What incident changed your life forever?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. DDE profile image45
    DDEposted 9 years ago

What incident changed your life forever?

People make different choices and sometimes  certain incidents can change your life forever. What was your greatest move that changed your life and you  know that nothing will ever be the same again?

2. poppyr profile image91
    poppyrposted 9 years ago

Going to Japan was a pretty big deal because I met my husband there.  He's from the USA and I'm from the UK, so if we hadn't met in Tokyo we wouldn't have met at all.  It wasn't so much an 'incident' as a chance chain of events.  But we're very happy it happened smile

1. DDE profile image45
      DDEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A wonderful match and so interesting of you met. I met my husband in SA and he is Croatian. Thank you

2. RockyMountainMom profile image68
      RockyMountainMomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I somehow missed this comment earlier, and nearly duplicated the chain of events part! I also never would have met my husband otherwise. Alaska was not as far away, but clearly you both understand that piece.  Very neat.

3. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Hi DDE. Since you specifically refer to events based on choices we made, I'd say leaving the stability of a job with a salary and stepping out on my own to expand my solo business. It has changed my lifestyle forever. But if I could speak to incidents that changed my outlook forever, not related to choices I made, I'd put 9/11 as #1 and the Beltway Shootings as #2. Those incidents changed the choices I made about something as routine as going to a gas station to fill my tank or riding the train on a particular day. Increased awareness about terrorist attacks in the US changed my perceptions about how we, as opposed to the rest of the world, take our safety and freedoms for granted.

1. DDE profile image45

Exactly that we tend to take daily activities for granted and not see much until tragedy strikes thank you.

4. IndependentMind profile image77
    IndependentMindposted 9 years ago

Sadly, it was the death of the only person i have ever loved in this lifetime;  and have never been able to replace.
    If i had never had to experience that tragedy my life today would be totally different.  It was over 45 years ago, and the pain is as real today as when it happened. 
    Everything else that had changing effects were pale in comparison.

1. DDE profile image45

Sorry about  your loss. Nobody can understand that or feel that unless they were in your shoes. Thank you for sharing your experience. God Bless!

5. RockyMountainMom profile image68
    RockyMountainMomposted 9 years ago

As with janshares' answer, my events are broken into choice-based versus non-choice-based events.

By choice:

An exchange program to Alaska as an undergraduate brought my husband and I together over sixteen years ago.  He and our two children make that my highest ranking event, as it took a very precise chain of events from that decision for my husband and I to cross paths. 

Also as with the answer from janshares, I've left a good salary (recently). I've done this in order to regain my health after a Lyme disease relapse this spring.  So we'll see in a year (my employer gave me a year to think about it---the scoundrels!) whether or not this ranks second.  Second so far is fighting being forced into disability in my first year of Lyme disease, resulting in a federal disability discrimination case (and getting my job back after flying to DC to mediate).

Non-choice events:

Our daughter's miraculous recovery from abdominal tumors without chemo as a toddler.

Contracting Lyme disease four years ago, enduring Bell's palsy early on, and being misdiagnosed for the first three years of this illness.

These are the kind of events that shake you out of the life sucking politics of our daily lives.  Unfortunately we humans sometimes need more than a few to really make the learning stick.

I'm struggling now to regain my health, but also to forgive the broken elements of our health care regulatory structure that caused it, and to accept that some of the damage from the three year delay in treatment may be with me for longer than I want them to be.

1. DDE profile image45

Wow! What an experience for you. Sometimes one has to face up to any challenge and you  are very strong to have come this far with all that you have been through thank you and take care

6. Penny G profile image62
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

Seeing an Angel rescue my small son and than vanish before my eyes!

1. DDE profile image45

Incredible feeling! Thank you

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)