How much can a retired couple get by on each month?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 9 years ago

How much can a retired couple get by on each month?

What do you estimate monthly living expenses are for retired people who either rent or don't own their own home. In spite of various costs of living per state, what would you say, ON AVERAGE, a retired couple would need to just "get by" - just basic food, clothing, electricity, gas, transportation.   Let's say, estimate from the lowest number to the highest number, between what amt. and what amt.?

2. LandmarkWealth profile image67
    LandmarkWealthposted 9 years ago

I can tell you after 2 decades of financial planning that their is a very wide disparity across couples.  This is affected by where you live regionally and other lifestyle factors.  As an example, to estimate something like transportation depends on mileage.  My client base ranges from middle class to some very wealthy families.  Among the average middle class family, they spend 5-7k per month for a combination of essential  and discretionary expenses.  I would make a guess-timate and say 3500-5000 is essential spending.  An example for a renter excluding discretionary items such as holidays, gifts and traveling might look as follows:

Rent $1500
    Renters Insurance $300 (Annual)
    Electric $75
    Phone/Cable/Internet $150
    Cell Phone $100
    Car payment  $200
    Auto Insurance $100
    Auto Fuel  $200
    Auto Maint  $50
    Auto Registration $120 (Annual)
    Auto Inspection $75 (Annual)
    Groceries $500
    Medicare Premiums $200
    Supplemental Plan $300  (Annual)
    Life Insurance $100
    Haircut/Salon $75
    Dental $1000  (Annual)
    Vision/New Glasses $200 (Annual)

Clearly this is specific to the couple.  And much of this can be quite a bit more or less depending on how you choose to live.

Billie Kelpinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Excellent breakdown, L!  These numbers seem quite "right on" For young people who shy away from financial planning, all I can say it "Don't! Force yourself to do it."  I like the guess-timate and think that is quite accurate. Very helpful! Thank you.

2. LandmarkWealth profile image67
      LandmarkWealthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're Welcome.  If you are having any trouble...Sometimes groups like NAPFA and the FPA have local advisors that due pro bono work. http://napfa.org/  or http://www.plannersearch.org/What-is-FP … ut-Us.aspx

3. Penny G profile image59
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

You can live on whatever you have, the more you have the more you spend. There are so many things you can do to control this. By the time we are retired we've all the frills,fun, toys, act. So, it's really pretty easy to live on a thread, Heck even our appetites are smaller. My husband and i are 3 years and 1 month from retirement. We have it all planned out. On modest retirements we will be living better than now.Get creative, plan ahead, get ready, write it down research it, read, read, read.

Penny G, thanks!  I like the "read, read, read," and maybe we should add the "write, write, write,"  (tee hee)

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

It really depends on where the couple (chooses) to live. Naturally one's money will go further in southern states like MS, AR, TN, KY, and AL. The more rural the area is typically the lower the rents are.
    Assuming the couple has paid off their cars they'd most likely be able to live in the above mentioned states on $1800 to $2000 per month. Odds are the couple could easily find a one bedroom apartment in the $600 to $800 range in these southern states. Naturally other factors come into play such as (hidden rental offers) that one learns about through word of mouth rather through large rental magazine advertisements where the landlord owns a unit and is primarily looking to have a good long-term tenant and is willing to charge less than market value rent. There are also other rental properties specifically designed for people age 55 and over in some states as well. Overall I'd say housing is the most expensive living expense.
    As for major cities like NY, LA, Chicago, (without owning a home) it would be difficult to live in a nice (safe) area and meet your living expenses for less than $2500 per month. The further out from the city the lower the rents tend to be. The best options are in small towns with less than 10,000  residents.

D, Thank you!  That's what we found out when we were living in SC about 10 yrs ago.  A furnished apt was $800.  You can stay in an RV in southern CA for $1200 and under.  We essentially live in 460 sq ft., but u don't need much  when u can be outside

5. TheMoneyMadam profile image61
    TheMoneyMadamposted 9 years ago

Know your expenses well.  Write them down then spend less than you make in income.    Invest with a simple discipline that will provide about a 3-4% income that increases every year.  Being debt free with your residence paid for is helpful.

TheMoneyMadam

Dear TMM, very helpful to know that percentage.  We sold a house to be debt free and only have our RV payment.  I also feel like I want to soar in our business and INCREASE our income.  There IS an audacity to hope, but I'm becoming audacious!

6. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 9 years ago

Difficult to answer. If on a state program for medical assistance like in Calif being Medi-Medi (Medicare-Medical), or Medicare and no supplemental insurance, modest living arrangements, no major catastrophes, minimal transportation with savings to cover new tires and maintenance over 4 years, then I would think between 24K to 28K would work.

What would the neighborhood be like and such as that is a question. That is planning on 800 - 1050 for rent. Where I live that gets a single bedroom in an atypical neighborhood. The question is comfort and unforeseen or unable to plan for catastrophe. Those are just as in regular life hard to plan for and much less able to recover from when in retirement. IMHO

We put ourselves in a great neighbor by living in an RV.  We have no truck and have to move it every six months. It's small, but I have a computer desk and we have a queen size bed.  We actually love it.  It feels like a perpetual vacation!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)