Why are people still portraying Jesus white, when we know he is Black?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (39 posts)
  1. profile image53
    peter565posted 9 years ago

Why are people still portraying Jesus white, when we know he is Black?

There are written and archaeological evidence proving Jesus is a black guy. The bible itself wrote, Jesus skin is the "color of burning wood.". The modern image of white Jesus was created during the 5th century and is really a painting of the then Catholic pop's son. During the Crusades the Catholic destroy image of black Jesus worship by Christians in former East Roman Empire and replace with their white one. Now in the 21st century, why are people still worshiping this false image of Jesus, constructed by a bunch of dark ages racist?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11878750_f260.jpg

2. cjhunsinger profile image60
    cjhunsingerposted 9 years ago

Are you saying that due to the racist depiction of the mythical figure of Jesus, it somehow nullifies the message? Are these accounts of the skin tone of this guy first hand accounts or hearsay renditions, as are all others? By East Roman Empire, are you referring to the Byzantine Empire, which in itself does not carry a great deal of credibility toward a definition of truth.

1. profile image53
      peter565posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am saying the modern image of white Jesus, is constructed with racist intention.  And therefore I believe, it is a highly inappropriate and offensive way to depict Jesus.

3. Old-Empresario profile image71
    Old-Empresarioposted 9 years ago

It is a little irritating when people get hung up on this. Clearly the blonde and light-skinned depictions of Jesus are wrong. We all know that. These images are ethnocentric to white Europeans who probably had trouble accepting a Judean Jesus after worshiping Olympian gods for 1,500 years. When you say "black", do you mean Jesus was African? Why does no one want to see a Semetic Jewish Jesus depicted? I suppose the short answer to your question is we don't really know exactly what he looked like. The day someone with a PhD produces a compelling answer to this question, I might pay attention.

1. profile image53

I would refer you to the following lecture been recorded on youtube title " The Bible, The True Black (Israel) History " smile

2. profile image49
      Barbararuth53posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google the image of the "Black Madonna" and you will see a dark-skinned Blessed Virgin Mary and Christ-child. Middle-age and Renaissance painters typically painted the Christ as White because they had never probably met a Palestinian Jew!

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 9 years ago

What does it matter what Jesus looked like? He is still the savior of all of mankind. God plays no favors when it comes to color, race, gender, etc. The picture on the right probably portrays more of what Jesus looked like. He was born in the Middle east and I am sure he looks like the people who live there today. Dark skin, dark hair, etc. I think calling him black would be a stretch unless you think all middle easterners are black.

1. cjhunsinger profile image60
      cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

JT
      The picture on the right looks to be a mug shot of someone arrested for drunk and disorderly. The guy on the left looks holy. I'll go with him.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 9 years agoin reply to this

cj.. I was talking about his hair color and his skin color. Jesus was born in the middle east.

3. cjhunsinger profile image60

JT
      Where in the middle east and what was the date of birth?

4. profile image0

Bethlehem of course. The exact day is not known.

5. cjhunsinger profile image60

JT--So, 12/25/00 is not the correct date? Do you know the date of his death? Certainly, you must know the date when he ascended into heaven?

6. profile image0

Many Bible scholars have came to the conclusion through the Bible and who ruled at the time that Jesus was crucified around 33 AD. AD does not mean after death. It means Anno Domini. He was crucified on Friday and has risen on Sunday.

5. tsadjatko profile image65
    tsadjatkoposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11879143_f260.jpg

You say "The bible itself wrote, Jesus skin is the "color of burning wood."
    ???
    Really? What chapter and verse is that in? I can't find it. And who would describe "color of burning wood" as Black? - I visualize it as reddish.

So it appears you have raised a straw man argument (in other words a sham), and you are a race baiter.

Gee, why does the word liberal come to my mind? Let's see where you are coming from and look at your profile and hub pages you have written...well, oh my, guess not cause there is nothing there!
    So odds are you are a flaming liberal who has created a new hubpage identity to hide your true self. Nice try, but it's not even worth giving you the time of day.

1. profile image53

The following youtube video, provide audience with bible text that describe Jesus' appearan.Please  find video with this title.  "Jesus Christ was Black(A Negro)! - Biblical Breakdown "

2. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is the biggest bunch of crap I ever saw.Revelation was a vision full of imagery & there is no Biblical reference whatsoever to Jesus skin being the "color of burning wood (even in your video). Jesus may have dark skin but you haven't proved

6. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 9 years ago

Jesus may have had darker skin and hair than what is typically portrayed in art, but he wasn't "black". His human characteristics would have been the same as any Hebrew man of his time, which would be the same as any pure blood Hebrew man you'd meet today. Do a Google search for pictures of modern Hebrew people and you'll get a better idea what Jesus really looked like while he lived on earth. The picture on the right is probably fairly accurate, but I don't see a "black" man in that picture, just a man with darker skin than a European "white" man.

Now for the second part of your comment. I'd have to ask why anyone at all would be worshiping any image of Jesus? Who cares what the pictures look like? We should be worshiping the spirit of the man because of what he did for us, not what any of us perceive as the physical image of that man. I do have a few of the "classic" images of Jesus in my house, but that isn't to remind of me of what he looks like. They serve as a reminder of what he taught, what he did for me, and how I should be living my life.

