival  skills comes in. Prepare to have goods or services that others will need. The time is possibly very near. I'm just saying!

LAURENS WRIGHTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so very much for the wonderful and intelligent comments, slcockerham.  Time is the key, I think, along with control.  Just think, about 15 years ago, tracking and following each person was not possible, but now, with computers, possible.

5. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

I suppose we will have to wait and see. But I don't think we'll have to wait long.

RFID chips implanted under the skin? The Rockefellers apparently want to have this as a method of enslavement (see the late Aaron Russo's last interview on YouTube, with Alex Jones). But how does the number 666 come into this? Nick Rockefeller told Russo that no one would be able to buy or sell anything without the chip.

Some have pointed to the universal bar codes for products, because it uses 6's to separate the bar code fields 6  6  6.

And some have pointed to the Internet with its WWW, which in the Hebrew alphabet would be VVV = 666.

Perhaps it's all of these or none of these.

We should know, though, that End Times prophecies fulfillment has been ongoing for the last 65 years. It started with the rebirth of Israel. We saw it with the "great star named wormwood" ("Chernobyl" = "wormwood" in Ukrainian), in 1986.

I think bartering will be a perfect way to get around the mark of the beast. I get the impression, though, that in some jurisdictions, enforcement of the branding will be by penalty of death. Take the death, instead. Your Father will take care of you -- the real you.

The Rockefellers, Rothschilds and their psychopathic friends are likely the ones who will be implementing whatever the "mark" ends up being. They are the epitome of selfishness. They would murder millions to forward their plans and shrug at the suffering caused. For instance, Nick Rockefeller told the late Aaron Russo in October, 2000, about a big event coming up that would give "us" Iraq and Afghanistan. What big event did this? Why 9/11, of course. Evidence now proves that controlled demolition brought down all 3 buildings in New York. See http://AE911Truth.org for the scientific evidence.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)