None of will know for sure exactly what he looks like until we stand before him to be judged.

7. FitnezzJim profile image77
    FitnezzJimposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11880265_f260.jpg

I had to go find something that would give me an indication of what the color of burning flame looked like.  Even after finding a picture, I see white, reddish, yellow and black.  Could it be that whatever verse that is in the Bible was deliberately intended to be all inclusive?
    And, would it not be nice if it was?

1. tsadjatko profile image65

Great observation,  that would probably be true Jim, if there was such a verse - there isn't. Search for yourself - easy to do online https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearc … ersion=NIV

2. profile image53

Some correction after checking the original text it said "his arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze" not "burned wood", it is "burned bronze" Daniel 10:6

3. tsadjatko profile image65

So you make up quotes from the Bible to put forth an argument and use a ridiculous you tube video as eviddence- who are you, a child. You know nothing of which you speak.

4. profile image53

I am starting to suspect tsadjatko might be a white supremacists, this sort of hostility and anger to suggestion that Jesus ain't white, seem too radical for someone whom ain't racist. (my apologies if I am wrong)

8. flpalermo profile image60
    flpalermoposted 9 years ago

You don't need a PhD. to answer this question. Let God tell you Himself:
    Isaiah 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. He was an average looking Judean of His time, like the picture on the right.
    The fellow on the left is the "Traditional Christian Jesus."

1. flpalermo profile image60
      flpalermoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

cer1056:  Ooops! I forgot you were a scientist.

2. profile image53

My master degree is in social science, adding that I ain't Christian. When I look at the white Jesus image, I see it from a social science and historical point of view rather then a religion one and ask why this false image, what does it mean?

9. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 9 years ago

Jesus was from Nazareth and a Semite. He would have been neither white nor black. He would have been brown-skinned.

But the question I think you need to ask yourself is do you truly believe the Nazarene cares what image his followers see him in - or is his message what mattered to him? The second thing you should ask yourself is this: do you honestly believe Jesus would go around accusing people of racism because their idea of what he looks like is inspired by a portrait painted out of devotion? I personally think Jesus of Nazareth was a far too good a man to be that petty.

10. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 9 years ago

Ok. So what if you are right?

When we are comfortable with our spirituality, we become tolerant of human beings and look for meaning in the depth of our Souls and not in the peripheries. This is a mental thing. People are generally comfortable where they are in spite of others views, and indeed until such time as they grow - like the child - they should be given the warmth and shelter to learn their own lessons.

Spirituality is not separation; it is not even acceptance. It is the feeling of universal Oneness. But again, I know that this is just one view. Let us leave room for the many Mansions of the Soul. Follow yours with confidence, and let others follow theirs. Look within. I do not know of anyone who has found peace in a different place. God speed!

11. cer1056 profile image44
    cer1056posted 9 years ago

I don't know what Bible you say you are quoting , But I find no reference to Jesus color - So what is the Bible Verse?

Give me evidence, not modern fashionable political correctness!

1. flpalermo profile image60
      flpalermoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What color is the average Judean? Go to Israel and look around. Brown, white, red heads, What part of "average" don't you understand? Do you think He was African Judean?

2. cer1056 profile image44
      cer1056posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You didn't answer the question - What bible verse? - just more of the same modern political correctness tripe!
      Give me the evidence not the Guess!

3. profile image53

Some correction after checking the original text it said "his arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze" not "burned wood", it is "burned bronze" Daniel 10:6
      http://www.bible.ca/ef/expository-revel … -12-18.htm

4. cer1056 profile image44
      cer1056posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Dan 10:6 does not support the contention of the arguement.
      Arms and legs of burnished brass  - sounds like a nice tan, not a black or other colored person

5. profile image53

That is definitely possible and something all historians acknowledge, but most historian's interpretation, believe it is more likely to mean he is black, rather then a good tan.

12. profile image57
    Jeffrey Lyonposted 9 years ago

Jesus was not black or white.  He was born in Nazareth.  He is of middle eastern origin.

13. cebutouristspot profile image78
    cebutouristspotposted 9 years ago

No image should be worship at all. IMHO.  Either he is black or white should hold no bearing

1. profile image57
      Jeffrey Lyonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agreed!

14. ii3rittles profile image79
    ii3rittlesposted 9 years ago

Jesus's skin and hair was that of an Egyptian man. He was not black and he was not white. Common sense tells you that! Look at where each culture originated from and the times throughout history that portray how people looked.

I for one follow this " Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

In other words, pretending we have any idea of what Jesus looked like and portraying him in such a way, and actually valuing these objects is against what God commands.

15. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 9 years ago

He was white not black. Hebrews were all white.
    Take Moses who married an Ethiopian (black) woman and they rejected Moses for it. If he was black it wouldn't have mattered.
    My Husband's family are Hebrew. It was those who intermarried that had black children
    Numbers 12:1
    And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman.

1. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

JESUS is "I AM!"  JESUS is "A SPIRIT!"  JESUS is to ALL however He wishes to appear!  If you are White in your spirit, He is White, If you are Black in your spirit, He is Black.  (Jn 4:24). Gal 3:28 says "Neither Jew nor Greek..."for ye are all 1 in

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)